1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Generosity is in your genes.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Dec 25, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

I was reading an article about the biological research that proves the "Genes that effect your brain for Generosity, social bonding, behaviour etc".

Scientific evidence: e gene AVPR1a plays a key role in allowing a hormone called arginine vasopressin to act on brain cells.
    Vasopressin, in turn, has been implicated in social bonding, said the study that appeared in the journal Genes, Brain and Behavior

How many of you believe that "Generosity is in your genes"
    Or is it based on circumstances/social conditions??

~Punitha

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Puni,
    I believe that generosity should be in the genes only. The reason is even a very poor person shares whatever meagre food he has with the have nots. There are very rich who could be described as "Echil kaiyal kakay ottathavarkal" Thanks for sharing the scietific evidence that proves genes had a role to play in this magnificient quality generosity.
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I totally agree that generosity has to be in the genes. I see so many rich people who count paisas and would think so much before parting with a rupee..It truly is in genes as many poor people dont think as much and part with what little they have..

4. puni88

Hello Pushpa,
    Thanks for sharing your views.
    I agree, very rich people doesn't even spend or give a singe cent to anybody.

~Punitha

5. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Punitha,

Thanx for the sharing about the scientific evidence. I believe it is true to a great extent.

Bye

6. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    The major reason that decides a child's attitude,broad mindedness,willingness to share is their genes.But still what the parents teach children contributes a lot.Inspite of the scientific reasons,genes etc circumstances play a major role.A tamil saying"inthil vilayadhathu imbadhil vilaumaa?" .Like what we imbibe in their minds stay and go a long way.A child may be taught and insisted on good values,morality,ethics which may be seen by his activities in school.Another child belonging to the same class may be arrogant.The reason , his parents may be harsh,arrogant.This can be correlated to either genes or circumstances.Because if the boy's parents inspite of being harsh ,there is a possibiliy that they can bring their child in a good atmosphere.So what reason can we say? Genes or circumstances or both???I strongly vote for only circumstances......

A good topic for debate.

7. puni88

Hi Bhargavi,
    I agree with your point.
    Now a days people are changing due to the circumstances more that genes.

~Punitha

8. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Punitha,
    generosity surely comes from genes. But the way a kid is brought up (by their parents) also makes the difference.

regards,
    sreelata.s

9. puni88

Hello Sreejag,
    I agree generosity comes from genes, but to what extent we show it up.
    And to what extent we change according to circumstances??

~Punitha

10. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Punitha ma'am,

Indeed a good article that has been brought to lime light on the eve of New Year day.

http://tpi.org/downloads/docs/Karoff-acertainslant/missing_gene.pdf

This is one article that i could find was relevant in this context. Generosity, as the very name suggests is the act of "giving" not merely for money-sake but a noble act of realizing and donating form the bottom of our heart to the needy. Showering infinite love and affection on mankind and nature's creations is the supreme generous act that is required of each and every life respiring on the globe.

Generosity may be inherited from the X and Y chromosomes but as rightly said, situations do play a vital role in determining one's "generous character". As aptly pointed out by the generous queen Mother Teresa; "We cannot do great things on Planet Earth, but do small things with great love". A joyful heart is the inevitable result of a heart burning with love.

Regards and wishes for a New, prosperous and healthy New year
    RamyaVaradharajan