1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Along With Relatives

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Gogio, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Gogio

Gogio New IL'ite

We have settled down in our native place after long years in different parts of India.We built our house a little away from my in laws house.They helped us to build this house did the supervision at the time of house construction.My husband is educated and retired in a higher position.Iam working through on line.Most of my husband's relatives are in Gulf countries.Some are labor class and most of them are graduates.Though there is some internal conflicts they are very close to one another.They formed a group in Gulf also_Only a few relatives visit us.When they are on vacation they visit all other houses expect us.One of my husband's brother who is a Gulf returned person send his car to collect each one of them from the airport.There are meeting and stay in his house.For functions and ceremonies although they invite us I feel neglected in these groups.My children are educated and are in U.S.A.Once one of his uncles invited my husband and his brothers and wives to go to see a boy for his daughter.There though he introduced every body including my husband I was excepted.I find it difficult to attend ceremonies because of this.Iam an introvert.What to do

2. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Dear @Gogio,
    First of all enjoy and celebrate being an Introvert. You need not do/ enjoy the family gathering like everyone else, let alone the gathering where you are intentionally being left out. So do not beat yourself up to be present in the company of people / relatives. Refuse tactfully. And keep yourself busy if the demand comes.

Second of all, if you can get your hands on please read a book " The introvert's advantage-how quiet people can thrive in an extrovert world". IT has helped me and DH quite a lot in finally understanding why we are wired to be introverts. I tried being an extrovert for a long time due to work requirements, but never really felt that to be a real me. I came across an article here . It speaks a great volume on how to embrace your introversion.

Enjoy your life honey. Why worry?
    I generally follow the rule- not my circus, not my monkeys!

sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Gogio

Gogio New IL'ite

I tried to avoid gatherings by refusing tactfully and I tried to develop my own hobbies and now Iam proud of my own talents .I earn money from my on line job.i read the book "the introvert's advantage how quiet people can thrive in an extrovert world".I understood the difference between introverts and extroverts

Sandycandy and Dishaa like this.
  4. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

Well done! I hope things are better now and there’s no shame in being an introvert. Sometimes it takes time settling into a family.