Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Re: High Sugar Level

Ok Sunitha, thanks for the update.

I just wanted to make sure that eating too much or too less sugar is not the main cause for GD. Hopefully I won't get it.

Take care.

2. Nandhita

Nandhita New IL'ite

Hi Geeta and Cheer,

Gestational Diabetes and High BP happens for a few people and goes away after delivery. Don't worry. It is not caused by high intake of sugar salt etc. (In fact, I used to crave so much for sweets/ice cream during my pregnancy) and was having it like food. But didn't get diabetic)

But once it happens doctor suggests all the restrictions on sugar intake, weekly tests, walking etc. Like Sunita said, the possibility of C-sec becomes high in a mother with GD.

But absolutely no cause of worry. A few of my friends and cousins had developed the above problems during pregnancy and are happy mothers today. Just be happy. Enjoy your pregnancy. It is a beautiful phase in your lives. Just remember to follow the advice of your gynec.

Regards

1 person likes this.
  3. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Nanditha,

Thanks a lot for your reassurance. It definitely makes me feel much better and less guilty about my eating habits.

Take care.

4. sri0308

sri0308 New IL'ite

I am 26 weeks and today I had 1 Hr glucose test and I didnt pass. :( So I have to go for a 3 Hr test next week. I was eating lot of sweets and fruits. I am sad cos I cant eat sweets anymore. Today afternoon my neighbour came with Gajar ka Halwa for me. I didnt take a single bit of it. It was all for my hubby.
    But I can do anything for the health of my baby. So I think I can get through all these.
    Cheers!

5. Nandhita

Nandhita New IL'ite

Hi Sri,

No worries. Simply follow docs advise till you deliver. In case you have GD, it'll be gone with delivery. And that's just a couple of months away.

Wishing you all the best.

With Prayers and Regards,
    Nandhita

6. preeti09

preeti09 New IL'ite

Hi Friends...

Im having my GD test in 10 days .. so im planning to have RAGI,JAWAR and METHI SPROUTS... im cutting down sweets and rice intake ...

Do u guys want to suggest any other things ? I dont want to get positive in this test ..

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Preethi

The reasons for getting GD are this:
    1. First pregnancy above the age of 25 yrs
    2. Family history of diabetes.
    3. Overweight/obesity
    4. Having GD in previous pregnancy.

So clearly intake of sweets is not the reason.This is what I got to know from my dietician.

1 person likes this.
  8. sri0308

sri0308 New IL'ite

I have only the first reason here. I am 27 yrs. Gotta see my 3 hrs test now.
    Good luck Preethi.

9. preeti09

preeti09 New IL'ite

Thanks Sri.....sunita this is my first pregnancy and i dont match with any of the points .. but my mom's parents are having sugar ,im not sure abt this point...

Found info abt GD in the net ...

What I need to know about Eating and Diabetes

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Preeti,

One sincere suggestion from me would be that: We should not cut down on foods just to get test results. Its better to follow a normal routine and whatever comes up, the doctor should know your health before pregnancy. If the sugar levels are generally high, but going low on foods before the test would be misleading , Ultimately it affects on your health and the baby's health.
    So please do follow your normal food routine, dont take extra or less sugar just for the test.

All the best and everything will be fine.

1 person likes this.