Gauri Kund

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by aahna, Mar 2, 2009.

1. aahna

aahna New IL'ite

Do you know why it is called as gauri kund? Here is some information regarding its history.
    Gauri Kund is an important Hindu pilgrimage site on the way to Kedarnath, which is another nine miles uphill from there. As per 68'th Adhyay of Prabhas Khund of Skund Purana, Gaurikund is named after Holy Shree Parvati Mata made a TAP here. Once Lord Shiva make a comment on Shree Pravati that she looks Blackish (Kali). So Shree Parvati decided to make a TAP at a place in Prabhas. After so much time the lord Shiva impressed by the TAP of Shree Parvati and told her that she is Gauri(White) and asked her for any "VARDAN". Parvatiji then told lord Shiva that this place should be famous as "Gaurishwar" afterwards and whoever makes worship here gets all kind off happiness and prosperity throughout his tenure.

2. aahna

aahna New IL'ite

Hey all I just expect a more from you guys.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. hritu

hritu New IL'ite

To the best of my knowledge, Gaurikund is the last bus station on the Kedarnath route at a distance of 5 km from Son Prayag and at a altitude of 1982 mt. Before proceeding for Kedarnath on foot, people bath in the hot water pond here and visit the Gauri Devi temple. This is the place where Goddess Parvati meditated to attain Lord Shiva.

Many of the people are still unknown to the exact location of Gauri Kund. That's why everybody describe its location in different ways. Tell me whether I am right or wrong regarding its location.