Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Re: Gestational diabeties.....Help

Hi all

Thank you for the info......BowBow

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

If you are in the US and you are diagnosed with GD then your doc will definitely send you to a GD management class. Even otherwise you can ask your hospital where you are planning to deliver about such classes - most of them are free. They teach you how to test for blood sugar at home and also teach you how to count your total carbohydrates - this gives you an idea as to how much of what type of food you can consume for every meal. Even if you don't have GD you can attend the nutrional counselling part of it to learn how to make your diet a healthy one. Also they teach about the importance of exercise in everyday life.

-L.

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

The key to maintaining blood sugar levels is a diet balanced in carbs and proteins. Too much carbs causes blood sugars to spike, and must be balanced with an equal or more amount of protein. Aim for 60-100gms of protein per day and no more than 150-200gms of carbs per day.

For example, for breakfast, I have a slice of bread(10 net carbs, 3 protein) with a tablespoon of almond butter (7 protein, 3 net carbs) or a slice of bread with a slice of cheese (8 protein).

For lunch and dinner, have chappatis or rice with daal and veggies, and some protein such as paneer, tofu, soya nutrella or meat/eggs if you are non-veg. As long as your proteins and carbs are relatively balanced, your sugars will be in control.

For snacks, try roasted nuts such was walnuts and almonds, protein shakes, cheese with fruit, eggs etc. Remember to eat atleast 5 times a day - breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2-3 snacks.

Above all, the thing that has helped me the most is walking 15-20 minutes after lunch and dinner. Doing so reduces your after-meal sugar by atleast 30 points.

Are you using a blood sugar monitor? This will really help you figure out which food suits you and which does not. In my case, certain types of bread suited me (orowheat oat bread or sara lee low carb) but others spiked my sugar too much. By trial and error, I was able to figure out what I can eat for example, no more than 1/2 cup of rice for lunch or 1 cup at dinner.

Hope this helps!

4. shivangi B

shivangi B New IL'ite

What diet plan should I follow in this case?
    I'll appreciate if some gynac doctor or diabetes expert would give indian diet plan...

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Glucose Tolerance test during pregnancy

Hello All:

I am in my 30th week of Pregnancy. My Gestational Diabeties test was done and my count is 162. Anything above 130 is high it seems. So the Dr has asked me to go for a Glucose Tolerance test,which will be for 3 hours, with hourly blood draw. I am not supposed to eat anything 10 hours prior and not anything during the 3 hour test.

I am really tensed and scared. Does it mean that i am diabetic ? What should i do now ? Should i completely cut down on sugar ?

MAYA.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Re: Glucose Tolerance test during pregnancy

Dear Maya,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Please don't be tensed. Your doctor will give you a diet plan. Scrictly observe that. Stop taking white sugar in tea, coffee etc. After the delivery, thery will do a test again, Most of the time, it will come out normal.
    I too had GD when I was expecting my son. Now he is in his late teens. The nurse advised me that after the delivery, try to watch the weight and take walks daily.
    Do not worry because that can elevate the sugar levels.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  8. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Maya,
    Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I was also diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes when pregnant with my son. I am fine now (he is 17 months old now).

Please do not go on any diets before the glucose test. You should avoid refined sugar/simple carbohydrate products the day before the test.

As the doctor said you have to fast for a minimum of 10 - 12 hours. When you reach the lab/doctor office you will be given an orange-flavoured drink. This will contain a certain amount of glucose (I am not sure how much; around 75 mg - 100 mg). This drink will be terribly sweet. Ask the nurse to give you a chilled one. You will have to drink this with in 5 - 10 minutes and then the time will start.
    One hour after you have consumed the drink and every hour thereafter, the nurse will draw your blood. Please make sure you keep time and call the nurse if she does not come with in 5 minutes of the hour being over. This is so that you can get the tests done and get out and go home to rest.

Remember - You can have water before and during the test.

After the test the doctor might declares that you have gestational diabetes. In this case, as Sundarusha says please do not worry. You will be referred to a dietician.

All the best
    Gayathri

9. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hi Usha and Gayatri:

Thank you so much for your consoling words. I am just hoping all goes fine with the test. The worst part is, me having to be on a fast for 14 to 15 hoursbonk.
    I have to have atleast something every 2 hours, i dont know how i will manage for that many hours.

Well should i start cutting down on my sugar or sweet intake from now on ? Do suggest me some good eats.

Thanks,
    MAYA.

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hey don't worry. GD is pretty common in pregnancy and is totally controllable. Your doc will give you a diet plan to follow, which basically would indicate eating more protein and less carbs, as well as eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks.

My doc put me on a medicine called glyburide and it allows me to pretty much eat whatever I want within moderation ... which is very helpful given my cravings for taco bell and mcdonalds fries!

The medicince, combined with diet and moderate excercise will ensure you a smooth pregnancy. Infact, I think, that due to GD we become more careful about our diet and excercise routine which is helpful to mommy and baby in the long run.

To me the bad part is having to take my blood sugars 4 times a day using a home blood monitor machine, but you get used to it after a while.

The test sucks I know but you have to get yourself through it somehow. Don't think too much about it. Just rest and relax. It will be over before you know it!

Pooja