1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Genius

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 7, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Another Micro-tale... answering the question given!

It's been 14 years. But will Ananthasayanam ever get it right?

When I got Ananthasayanam’s email, I burst out laughing! The poor devil, I thought. The quirky foibles one acquires in one’s younger years can never be overcome easily. I used to despair whenever he would offer to drive me around. I’d say, Ananth, take a right from the roundabout and he’d turn left… Or…let us take the left exit to the Mall, I’d say, and he’d immediately switch lanes and go to the extreme right… He was disoriented when it came to right and left, somewhat ‘direction dyslexic’. Otherwise a brilliant guy… He’ll get by, I thought… Ultimately he may end up spending more on petrol!

That was long ago. But now that he has become the captain of S. S. Sagarkanya and is charting his course in the vast oceans, he won’t have problems, I thought. Thank God there are no lanes in an ocean! But...old habits sure die hard…In his email, Ananth tells me he is perpetually confused between starboard and port and to avoid ridicule from his crew, he has tattooed a star on his right palm… So next time he hollers out instructions, he can do so confidently…er… after a quick glance at his palm, first. Necessity IS the mother of inventiveness!

2. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi twinsmom,
    Good one... even though it is hard to believe that a Captain of a ship (I hope it is not a battleship!) does not know the difference between starboard and port.

Anyway, "direction dyslexia" is a universal problem.
    In my case my hand and mouth do not coordinate I will say left and point to the right!!!

Gayathri

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hi viju,
    i think i also have this while peeling peas, or cutting stuff sometime i throw the other way that the pea pod into the peel basket and so on, happens mm never knew i am going to have some relatives on this subject here..sunkan

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi twinsmom,

It is really direction dyslexia .........nice term...it is universal.........in a conversation also you want to say something...you end up saying something else just the opposite....

Poor ananthasayanam..they dont just simply "old habits die hard..."

Yeah sunkan,

Looks the same to me also...:lol:

5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi TM,

Hihihihihih....... It is a day to day affair to me... The safest way i follow is how the hand... Only thing is it becomes difficult when the person is driving and i show hand he couldnt see.... he sreams...

Is the name correct....

Veda

6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

hi Vysan, Shanvy,
    This confusion about mere Left and Right is more widely spread than we'd care to admit!.... You should see the practice sessions for march past... There will be at least half a dozen who swing their hand 'Right- Left-Right while the chant 'Left Right Left' ....goes on!

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi gayathri,
    My stories are exaggerations.... But then again, that is fiction....right?

Hi Sunkan,
    So.... you throw out the peas and save the pods???? hahahahaha... When I come to your place next time.... I will get Pods pulav.... instaed of peas pulav...eh?

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

TRY ME..SUNKAN