1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Gas expenses tips!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by vani, Aug 21, 2005.

1. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

If you are in the US, I am sure you are looking at the ever-increasing gas prices with panic. I wanted to start a thread where we can share tips for saving on gas expenses. On average, we spend about $1500 in gas per year. If we end up saving 10%, that would be $150/year. Not a bad sum. Here is my tip...

Gas prices vary from station to station in your neighbourhood. Look for the lowest priced gas station and make it a habit to fill gas there. Instead of driving around comparing prices, you can find the lowest gas price station in your neighbourhood in these two sites...

www.gasbuddy.com
    www.gaspricewatch.com

Please share your tips as well. Thanks.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Save gas

We should check the air pressure once a fortnight. If

the air pressure is right, the fuel efficiency will be more.

I have to do it to face the ever increasing gas prices.

3. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Don't apply sudden breaks too often!

Hi,

I recently learnt to drive. When I was learning, I used to apply sudden breaks to stop in short distance at the lights.

My husband used to tell me that gas consumption will increase on applying on sudden breaks. It is always good to slow down and apply break at min. speed for maximum gas efficiency.

4. shakila

shakila Junior IL'ite

Sams Club or Costco!

Another option is to try a totally different place to buy gas. Even though I am a member of Sams Club, I haven't typically bought gas there. But I recently found out that gas prices in Sams Club is 50 Cents cheaper than traditional Chevron or Exxon. Try filling your gas in Sams Club or Costco and you might save a good chunk.

5. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Credit Card Cashback

Another idea is to use a credit card that provides the maximum cash back for gas purchases. We were anyway looking to move to a new credit card and we compared cards based on their cashback for gas purchases. Citi bank cards offer 5% cash back, which can become substantial in a $2000/year gas bill - and we went ahead and got a citicard.

6. Kavta

Kavta Senior IL'ite

We usually fill gas at UDF where a discount is available on the Milk cans we purchase there. UDF milk tastes really yummy . We get both gas and Milk fr cheaper rate there.