Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Diet for pregnant women

Hello Sanvi,
    I used to eat Lettue, sprouts, cucumber, carrot, small sized tomotoes, oninons low fat salad dressing and croutons. (sometimes i used to put kabul channa boiled in this salad) in a medium sized bowl .

you can try whatever you feel comfortable.

Good luck,
    Punitha

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Diet for pregnant women

ok punitha thanks

3. suna

suna New IL'ite

Is Mishree(khadisakhar) Sugerstone Ok During Pregnency

Hi all Friends,
    I'm 17 weeks pregnent. can I hav mishree ? is this good for health ?
    I know suger is not good right now but wht about mishree.......

4. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

Re: Is Mishree(khadisakhar) Sugerstone Ok During Pregnency

Hi

high sugar intake is beneficial for those women requiring more weight gain.
    women who are experiencing excessive weight gain or having difficulty maintaining normal glucose levels could result in too much weight gain, diabetes,hypertension,premature delivery.

Its best to conuslt your doctor about your glucose level and accordingly decide on ur sugar intake(in any form).generally a glucose test is recommended in 2nd/3rd trimester to detect gestational diabetes.I'm also pregnant and had glucose tes,expecting the result tomorrow,I too crave for sweet things..i substitute it with dates or kishmish.

sorry but no idea about mishree/rock sugar ..

all the best

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

High Sugar Level

Hi ladies,

Yesterday i found out i had high sugar level, what precautions do i need to take?? My gyn suggest me diabetic test too, is it neccessary??

Plz Ladies tell me what precautions should i take. I had PCO's so maybe becoz of that also my sugar level is high.

Any info regarding this is appreciated.

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Re: High Sugar Level

Hi,

Regular walking atleast for an hour daily, diet control and use of sugar free items would bring down the sugar levels. Do not worry too much, its common to have increased sugar levels during pregnancy.

Take care

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheer

Did you do the 1 hr test or the 3 hr one?

The 1 hr test is done first and if that shows an abnormal level of sugar,you have to do the 3 hr test.The 3 hr test-Glucose tolerance test will give accurate values and based on this the doctor will confirm whether you have GD or not and then accordingly suggest diet restrictions.
    I don't think the sugar level has anything to do with PCO.This is called Gestational Diabetes.I had it in my first pregnancy and along with diet restrictions,I was put on Insulin injections too.That time the doctor warned me that I will have it in my next pregnancy too.And true to her word,I found out from my doctor yesterday that I do have slightly high numbers this time too.Now she is planning to put me on diet restrictions only and she feels that I may not need injections this time since it is not too high.

Usually if one gets GD during pregnancy,it is an indication that later in your life-around 40-50 yrs,you will end up being a diabetic patient.In my case,both my parents are not diabetic,still I have got GD.The doctors advise is to continue a healthy diet even after pregnancy and to exercise regularly so that we can atleast postpone the onset of diabetes.

Personally,I feel regular walking is doing me good.By this time ,in my last pregnancy,I had high BP,now it is normal.Something is better than nothing,isn't it?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

thanx a lot ladies, yep i think i didn't walk much due to i get tired after work. But maybe i'm going to start walking very soon.

Sunitha my mom having diabaties so i think i'm having more chance to get diabeties later.

I ate too much chocolates & sweets too, so maybe i need to stop eating it & at least walk daily 30 mints.

Thanx a lot.

9. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

Is eating too much sugar the reason for getting GD? Please advice.

I was craving sweets badly this week so I was being very bad and had eaten tons and tons of chocolates and sweets. I hope it won't be a problem. What kind of dietary precautions should we take if we want to prevent GD. Please share your experiences with us.

Take care. Which week are you in currently?

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Geeta

I am currently moving from 7th month to 8th month-29 weeks.I never had diabetes nor does it run in my family,yet I got GD during pregnancy last time too and it went away the next day after delivery.Once the placenta gets delivered after pregnancy,the GD goes away with it.

I never had too many sweets during my last pregnancy nor did I have this time too and my sugar intake is also minimal. I don't take carbonated drinks too so I frankly don't know the reason for getting it.

GD shows up around the 7th month of pregnancy.The problem with getting it is that you could end up with a higher birth weight baby and with that comes the question of c-section.My experience with my last pregnancy was slightly different since my BP was a bigger problem than the GD.When my BP shot to 180/110 at the end of the 8th month,the doctors induced labour and I had a normal delivery.Surprisingly,my baby was not heavy too.

1 person likes this.