General cookery-related queries & Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by simi, May 24, 2005.

1. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

How to use Microwave egg boiler?

Hi,

I have bought microwave egg boiler. But I really don't know how to use it? I fear if the shell explode in the micro? Also, I have read in websites that we can prik egg shell with a pin? But hw, egg shell is too hard to prik?

Thnx,
    Vinu

2. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Hi, pls reply to the above query ---hw to use a microwave egg boiler?

We in India do veg shopping once a week and hence buy all types of fruits available....but because I am the only one to eat it I am not able to consume all within a week and hence they remain in the fridge.....But keeping them in the fridge for more than a week spoils them...magoes ripe, water melon and melon changes color and become watery though they taste good but u dont feel like having them...

Also, I want to know hw to store banana, green leafy veg like spinach, coriander etc for long in the fridge....Should I increase the temp of the fridge to make it cooler? or should I buy tupperware products to store veggies and fruits?

thanks in advance

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vinu,
    I have given many tips regarding how to keep veg. and fruits fresh in my thread.I am giving the link here. click the link to go to the page. Then go through the full thread. that will help you more. And for the use of egg boiling, please visit Non _ Veg. Forum. There are many ILs to answer your question. ok?
    Now here is the links :

Fruits and Veg. - Planning

Freezer tips

Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad

:coffeewaiting for your feed back.

4. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Thank You Krishnaamma,

You have mentioned that

"Vegetables:

Other than beans, ripe tomatoes, summer squash, watermelons, cucumbers,

eggplant, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, the vegetables should be kept under the

low temperature."

What temp should we use to store the above mentioned fruits like watermelons? and hw can we maintain low temp for other veg while mainitaing high temp for these fruits?

thanks,

5. krishnaamma

Dear Vinu,

Generaly we have to keep veg. or fruits in low temp. only. That is why we are having the 'Veg. tray' - Crisper at the bottom most of the fridge. ok?

:thumbsdownWe cannot keep half cut watermelon for a long time in the fridge. :ideaYou can keep it for 4 , 5 days only. That too,you have to cut it into pieces and put them in a box. keep the box on the top shelf of the fridge. Use it first of all fruits. OK?

6. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Yes that's what I do....I buy 2-3 types of fruits together, cut one of them into pieces and store it in tupperware's fridge store box....finish this one and cut the second fruit and so on....the veg tray is too small to hold all fruits and veggies....

Should we keep veggies in polythenes or without polythenes? I kept gourd without poly and after 2-3 days its skin has turned to give watery appearance...same happens with melon and water melon. I'll try you ridea of taking them out of fridge to room temp for few hrs and then keeping beck in the fridge. Any other thing that I can do?

What kind of food and veg can we keep in the tray that is at the top of the fridge (not in the freezer)? I have LG's frost free refrigerator?

Thanks,
    Vinu

7. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Black Urud dal

Dear Friends,

Recently, one of my friend migrated to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Australia</st1:country-region></st1:place> & before leaving, she gave us lot of left over groceries. In that, I found 1kg of Black Urud Dal. I don't know what to do with that.Can you pls.suggest me some recipes with that?

Thanks in Advance

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Re: Black Urud dal

Hi Anu,
    What came to my mind when reading your question is:
    1. You can do vadais as usual...
    2. You can make use of it in dosais too..replace the regular urad dhal with this one.

Soak and take out the skin, if you don't like that black finished product...but the taste will be heavenly...
    Will sure to get more ideas from our ilites here..

sriniketan

9. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: Black Urud dal

Hi Sriniketan,

Thanks for the prompt response. First, I tried to make Idli(s) only but seeing the colour of it my children & even my DH refused to eat. As a punishment, I was forced to eat it for breakfast- Lunch & Dinner. . Witsend
    Luckily, I made only small quantity (narrow escapeDrowning) otherwise; the punishment would have contd. for the next daybonk as you said the taste was good but sometimes the colour does matters. Well, can you pls. tell me how to remove its skin?And I am also going to search under chitvish recipes for more ideas:idea

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  10. krishnaamma

Hi Anu,
    I dont know how I missed your question. Here are some recipes using Black udad dal.
    Here I am giving the links. Go through them and select as per your taste. The following recipes are Black Udad Dal Recipes.

Perumal koil dosai

Black Udad dal Adai

Black Udad Rice

Black Udad sundal

Black Udad powder

To remove the black skin, soak the dal and while washing press hardly the skin many times and remove. But for the above recipes no need to remove the skin. And more over you can get more nutrition value if you eat that as it is.

Last edited: May 15, 2008