Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

2. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

HI ALL

I am diagonised with GD at 12weeks.

I am on diet and insulin (No excercise as FET pregnancy, complete bed rest)

I am using 20units morning and 10units in night(nothing in noon)
    Is it high dose for 17 weeks ???

Still sometimes i get anything between 130-150.
    (Like one reading of day, or one reading in 2-3days goes above 130)

Do you all always get below 120 ???

How much dose per day you are taking ?

3. mrithulanaren

mrithulanaren Gold IL'ite

@sumalynux
    a month before diagnosed with GD even though my hba1c came non -diabetic.
    my fasting levels are always between 85-95.
    though my conception is normal but its precious to my gyncec (since conceived i after ivf failure.)
    already i was overweight before conception. so to control my weight gain and post sugar levels am talking insulin. as of now 10 units in the morning alone.
    not doing any check at home. started with 4 units then 8 and now fixed at 10 units.
    in my last check level came around 120. (2 hr post lunch)

strictly no sugar/no jaggery / no fruits / no protinex
    upto 15 weeks i was on metformin tabs (500mg thrice/twice/once a day)

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

@mrithulanaren
    wont u check sugar levels every time u have meal. I am advised to check fasting an 1.5hrs after breakfast lunch dinner. For now m taking 20 units morning and 10 units nite.

When when is ur due date

5. mrithulanaren

mrithulanaren Gold IL'ite

@sumalynux,
    No not checking at home but every Saturday at lab checking fasting and only post lunch sample.
    Depend on weekly result Dr adjusted dosage.
    As per anamoly scan Due date is July 15.
    Any way d mile stone is to cross 37 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  6. nagasahithya

nagasahithya New IL'ite

If you have high blood sugar, you run the risk of developing preterm labor.
    Your baby may develop low blood sugar after birth if you have this gestational diabetes.

7. Saisakshi3

Saisakshi3 New IL'ite

I am 30 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am very worried and need you advice. I am usually very healthy and active .I had a good diet I normally eat good and health. Even after good and health diet I don't gain much weight but I show steady and marginal weight increases .Now with this diabetes
    I have to cut my diet and I feel I am eating quarter of what I ate earlier. I am now feeling very week and I am scared if I don't put on weight it will effect the baby .With the food amount I eat I feel it is very less but for the sugar count to stay low I am eating small portion and healthy. Is there anything I should be worried of? I also feel very week becoz of less diet .Please advice

8. Newbie87

Newbie87 Bronze IL'ite

@Saisakshi3- hi, please don't worry about babys weight gain - I am sure it will be fine regardless of your weight gain- reason I say this is, my weight gain hasnt been to the doctor's liking but I am pretty sure the same cannot be said of the baby as of my last scan at least. Hoping it stays the same , but, my point is please don't drastically reduce your food consumption for GD. I have found that ragi, brown rice are some of the things that really help in controlling sugar. Kindly see if you might like having them. All the very best to you for a smooth rest-of-pregnancy.

9. VKumaraswamy

VKumaraswamy Senior IL'ite

Hi Saisakshi3, please do not worry about your baby being affected by your not gaining weight during pregnancy. Babies are like parasites (I mean this in a nice way) and will get first choice of the nutrients that you eat. I had gestational diabetes with my daughter six years ago and put on about 5 kg during the entire pregnancy. Had to be induced early because babies of mums with gestational diabetes tend to be big. My daughter is a big healthy girl now. A plus point about not eating much during pregnancy is that you will find it easier to get back into shape later (v important as women with gestational diabetes have a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes in later life and need to watch their weight). All the best.

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Saisakthi:
    One indication of untreated (or adequately treated) diabetes is that the person cannot gain weight. I suspect that you think that treating diabetes is to just not eat which is totally wrong and not healthy. Please if the doctor wants to give you medication, do that and also follow the diet you are given. Your understanding of diabetes is not good.

After you deliver the baby, your diabetes may go away or it may be with you. Please be careful as I have several diabetic friends who didn't take care of themselves and are now having serious problems.