1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Gem show is it really genuine and worth to buy??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radk, Apr 4, 2007.

1. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Hi,

I too had been to the international gem show recently for the first time .It is really hard to know which ones are genuine.I guess one really needs to know how to select them and to understand whether they have the right price tag and not over-rated.In the show,most of them carried dyed coral beads, jade and many other types.I bought few strands of corals and jade from "beads after beads" stall and some other stalls in the gem show because the shapes were real pretty.I did not find pearls worth buying though. I showed it to the Indian jewellery guy in PA.He told me that corals and jade are dyed and they are not real! bonk

I have learnt my lesson and would prefer to buy from certified jewellery stores in future rather than buying from these shows in future.

Also, I have question: I have seen that some of them had referred about beadsafterbeads.com website for buying beads and stones.Has anyone bought from them before? If so,are they genuine?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi all,

i bought some gems(like corals, jade, garnet, coral rose and jade leaf) this time and took it to india with me to gift. before gifting them i tought of enquiring it in a jewellery shop, so we enquired the quality in GRT (in t.nagar, chennai) they said they r good though they r not precious they said those r semi precious and worth buying for the price more than what we paid for it( we inflated the price to him). also we enuired in another shop even they said it is worth buying he also mentioned the same that those r semi precious.

after hearing those i gifted everything. also i asked them to enquire about that to their own goldsmith.

if anyone have any other views let us know.

3. prvd2002

prvd2002 New IL'ite

Hi,

We are planning to go to Chigago in the last week of May for a short 2 month visit. Can anybody let me know if there is any gem show during that period in Chicago or tell let me know if there is any good Jewellery store in Chicago so taht I can purchase some corals & Jades.

Priya

4. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi priya,

the gem hsow in chicago always happens during the long weekend in may and during the christmas weekend in december. u can google fro international gem show and find out any changes about the show.

5. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

u can check the gem show in our area here:

Beads After Beads

also can get free coupons for entering it.

6. kumzhiganu

kumzhiganu New IL'ite

where did u buy from?please let me know the price.it will be very helpful for me.

7. kumzhiganu

kumzhiganu New IL'ite

hi shree,
    where did u buy from?please let me know the price.it will be very helpful for me.

Thanks

8. mahamitty

mahamitty New IL'ite

Not sure abt Genuine, but I bought Emerald Natural Stone Necklace in Boston.Wow,it was real bottle green color which I wanted to buy for a long time (somehow I don't have interest in light green shades,which comes along with ruby stones).It really glitters when worn ! It goes well with western attire too.
    Bought some boxed Stones,which in India,Jewl store ppl commented its 'semi precious',ofcourse which I knew from its price range.

9. sindu27

sindu27 New IL'ite

Hi,

Can anyone list the genuine stores in the gem show.

10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sindu,
    Lot of stores participate in this show.
    This link contains more details including names of participating stores, venue and dates.
    The International Gem and Jewelry Show
    Had been there once, but was cheated. A friend of mine brought corals and only after we came home did we realize that the person had cheated us by giving fewer corals than he had actually pretended to count before our eyes - he changed it while packing :rant. But, the pearls and sandstone that I got from a different store seems to be genuine and was pretty cheap - $5 or so for a full strand.
    If you can differentiate between genuine and not genuine(seems some people can just say by looking at it) and keep a strict eye while packing, it is worth visiting the show :thumbsup

Last edited: May 27, 2010