Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

From Mayo article,

"The following fruit servings contain about 15 grams of carbohydrates:
    • 1/2 medium banana
    • 1/2 cup (83 grams) cubed mango
    • 1 1/4 cup (190 grams) cubed watermelon
    • 1 1/4 cup (180 grams) whole strawberries
    • 1/3 cup (80 grams) sapodilla (chikoo) 3/4 cup (124 grams) cubed pineapple "

Banana is 1/2 and not full and 15 grams of carbs are fine for snacks. Half apple may be fine and not full one.

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

GD patient needs to be more cautious with fruits and less with chicken because of drastic difference in their carb content. While making a decision to eat, the patient need not think much before eating chicken but certainly needs to count and measure while eating fruits. That is what I stated.

I felt that in one of the posts in this thread - it was stated that "Lot of fruits are allowed". Lot could mean variety or quantity. So I added a correction that fruits need to be consumed in less quantities as they are restricted due to the easily digestible sugar in them.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@simplemom I feel your basis for comparison is itself wrong. For any person with GD, they need to have a balanced diet. The diet needs to include fruits, veggies, meats (if vegetarian then other protein source), dairy.

You cannot compare chicken with fruits. Chicken is a protein source. Fruits are carbs but a low GI food. A person cannot go on eating chicken mindlessly just because it is not a carb source. They definitely need carbs too.

Managing GD is about finding the right carbs to eat and not about eliminating carbs. The dietary requirements are different for each pregnant women. Articles state facts. It is up to the pregnant woman to adjust her diet based on her needs/body.

4. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Can you please tell me what is my basis? Where did I compare chicken and fruits? Where did I say you can eat chicken mindlessly just because it is not carb source? Where did I say GD patient don't need carbs?

All I am asking for GD patient is to exercise much more caution before eating fruit and perhaps it is better not to consume full fruit but rather small portions of it. Fruit comes with many restrictions to GD patients. I don't want to derail the purpose of the thread and focus on me.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@simplemom This was not about accusing! This was about discussing what I felt after reading your post with respect to the type of foods for a GD diet.

The basis is your point in saying 'to be more cautious with fruits and less with chicken because of drastic difference in carb content'. I don't exactly understand how chicken becomes a carb source instead of being a protein source.

6. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

Nice discussion... when people are mentioning chicken..I want to share my thoughts...first time ever I felt bad for being vegetarian during GDM that I could not eat chicken, also I struggled with eggs...eventually discipline paid off...
    I apologioze for my wrong phrasing lot of fruits was actually wrong...I meant to say fruits are good snacks!!!...This has been a very extensive discussion and I guess many of us have learnt something from every post... keep it flowing...

7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Diabetes and vegetarian - difficult combination to manage. Chicken is more filling but also less restricted. You can add rice or roti to it. Lentils - filling but restricted due to carbs in them.

Rice and Lentils or Roti and Lentils are common double carb combinations in some parts of India. I have not met a vegetarian diabetic patient. It would be interesting to hear from them how they manage.

You are done with GD. So you can splurge little bit and eat full banana. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. babyhopes81

babyhopes81 Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I just delivered a baby girl 2.5 months back and was on insulin for gestational diabetes detected at 26 weeks of pregnancy. My numbers on the next day of delivery were normal (78 fasting) but after coming home and checking blood sugar levels a few times I saw very high numbers specially after dinner (160-200). Even my fasting sugar levels are between 105 and 115 sometimes. I am yet kt meet my gynaec for a follow up next month and am so scared about my numbers. Meanwhile out of curiosity I checked my hba1c and fasting numbers in the lab. While fasting is prediabetic range (104) , the hba1c is 6.6 within diabetic range. While the hba1c does include a part of the time when I was pregnant (last weeks of my pregnancy included in the 3 month average), I am so worried that my numbers are not stable even after breastfeeding exclusively, restarting my 30 mt walk sessions and also watching my diet closely. Pls let me know why this could happen. Awaiting replies.

Regards

9. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Anybody hanging in here right now?

Babyhopes,

Did you check your sugars at lab after delivery? is your sugars normal now?

10. Chromo

Chromo New IL'ite

Re: Quite Common

Hey Vandhana,
    I too have GD im so worried about what to avoid n all im vegitarian,can u plz plz send me diet plan?