Getting a driving license in Dubai!

Discussion in 'Personal Services in Dubai' started by Sylviaram, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Jay,

Thanks sooo much for your response. I was in India for a month and so could not log into Indus Ladies. I will have to try again now... Your words have given me some encouragement.. Lets hope that I get thru this attempt. This will be my fourth one.

I really appreciate your response!

Regards

2. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sylvia.

I was confused coz most of my friends took manual and passed after the 6th or 7th attempt! But they told me that its better to learn manual. I'm not learning driving for the thrill ... just for necessity ... so not that I was interested in manual !!!

Shall let u know once I register n pass ... n hope that happens soon!!!

3. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Good morning Swetha,

The point is.. If you take a Manual Licence, you can drive a manual car and also an automatic car. Its not possible the other way.. If you have an automatic licence, you cant drive a manual car. Its easier getting an automatic licence. So, you have to decide what car you want to buy and then decide on the licence.

These days there arent many manual cars on the road. I have enrolled for automatic licence and have failed 3 times already. They dont give licences that easily anymore due to the increase in road traffic and accidents. You have to be extremely lucky or an amazing driver to get it thru in the first/second attempt.

The price difference for classes between Manual and Automatic is just 5dhs per class. So, you decide what you want to do.

Good Luck to you!

4. swethakrishnan

Thats y my dad was saying that I must go in for manual ... but if I dont pass soon, I will get bored! I dont think we will buy a car for me as soon as I get my license ... I will be driving my parents cars, which are both automatic ... so I think a manual license is better ... just waiting to go and register with EDI now!

5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

:hatsoffDear Swetha

My daughter who is just 19 years completed applied at Dubai Driving Centre and already has passed Side Parking, Garage Parking and Hill already. She is practising in a Manual vehicle only. It is always better for long term necessity to practise manual, as in India we have mostly manual vehicle. With manual licence you can drive automatic also. But with automatic you cannot drive manual car.

Even with little longer time to get the licence, it is worth waiting to get a manual licence.
    With you all the Best of Luck.:cheers

Warm Regards
    Shantisubra

6. swethakrishnan

My parents were also asking me to take manual ... but I wasnt quite sure ...
    Can u let me know of some good institutes here? I only know EDI and Belhasa ... didnt know abt Dubai Driving centre ....

7. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Swetha

Dubai Driving Centre main office is in Port Rashid, Dry Docks area. They have office in I Floor, Khaleej Centre in Bur Dubai. They are slightly, comparatively not over booked and we got the date and time quickly. EDI, Belhasa, Galadari are fully booked and waiting time to get the first drive will be 4~6 months.

BTW, where do you reside? You can accordingly choose the nearby office of DDC.

Wish you all the Best of Luck.

Warm Regards
    Shanti Subramanian
    28-1-08

8. pratiksha

pratiksha New IL'ite

hii ppl,
    i recently applied for manual license..but im not getin da motivation factor from anybody aroun me,everyone is like it wud b tough to get a manual license but i personaly feel tht it takes almost da same time but to get a manual license is sumthin worth though i wud drive an auto finaly in dubai
    i need few suggestions from nybody here,who cud help wit da dilemna,i stil can change to automatic but in 2 minds of doin so..need help soon !
    and i wud even be grateful if sumone cuz leme kno da charges of applyin for manual aftr havin an auto lincense..
    thanks,tkcare..
    pratiksha

9. Sylviaram

Sylviaram Bronze IL'ite

Hey Folks!!!

Yipeee!!! Finally.. after 3 painful trials, I got my driving license in the fourth attempt. I am soooo happy. I got it on 5h March and I am still not able to believe it. My husband got it the same week. I guess March is a good month for us. We went ahead and bought a brand new Ford Explorer!

Life in Dubai is getting better and Dubai is looking a lot more beautiful to us today!

I pray that all those of you who are trying for a license will get lucky this month!

Good Luck!
    Sylvia

10. Preethi Patnaik

Preethi Patnaik New IL'ite

Dear Sylvia,

Congratulations on getting your licence once again (in the post this time). It was fun reading thru the posts and so i thought i would add to it :). Thats one more post for me and 45 to go :) . Now you can drive down and meet up.

Safe driving.

bye
    preethi