1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gerber... Nestum... or Cerelac... and little more help from u all....!!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by queenie3, Oct 25, 2012.

1. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

Hi to all moms... :hiya

My baby is of 6 months.. he was having an excellent growth in his last months but now he is not having that rapid growth. Though still he is at good weight and height but i am really worried and gulity as i think it is my mistake... :hide:

Baby was exclusively on BF... now have introduced solids... he is not liking it much. My concern is that after his solid he cries for bf... i read many of the threads here and realized that its common. But question comes till when will this continue.

I was at my parents and my in laws place all this while but now am on my own.. and currently i am having some health issues as taking care of child and doing household from a to z is bit difficult for me.. and baby is also demanding more feeds and i am really feeling too weak. he used to have only 2-3 feeds at night when was at 5 months but now.. atleast 6 feeds.

Please suggest me ladies.. what to do...?? Doc here said no outside food... but i feel it is a must to give these stuff as it has extra doses of nutritions.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

hi queenie3,

cerelac tastes good my baby loves it very much there is three flavours in 1st stage rice, wheat and wheat apple. start with rice later on you can introduce wheat apple (my little one dint like the two flavours she is fine with wheat apple)

Gerber is also good but feel there is no taste so i mix it with cerelac wheat apple and give her.

Nestum please consult with your ped because when i asked my ped he strictly said no to that

you can try with home made ragi (if you have time) or you can use 1st bite ragi with mixed fruits its good.

1 person likes this.
  3. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Anu...
    Ok.. so i'll try introducing... but just one thing... should i directly give for wheat apple.. or first start rice.
    Oh is it.. Gerber has no taste.. i saw the small little bottles.. and thought it must be yummy.

I have given him.. moong daal and rice.. mashed apple.. suji (he didnt like suji at all) and mashed carrot.
    Got.. Organic raagi from Naamdhari.. heard ragi is cold so just waiting the weather to get better.

Is Shravani taking food nicely..?? My little one is not satisfied with food... dont know when this BF can be replaced with meals.

Regards...
    Avi

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Not your fault at all:) You did the best by exclusively BFing for 6 months..I introduced solids after DS turned 5 months, even though I wanted to wait for 6 months.

Anyway, Ramya and many other experienced moms told me that initially the amount of solids that baby ate will be less. It will increase with time. But since the amount of solids you give is less initially, BFing after a solid meal will be required. Also, solids are only complimentary at this point and baby must recieve his nutrition from BF/Formula.

Have you tried giving your baby formula?
    From what you have written, seems like your baby is undergoing a 6th month growth spurt. So you must BF him on demand. Thats how your body will make more milk to meet your child's demands. In that case, I would not recommend giving a formula. Instead it will be better if you BF. It will be tough but it will come back to normalcy within 2 weeks.

I also manage my child alone since 3 months. It is overwhelming initially but you will soon get a hang of it.

As far as questions on cerelac/nestum etc is concerned. I give my baby home made rice and home made fruit purees. Cerelac contains sugar so want to stay away from it. Nestum I am not sure. Gerber products are good, but very expensive. You can make your own fruit/veggie purees. It is a lot of fun..trust me. But for emergency and travel, you could try using these products.

It is best to start with rice, since it is easily digestible and less allergic. Wheat products you should give in 7th month (someone please confirm this).

1 person likes this.
  5. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

I'm not sure what mistake you did...You did the best thing by exclusively BFing him for 6 months.

My DD was also exclusively BF and she gained weight steadily until 6 months. After that, she didn't gain any weight for 3 months.

Since solid food is new to him, he will take some time to get adjusted to the taste. Try fruit/veg purees if he is not taking rice cereal/kanji. Give the solid food exactly at the same time, preferably around 10-11 AM.

Regarding packaged foods, this is my opinion.
    Cerelac - loaded with sugar. I tasted it and it was like rice payasam. Because my MIL insisted, I started it but it didn't agree with my DD. She started to have loose stools and so I stopped it after 3 days.
    Nestum - My ped recommended to give Nestum rice. It's light, very less sugar and no milk. It tastes like rice flour. I used to give Nestum to my DD for dinner until she was around 8 months old.
    Gerber - never tried their cereal packs. I tried their fruit puree for my DD once, she hated it. It's way too expensive as well - 160 Rs for a small jar.

Home made food is the best. You can make the rice kanji powder (recipes available in this forum) and stock it in the freezer. Veg/fruit purees - easy to make, you can pressure cook them for your baby when you make your regular food.

Since you are BFing, try to drink 1-2 glasses of milk everyday. Include spinach, methi, masoor dal and oats regularly to keep up your milk supply. Most importantly, try to go for a walk for 20 min with your baby. This has really helped me to get some energy and fresh air.

2 people like this.
  6. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Wow..Karanu..you described all the tastes of packaged goods..Thank god I did not buy any thing for DS. Even I tasted Gerber foods, and they dont taste anything like table food.. By the way, the rice kanji powder should be stored in freezer? I prepared a 1/4th cup and it got over within 10 days..and stored it at room temperature..Is that OK?

7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@tuliplady, I prefer to store the kanji powders in freezer, just to be on the safe side. Even if there is little moisture, there are chances of fungus getting formed if kept outside.

8. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Tuliplady...
    Ya.. i gave him Nan Pro 1.. he likes it too... but i gave him very rare... as i wanted to BF him.
    But my mom is saying to Bfeed less as i am having too much of health issue.. and to be very frank.. i prefer BF as its precious thing for the baby.. and also bottle feed is too time consuming.

Ya.. i want to keep these products as a supplement only for travel,etc purpose. Ya.. wheat even i heard is too heavy.
    Anyone has anyidea... how is Sago(sabudana)?? n i wanted to give him Raagi but its pretty cold at Banglore... so should i give or not?

9. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Karanu...
    Really... you too described really well...!!
    n yes.. more than cereals he is liking fruit mash etc... probably because of sweetness..
    Today i gave him Carrot puree and added a scoop of nan.. he loved it...!!

Thanks Ladies....!!

and yes.. i'll check this Kanji recipe.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  10. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

if you are giving cerelac first try with rice, its easily digestable.........gerber cerels has no taste, i dint try any gerber foods i give her home made fresh fruits mash or juice.......i heard avacado its very good to baby its yummy too. even i stopped ragi because of weather in bangalore. i started giving rice with ghee and little salt in the morning.

Now she is better but she is on formula all the time only in night i feed her when i started her solids she lost her weight and gradually picked up but last week she had motion problem and cough and cold she again reduced a lot so i stopped ragi my paed told me too stop for a while........you can try this rice kanji.....