General queries

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by vivbass, Mar 31, 2007.

1. rchitra

rchitra New IL'ite

Griha pravesh in chicago

Hello, I was wondering when is a good day to do griha pravesh in chicago area from june 16th to july 30th. Also what should be done? I dont want to make it too formal by calling priests, just wanted something simple.

Thanks
    Chitra

2. jyothi9

jyothi9 New IL'ite

We want to perform Gruhapravesam ,ourselves ,need tips n advice ?

Hi All ,

We are in US . My husband and I are planning to perform gruhapravesam ourselves .
    Below are my concerns .
    1.Any auspicious dates for gruhapravesam between 17th july and july31st ?
    2.what poojas need to be performed at house warming ?
    Thanks a lot in advance .

3. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Does reciting Lalitha Sahasranamam need madi

Dear All

Though I am used to reciting the Holy Lalitha Sahasranamam after bath infront of the lit lamp, does it need strict madi.. can anyone elaborate on that or the practice which you have been observing..

Also please tell me of the way to perform Lalitha Sahasranama puja.. When I was surfing for the information I found valuable information on the above.. I am giving it for all your spiritual notice..

Courtesy:nandannandanam.tripod.com

Lalitha Sahasra Naama is one of the principal texts of Sakta Cult the other two being are Durga Sapta Sati and Soundarya Lahari. Generally, only two Sahasranaamas ( thousand Divine names), i.e., Lalitha Sahasra Naama and Vishnu Sahasra Naama are popular in India though all deities like Siva, Laksmi, Parvathi, etc are having their own Sahasranaamas and corresponding rituals. When Vishnu Sahasra Naama helps the devotee to attain spiritual well being and subsequent Moksha(salvation) the Lalitha Sahasra Naama imparts saadhaka both spiritual and material upliftment.

Lalitha Sahasra Naama is a part of Brhmaanda Puraana one of eighteen epics. Known as Lalthopakhyaana, it consists of 40 chapters. It is the form of dialogue between Saint Agasthya and Lord Hayagreeva, who is the horse headed incarnation of Lord Vishnu. The Text of Lalitha Sahasra Naama consists 320 verses in three chapters. This text was first recited and strung into a garland of mantras by Vasini and other Vagdevathas on the command of Mother Goddess herself as remembered in the Nyaasa. The metre is Anushtup and Devatha is Lalitha Parameshwari. The other details in nyaasa are Vagbhava koota (the first of three kootas) as seed, the Kaamarajakoota (the second) as Sakthi and the Sakthikoota (the third) as spike or Keelakam. The purpose of the recitation is given in nyaasa is to accomplish the grace of Goddess Lalitha and to procure the benefits accompanying.

There is Lalitha Thrisathi, which consists of three hundred sacred names of Mother in Lalithopakhyaana. This mantra has a close relationship with seed syllable, Panchadasi. Each set of verses start from each syllable of Panchadasi. It is also as potent as Lalitha Sahasra Naama.

In spite of being, only a part of Brahmaanda Puraana, Lalitha Sahasra Naama enjoys august status in Saktha tradition and has merited plenty glosses and commentaries among which the following are well known:

1. Soubhaagya Bhaaskaram: An elaborate and much dependable commentary by celebrated tantrik saadhaka, Bhasuranda Natha whose earlier name was Bhaskara-raya-makhin.

2. Vidyaaranya-Bhaashya: Vidyaranya Muni who was the disciple of Anandaaranya
    Poojyapaada who wrote commentary on Lalitha Sahasra Naama in nine chapters.

3. Vimarshaananda’s commentary consisting 200 verses in nine parts.
    Vimarshananda is said to be the disciple of Vimalanda Natha

4. Saubhaagya Rathnaakaram: A commentary in 36 tharangas by Vidyaranya
    Natha, a disciple of Sachidananda Natha.

5. A commentary of Bhattanarayana, disciple of Sivananda Natha in 2500 verses

All above authors are tantriks belonging to different margas and preserve esoteric doctrines preserved by their own traditions, and they classify the thousand names in different ways. The Soubhaagya Bhaaskaram is considered as the best of these commentaries. The author, Bhaskara-raya or Bhasurananda, who was versatile scholar and accomplished saadhaka lived between 1690 and 1785 A.D.He is also well known for his other works like Sethu Bandha, Varivasya Rahasya, etc.

The construction of Lalitha Sahasra Naama

The thousand names are classified into 10 groups. Following are the beginning of each of ten centum:

1. Sri Maatha
    2. Mani pooraantharuditha
    3. Sadgathi prada
    4. Hrimkaari
    5. Vividhaakaara
    6. Gudanna preetha maanasa
    7. Daraondolitha deerkhaakshi
    8. Desa kaala paricchinna
    9. Pushta
    10. Naadaroopini

It is also to be noted that no name is used for a second time with the same meaning.

The Practice Of Lalitha Sahasra Naama

Before starting to recite Lalitha Sahasra Naama, you have to understand the meaning of each of the thousand divine names. True, nobody can understand the full meaning of these expressions completely. According to Bhaskara-raya, there are 16 types of significance for each expression. It is very difficult to understand all these sixteen meanings of each name. However, at least you must know general meaning of the sacred names.

The ritualistic practice of Lalitha Sahasra Naama consists shodasopachaara or panchopachaara puja on Sri Chakra, recitation of beeja mantra, i.e., Shodasi or Pachadashi for a minimum of 108 times and then recitation of Lalitha Sahasra Naama Sthothram. If pooja is done on full moon night, the saadhaka must visualise and identify him with Goddess in the lunar orb and chant thousand sacred names. The daily puja is always recommended. However, some body can not do this, he may do it on every Friday and full moon night. Alternatively, he can do this at least on his birthday.

Lalitha Sahasra Naama can be recited as mantras also chanting individual names unlike the Lalitha Sahasra Naama Sthothram. You will have to add prefix “<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Om</st1:place>” and suffix “Namaha:”. For example, “Om Shree Mathre Namaha:” Then, the name ‘Shree Maatha’ converts itself to a highly potent mantra. The Actual Lalitha Sahasra Naama is in the form of a garland of thousand names. That is why, in the nyaasa it is said, “Shree Lalitha Sahasra Naama Sthothramaala Manthrasya…”

In this busy and tiring present day world not every body may get time to do the elaborate pujas and rituals. Nevertheless, you can devote 20 to 30 minutes to recite Lalitha Sahasra Naama in the early morning or evening after taking bath and sitting in front of lighted lamp. Do not think of the benefits. They will automatically come to you. Do not ask for any thing. You will get every thing in right proportions.

If you do not a have a book on Lalitha Sahasra Naama try to get one which gives the meanings of expressions clearly. Read it carefully with clear understanding of the meaning. A good book will also give you an idea how to recite it.

Courtesy: nandannandanam.tripod.com

Lakshmi

4. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

Re: Does reciting Lalitha Sahasranamam need madi

No!

The meaning for madi ,"Think of the God"
    When you wear your cloth let it be anything, even a nighty will do, you must wear that thinking of God. Second thing is concentration.
    You are not going to be a sage.
    But I am afraid, that it may bring heat in your family, resulting in Verbal shouts!

5. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Re: Does reciting Lalitha Sahasranamam need madi

Dear Vimmala

Thanks for the reply yeah there will be no verbal shouts as I dont have MIL or SIL Harhar.. Anyway now I am relieved that what I am doing is Ok.. I recite in Salwar.. even today I recited..

Thanks

Lakshmi

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi,
    Thanks for the information you had given from the web..

Vimal,
    Today I got to know the meaning of Madi..

sriniketan

7. sudhak90

sudhak90 Senior IL'ite

pujas for prosperity of family

hi, can anybody advise on what pujas to be performed for prosperity of family- health and longevity of husband, health, longevity and fulfillment of children's wishes etc.

rgds
    sudha

8. rajpriya

rajpriya New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Ji,

In my office they have blocked the site www.suratha.com so i couldnt download tamil font.
    If possible can you please post the same doenloaded font.
    Sorry for troubling.

Millions of thanks,

Priya

9. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

prayers for career

Myself and my husband are going thro rough times please let us know how to pray at this time it is regarding jobs.Bow

10. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Re: prayers for career

Dear Lmani,

Few years back i was in a similar situation,then one of the priest had suggested me to pray to lord ganesha every tuesday.You have to keep hurkadale (pottu kadale) little bit as naivedya and pray to ganesha and then eat that.It is supposed to solve all matters regarding jobs and education.

Please try this and hopefully it will help you out of the crisis.

suji