1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

General Questions on Flower Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Ami
    I think you can transfer to ground at any time now.. the temps seem o.k.
    will look into the yellow leaves. my sunflowers are still in pots. am planning to do the work of transplant this weekend..not sure.
    also the beans. I dont know why they are turning dry. look into the soil and sun and water situation. also drainage is v.important.
    keep us posted.

2. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Ac,
    I checked this thread after a long time. Thank you sooooo so much..

3. vatsala

vatsala New IL'ite

dear ac,
    i ihave been silent surfer of gardening threads.i would appreciate your advice regarding my malli plants.they grow well initialy.but gets attacked by fungus later on.ie rolling up of leaves&holes in them.iapply neem based pesticide or cut the branches if the damage is more.is there any other remedy?

4. Anandchitra

No problem dear. Good luck.

5. Anandchitra

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#f3eeda background=backgrounds/OffYellowbck.jpg><TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Organic Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Chemical Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Mechanical Treatment<TD vAlign=top width="25%">
    [​IMG]
    Powdery Mildew on leaf

[​IMG]
    Scab on apples

[​IMG]
    Rose with Powdery Mildew
    [​IMG]
    Botrytis on strawberries
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">
    Sulfur

When to Use: Apply to affected plants at the first sign of symptoms to prevent spread of disease to unaffected areas and new growth. Repeat treatments will likely be required if the fungus was left untreated too long.
    <HR color=#800000>
    Lime Sulfur or Wettable Sulfur

When to Use:
    As directed as trees leaf and bud in the spring.
    <HR color=#800000>Dormant oil and Lime Sulfur mix:

When to use
    :
    Use a horticultural oil in late winter or early spring before any growth starts. Apply as directed and spray until the mixture runs off.

<HR color=#800000>Baking Soda Spray

Recipe:
    Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and one quart of water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Adding 1/2 teaspoon of oil, such as Sunspray Dormant Oil, or even Canola oil may increase the effectiveness against black spot and other fungal diseases. Apply liberally.

<HR color=#800000>Milk - yes MILK

Milk is effective against powdery mildews!

Recipe: 10-20% skim milk to water ratio. Milk seems to boost the plants immune system to fight off fungi. Apply liberally.

<TD vAlign=top width="25%">Non-systemic Fungicides Anilazin
    Bordeaux Mixture (copper sulfate and hydrated lime)
    Captafol
    Captan
    Chlorothalonil
    Copper Sulfate
    Dichloran
    Dinocap
    Dodine
    Ferbam
    Folpet
    Mancozeb
    Maneb
    Terrazole
    Thiram
    Zineb

<HR color=#800000>Systemic Fungicides

Benomyl
    Thiophanatemethyl
    Avoid systemics on food plants. An exception can be made for long-season crops if used early in the season.

<TD vAlign=top width="25%">Fungi are reduced by growing plants in sunny locations with good air circulation and by reducing water contact on leaf surfaces.

<HR color=#800000>Fungal diseases can be prevented by removing and destroying affected leaves that fall to the ground and by watering at the base rather than overhead.
    <HR color=#800000>On roses and other shrubs, remove leaves that form within about a foot of the ground, where splashing rain spreads disease. Consider planting disease-resistant varieties.
    <HR color=#800000><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="100%" bgColor=#e3d7a4 colSpan=4><HR color=#800000>
    Rusts
    <HR color=#800000><TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Disease<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Organic Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Chemical Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Mechanical Treatment<TD vAlign=top width="25%">
    [​IMG]
    Rust on Leaves
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">As above.
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">As above. Avoid systemics on food plants. An exception can be made for long-season crops if used early in the season.
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">When rust badly infects plants (particularly annuals), it cannot be eradicated. Dig up and destroy infected plants. Burning off affected crops is recommended where permissible under bylaws.
    <TD vAlign=center align=middle width="100%" bgColor=#e3d7a4 colSpan=4><HR color=#800000>
    Damping Off
    <HR color=#800000><TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Disease<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Organic Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Chemical Treatment<TD vAlign=center align=left width="25%">Mechanical Treatment<TD vAlign=top width="25%">
    [​IMG]
    Damping Off of seedlings
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">As above
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">As above. Avoid systemics on food plants. An exception can be made for long-season crops if used early in the season.
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">To prevent damping off of seedlings started indoors, use only clean equipment and a sterile soiless potting mix. Before planting, water the flats. Sow seed sparingly. Sprinkle a thin layer of sand or perlite on the soil surface to keep stems dry at soil level. Remove the humidity-retaining cover as soon as germination starts. Mist lightly to maintain humidity. Use a fan to keep the air circulating around your seedling. Water the seedling from the base.
    <TD vAlign=center align=middle width="100%" bgColor=#e3d7a4 colSpan=4><HR color=#800000>
    Fusarium and Verticillium Wilts
    [​IMG]
    Fusarium Wilt of tomato - note the dieback on one side

[​IMG]
    Typical V-shaped Verticillium wilt on tomato leaves.

[​IMG]
    Fusarium Wilt: healthy stem left, affected stem right
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">As above.
    <TD vAlign=top width="25%">Fusarium and Verticillium Wilt
    Fusarium and Verticillium fungi are widespread and persist several years in soil. Rotate crops annually and avoid using any solanaceous crop (potato, tomato, pepper, eggplant) in the rotation 2 years in a row. If Verticillium wilt is a problem, also avoid the use of strawberries and raspberries, which are highly susceptible. Rotate with cereals and grasses wherever possible.
    <HR color=#800000>
    Remove and destroy infested plant material after harvest.
    <HR color=#800000>Maintain a high level of plant vigor with appropriate fertilization and irrigation, but do not over-irrigate, especially early in the season.
    <HR color=#800000>Plant disease-resistant tomato varieties, labeled V (for Verticillium) and F (for Fusarium). Grow heirloom varieties where available, which are genetically resistant to wilt.

6. Anandchitra

Vatsala
    I hope this information helps you. Really a lot of work is involved in spraying and taking care of plants. Once the plant is treated and is able to live healthy you will benefit more from the flowers.
    Hope Ihelped.

7. vatsala

vatsala New IL'ite

dear ac , thank u for your reply.what u said abt plants are very true.i will try to follow certain remedies given in the above information.

8. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

AC mam really a good thread...i saw this thread today only....and coincidentally last sunday I bought flower pots and planted few seeds (sunflower, zinnias, marigold, sweet pea, hollyhock, some other breeds of sunflower which are white in color...and tomato, mint and beans...) my current apt has a big patio ...so i am making it a small garden retreat for ourselves :)...

i wanted to plant lavender and roses but didnt find seeds for lavender and rose plants in the near by walmart were all with insects and some disease so didnt buy them..

any ideas where can I get the lavender plant seeds and suggest any other flowers which have nice aroma or smell i would love to plan them....

9. Anandchitra

Here is a source to buy lavender...

Jackson & Perkins: Lavender 'Hidcote Superior' -

This site also sells good rose plants.. however seasonis over to plant roses now.
    Also try some good nursery's nearby.. I feel they are always better than walmart.
    Hope this helps:)

10. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite