General queries

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by vivbass, Mar 31, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Re: Let us email our prayers to Lord Shiva

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA - I seek Your grace and blessings for my mother's health and comfort.

2. ramarsita

ramarsita New IL'ite

please help- regarding homam

hello friends

i am ramarsita, i am from nottingham. just a yr ago we bought a house and also gave birth to my lovely boy. so i went to india for a quite long time(6 months). so we didnt do any homam. in my house. now i am thinking to do it. but i like to do it with tamil pandit so that i can understand what they are saying and what i have to do. here we get only hindhi pandit . none of us kno w hindhi. so please help me regarding this and what type of homam is nice to do. thank u .friends please help me.

3. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Re: please help- regarding homam

Hi sita,

You can do ganapathi homam and navagraha homam.These are common homams and any pandit can do this.

4. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

In Iyengar tradition - What do the number of namaskarams signify?

I have always had this question lingering in my mind. Me being from an Iyengar family, we do 4 namaskarams to god and 2 to elders..why is it so? What does the number signify?
    Other castes do not follow this..why only Iyengars do it? Can anyone enligthen me.

Regards,
    Sihi

5. ramarsita

ramarsita New IL'ite

thank u vkrithika. sorry to bother u again should i have to do both r just one would do

6. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

i feel both are must.Ganapathi homam is for new beginning and prosperity.Navagraha homa is to send all evils out .So it is better to do both.One more is there,it is vaasthu.I don't whether this is compulsory.

7. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

Re: In Iyengar tradition - What do the number of namaskarams signify?

Hi

Appreciate if someone could shed some light on this practise.

regards
    latha

8. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

The way I pray

Hi all,

I am a very normal human being. At most times I pray to God only when I have problems. So I am to accept that I am one of the worst selfish human beings in this world.

When I get a chance to pray(I mean when I am in trouble) I first think of the problem and then think of the people in this world who would be suffering with the same kind of problems. This ends me from thinking that I am singled out and believe I am not the one who is suffering from problems.

It does not end there. Now I start to explore my creativity. I start thinking of the people in the world who would be facing more worser issues in the same problem space. This makes me feel comfortable that I live a better life that my opposite-number. That gives me a chance to thank the almighty for placing me more secured in his hands.

Now I start to pray and not for myself but for the rest of the people in the problem space and wish for them to get their issues resolved in a better way. I would ask God to bless them, to offer what ever is good/best for them. Here I leave the blessings in Gods hands as I know he can be a better decision maker than me.

Now I hear you asking what is your say about your problem to God in the form of prayer.....

I believe that my prayer is done and I start believing that every problem has its solution and start working towards it.

"I would appreciate your replies on the way you pray to God"

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  9. rya

rya Silver IL'ite

Re: In Iyengar tradition - What do the number of namaskarams signify?

hi sihi,
    i may or may not be wrong..whatever i know i will tell you..iam also from an iyengar family..the meaning is i hope,according to our tradition,bowing down for 3 times or one time means it will be done during some sad ceremonies..that is what i was told when i asked the same question like you..i don't know why,.but,if you see thenkalai iyengars,they will follow odd number like one time..they may have different sentiments...if iam wrong,sorry for that..
    thanks

10. hopeforgood

hopeforgood New IL'ite

Significance of Chaithra Poornima

Hello

19th and 20th April is chaithra poornima and I heard that if we perform naga pooja on 19th april i.e saturday it would be very beneficial.Also any pooja to goddess Durga Devi.

If anyone has any more information on chaithra poornimas significance please let us know..Thank you!