1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

General cookery-related queries & Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by simi, May 24, 2005.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: What Do I Serve....

Hi Sunkan,

You have not mentioned when they are coming?:? do you have time to prepare? Here is my idea.

one sweet - like burfi or kesari, cashew pakoda with good coffee.

If they are suffering from Diabetic, you can refer my thread and make sweet.:tongue

Here is the link. Sweets for Diabetic.

2. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Re: What Do I Serve....

Dear sunkan mam

Even i would like to say somehing

for 60 - The item must be well cooked and easy to chew and digest then go for
    idly/upma,kichadi sevai,more kali and if they are diabetic u can go for Lapsi Rava Veg upma/Lapsi Rava Pongal and sweet kesari will be traditional one or any Kheer vatiety

for 30 - i hope u can give anything like Sundal, veg/ tomato soup,fruit salad with custard and even oil items like cabbage pakoda

latamurali

3. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Chapati & Puri becomes harder next day- how to keep'em softer

Hi all

Whenever I do Chapati or Puri it becomes harder the next day.shakehead

What is the mixing proportion (also ingredients) for both?(to be softer even the next day)

Thanks in Advance

Dhivya

4. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Re: Chapati & Puri becomes harder next day- how to keep'em softer

hi,

I only use wheat flour for chapati and applying a little oil while cooking the chapati keeps it soft the next day. i have never kept pooris for next day so can't help you with that.

Mythraeyi

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

HI Divya,
    I usually keep my chappathis and puris in the fridge, if it remains, the previous day, rolling with the aluminum foil. It will be hard the next day, but if you microwave it for 10 sec, it will become soft and must be used immediately.
    Hope this helps.

sriniketan

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Yep..I'm following what sriniketan is doing...but as she said microwave and eat immly

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear dsrini,
    the dough which is wheat flour, has to be added with a little curd or milk and mixed well as u keep mixing the dough to chapthai consistancy add a little oil and make it, we call it the thakkali padam, feel like tomato but firm, and then use a non stick tawa the roti comes out superb, now while rolling too don't roll it too thin or too thick the right size and even all over, now any chapathi or poori needs to be warmed the next day but here even if you dont get the chance to do it, and left outside without keeping in fridge the roti's will remain soft...try and let me know. I never add oil while making chapathi's until and unthen they are stuffed or mixed with methi...sunkan

8. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

What works for me is to knead the flour in the following proportion - 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup water. You can also add in a few drops of oil.

Once you make the rotis, wrap them in a paper towel immediately and then wrap that up in a piece of foil. This traps the moisture in the roti really well. Next day, take-off the foil and put a few drops of water on top of the paper towel and heat in the microwave for 10 seconds.

9. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Paruppupodi in new avtaar!!

Hi All,
    I just found out that apart from adding paruppu podi to rice and using it as a side dish sometimes for dosai and idli, have you tried it? It can be used in curries, kootu, sabjis. I mixed it with the vegetable I made today, add the salt chilli powder, jeera powder the just after that depending on the quantitity of veggies add in a spon of paruppu podi and Lo!!! the taste is divine.Wanted to share this with you , It's my mom's idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Pasta

Could anyone tell me what sauce is good for pasta and what other ingredients we have to add after cooking?

Thanx
    Lakshmi