1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Get wholesome food this season.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Dec 29, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

New year is round the corner. There are a whole lot of resolutions. In the year 2006 it was a whole lot of writes .. stories and poems. 2007 was `busy’ bee writing little compared to 2006.
    Whenever I visit bookstalls, I usually pick up health books. Some books do offer insights to things we already know. For example when I picked up a book on herbs at Saraswathi mahal library at tanjore it gave splendid uses for seasame oil which I already knew but practiced little.
    There was a study reported in an old magazine that I bought on the roadside about sprouts and its uses and another about nuts. My DH is always for wholesome foods and insists on brown rice be cooked everyday at least for him. After he wrote an article about green revolution for someone, he keeps telling the whole population is eating only rice and wheat whereas there is quite a lot of nutrients in other grains bajra millet ragi etc. ya I feel we don’t even know the English names for a few of them and wouldn’t recognize one from the other.he says people have been tricked by vested interests to let go of other grains for polished rice etc.
    One study reported that sprouts if taken for about fifty days… the study says forty five ..will increase sperm count in men. Now that is news..! with junk food, fast food .jiffy food, old food fridge food ..drink food.!!!! .some people live on coffee ya…
    Try atleast one sprouted item everyday.
    Green gram chickpeas peas mochai etc…I try this I order about one kg of navadhanyam. nine types are mixed together each one for one planet. My grocer is kind enough to include rajma, white peas etc etc that do not really belong to navadhanyam… I put a handful or two in water wash and see if there are any stones..(there are….!) then leave overnight soaking. Next morning wash again with fresh water. Drain with just a little water and put it in a hot pack to sprout. You can also put it in a wet cloth and keep in a vessel. Evening there is little sprout. Wash again drain and store in fridge. stays fresh for a week.
    if you forget to wash or lookup the sprout even for a day or few hours before you refreigerate it will stink. so you have to be alert.
    Use in salad,
    Grind a little in mixie, add rice flour to make instant dosa.
    ………..Do…………..add fresh ground rice flour to make idli
    ……….DO………… add ragi semiya etc to make adai with onions etc
    Add to kootu /sabji instead of usual dhall…
    The choices are too long to list here…I even use it to sauté…I use the black dhall instead of usual white urud dhall….!
    When it comes to health for the future..why not change.?

Wish you all
    A wholesome 2008

sathya

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

This is very informative. Recently I started using sprouts. I read somewhere that Rajma has toxins when sprouted....is it true? The Maharashtrian dish of Matki misal/Usal is a good way to use sprouts.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi satya,

very informative. i use most the cereals ragi, bajra and millet..all in dosas/vegetable adai.nothing can beat the koozhu..of ragi or millet...

i also use the sprouts..but not religiously...will try to incorporate them regularly now..somehow, i don't like the ones from the supermarket shelves...

In chennai, now you get 7 must bread made of 7 cereals...good thing that can be used for sandwiches.

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathya
    Great article and wonderful writeup
    I am totally with u in this
    I use sprouts everyday. Normally i used to just stir fry with onion and little masala and have it . But a few days back I did something that i liked. I have a slow cooker and I put these sprouts to cook in it as i was busy and by evening turned out so good.
    I eat a lot of brown rice, barley , broke wheaT etc but family is difficult to convert.
    They dont mind whole wheat pasta, brown rice occassionaly not everyday though.
    Thanks for sharing. I have yet to try the one adding flour. Please do share. These ideas are v.good for health and losing wt. too.

5. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

dear sathya,

Wonderful article, past few days ive been thinking how to sprout dhals without using cloth, your hotpack tip is very useful. Recently we also made navadhanyam adai with soya, black channa, green/brown moong, rice, urad, channa,black eye beans, and tur

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sathy...

It was informative.

I too use sprouts. I boil it slightly and have 'sundals'. It has been occasional though.

Now plan to make it a regular item in the coming yr.

Thanx.

Bye

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello nivedi

i do not know about rajma being toxic when sprouted. the amount that we use is very less. perhaps it was grown in soil where chemical fertilizers were high. or was used after a long time. sprouts can bring foul smell and change in chemical combinations if it is not used fresh. it would be nice if someone could confirm about rajma sprouts being toxic or not.

sathya

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello shanthi

so there is seven cereals bread. since i dont go for bakery items i didnt know. glad to know they are also changing for the good. the ones in supermarket are sprouted in a different way so dont taste as good as it is prepared at home.

sathya

9. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello chitra

glad to know that more and more people are getting to eat sprouts. your stir fry with onion mmmmmm smells too good..ahaha
    there is no use pointing out the plus of health food to people including family. you have to take the silent revolution path. do one item everyday....try something new...then after sometime they will demand it be made that way...
    will try and give one item i make everyday ...it is difficult to write down...but will try...

sathya

10. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello suja

nice to know you made navadhanyam adai too.. after eating this type of adai ...it is difficult to go back(?) to usual adai... this tastes so good that we feel we have always been in love with this type of adai...ahaha

sathya