1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

General Questions on Flower Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

If they are black they are either shore flies or fungus gnats which occur when a person waters their plants too often. The larvae live in the soil and they need water. Let the pot dry completely out before watering. Don't worry, the plants can go without water better than the larvae can. Do this 3 or 4 times and the larvae should all be dead. Then practice watering less often than you did originally.

For the adults, go to a good L&G Center and they should have yellow sticky traps. Put a few of these around the plants where they are and they will fly to the yellow and glue themselves to the trap. When the problem seems under control you can dispose of the traps. The yellow traps also work for other flying pests like aphids, whiteflies and thrips . Hope this helps.

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much, chithra..

I wish that the temperature should be soon around in 80s so that can keep all the pots outside. NOw, the beans plant has started growing up very fastly and need a vine; becoz of the climate, cant put it on the ground!!

Bye.

3. Anandchitra

Ami dont worry. It will still be fine in the pot itself. I too have to replant so many and dont get enough time. but they are doing well in their pots itself. thankfully i used bigger pots for them to sit in. keep us updated:)

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dearest AC,
    Glad to see you here. I have doubts too. We have Marigold, Hibiscus, Coriander and Rose which were recently planted. All of them are in small pots/tray now.

1. I need tips to grow them. I water them once in day. Is this enough ? We got this product called Miracle Growth for flowers to enhance the growth of plants.

2. All four of them get bright sunlight for just 3 hours. Our patio is located that way. Would this be enough for them ?

3.The pot in which I grow Hibiscus is small. When I transfer it to a bigger pot as it grows, what should I ask for at the store ? I mean, i am afraid how will the two soils merge ?

4. I bought them in Houston Garden Center. Which is the best place to shop for plants and maintenance items ? ow about Walmart ?

5. By any chance does one get curry leaves or it's seeds. Any means to plant curry leaves ?

I have loaded you with too many questions. Pardon me. Answer when you get time...

Thank you soooo much :)

5. mjohney

mjohney Senior IL'ite

Hi anandchitra,
    The post about shore flies was very useful.Thanks.
    regards

6. Anandchitra

1. Watering once a day is sufficient. a good rule is to water when soil gets dry. soil to touch should always be moist.
    2. The Hibiscus , Rose could use more sunlight. But 3 hrs not bad if it cannot be helped.
    3. If you feel the Hibiscus plant is small for container please repot. I usually repot once a year.
    4. Other shops can be Lowes, Home Depot. For good plants I goto the local nursery. Also they provide great help.
    5. I have posted an online place to buy curry plant on some thread. Usually the local farmers market or indian/asian stores carry the plants. give it a try.
    I think the site name was Logees.Please check and let me know
    No problem with questions. There are other knowledgeable and helpful ladies here too.. so good luck.. and do keep us posted:)

7. Anandchitra

Forgot to mention Miracle is Good. Follow instructions on packet.

8. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi chithra,

One more doubt-for any plants like tulasi or jasmine, since they dont survive in winter, guess that you must have kept in pot. Can you tell the height of the pot becoz, when I bought one, it was ok; but, again, now it has become taller and hence, looking for one more pot!!

Is that how you do for tulasi and for jasmine, do you break the plants by summer end(reduce the size of plant) or how it will be?

Thanks.

9. Anandchitra

Dear Ami
    During winter they more or less hibernate. some people do prune them back or can be trimmed. really more like trial and error. Thats how I find with roses. Dont need as much water or fertilizer in winter.
    As far as pot size is concerned, one size bigger pot will do fine. no harm if you choose a much bigger pot size too.
    Hope this helps:)

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the response. And, a couple of doubts-the sun flower plant, it is growing up very nicely, but the bottom most leaves are turning into yellow in one or two plants, why is that? I also water every alternative days or it needs more depth like ground!! when is the right time to transfer all of them into the ground?

Now, here in NJ, the minimum temperature goes maybe in 50s, is that fine? And, the other doubt-the beans plant, flowers have started coming out. So, is this the right time to change into ground or can I wait still more? Also, a couple of leaves became dry!! I watered only little amt, could be this or again, the root does not have space in the pot??

Thanks so much, Chithra..

Bye.