Gardens & Parks of Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by shefalisingh, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Dear Sushma
    Yes, I visited the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> a few years ago. At that time, Sh K R Narayanan was the President of <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. His wife had planted tulips from <st1:City w:st="on">Holland</st1:City> in the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> at Rashtrapati Bhawan. It was quite a sight to view the tulips in the bright sunlight. I distinctly remember that a special guard was posted right in front of the tulip flowers probably to ensure that the visiting public did not disturb the flower.
    You have spoken of the visible Mughal influence. I would like to add that there are distinct European elements in the design of flowerbeds, lawns and privet hedges.
    :cheers

2. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

The Delhi Zoo or the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>National</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Zoological</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> is the most popular picnic spot of the capital. It is situated close to Purana Qila or Old Fort. This zoo was extablished in 1959 and it extends over a vast area of 214 acres. It provides natural habitat to more than 2000 animals and birds, species of whom have been brought here from different parts of the country as well as the world.

The Delhi Zoo is one of the finest zoos of <st1:place>Asia</st1:place>. The serenity and greenery of this place is extremely pleasant and it provides a blissful respite from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. In winter, it indeed becomes an ideal picnic spot.
    :thumbsup

3. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I find the library of the Delhi Zoo unique. It is located on the right side of the administrative building which is located at the end of the meandering pathways. The library provides information on animals, birds, plants and rare zoological species in India.

When we were young, we loved to see the Chimpanzee and the Spider Monkey. The Gir Lion and the Hippopotamus were my brother’s favourites. I loved to see the birds like Banteng, Macaque and Emu.

Today, when I visit the zoo with the young ones of my family, I see them enthralled by the African Wild Buffalo and Zebras.

4. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

For those <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> and NCR based ILites who are following this thread, I have some good news. The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> at the Rashtrapati Bhawan are going to be open to the public from 13 Feb 2010.
    The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Rectangular</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place> is famous for its characteristic fountains which are basically 3-tiered huge red sandstone discs resembling lotus leaves. The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Long</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place>, has a big Pergola on which bougainvillea creepers are grown. Besides, Bougainvillea there are plenty of Rose, Sweet William, Viscaria, Teptosyne, and Oxalis plants. You will find many butterflies of varied hues in this garden. Its said that the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Mughal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> has more than 250 varieties of Roses.

5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Dear Sushma,
    That is a great news indeed!
    -----------------------------------------------
    As Anandi and Jaya say, the Delhi Zoo is a very popular spot. I like the water animals and the many species of deer like Axis Deer, Fallow Deer and Hog Deer. The Hyenas and the Jaguar intrigue me. The peafowls are beautiful. The underground reptile complex displays a wide variety of snakes like Pythons and the King Cobra.

The best part about the Delhi Zoo is that it has more than two hundred varieties of trees. The native Delhi Bistendu, the drought resistant Lahura trees and the hanging yellow Amaltas Hedges look splendid.

6. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    After reading this interesting thread, I decided to pay a visit to the Lodi Gardens. I particularly wanted to see the recently opened Butterfly Conservatory at the Lodi Gardens. The Butterfly conservatory is spread over three acres. There are dense shrubs,flowering plants and a lotus water body. The entire area has been kept insecticide free.
    There is a board at the entrance which informs us about the different species of butterflies found in the Lodi Gardens. Among the different butterflies, I cound spot grass jewel which is world's smallest butterfly, common leopard, peacock fancy, and striped tiger.

7. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

It is said that butterflies are sensitive to change in the habitat and climate and are good indicators of the state of the natural environ. A healthy butterfly population is a good indication of the state of the Lodi Gardens.

8. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

I love going to the Adventure Islands. It is a favourite spot of my nephew and niece. This amusement park is located in Rohini. It is very close to the Rithala Metro Station.

The Adventure Islands is an enchanting destination for all age groups of people. Children and adults love it equally.

The Adventure Islands were opened to the public on the Children’s Day of 2006. This first theme park of Delhi is spread over an area of 62 acres. It was designed by a Toronto based architect.

Adventure Islands has about twenty different kinds of rides that are imported from major European manufacturers.

9. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

The Adventure Islands is one of my favourites too. I love the freefall ride, the demotion derby and the merry-go-round. This place has a separate zone for children. It is known as Planet Pogo. It has a MAD theater, a H2O zone, a Pogo Plaza and the HQ. The children love this area.

What I like best about the Adventure Islands is the Water Park with its wide plethora of interesting rides.

The entire complex of Adventure Islands is bright and attractive with the abundant hues, bridges, clocks, fountains, towers and the wave pool.

What makes this place really special is the originality of the rides which can be credited to their European origin.

:rotfl

10. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

I would like to recount my visit to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">INDRAPRASTHA</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">PARK</st1:placeType></st1:place> which is situated over an area of 34 hectares along the Ring Road. This is one of the many green spaces being maintained by the Delhi Development Authority. Interestingly this park has been created by transforming a sanitary landfill site into a verdant landscape.

The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Indraprastha</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place> lies between ISBT-Sarai Kale Khan and <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Bhairon Road</st1:address></st1:Street>. You can easily spot some of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>'s historic monuments from the park like the Humanyun Tomb. The magnificent Japanese Peace Pagoda can be seen near <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Bhairon Road</st1:address></st1:Street> end of the park.

The park has different sections including the Bougainville Section, the Smriti Van which has trees planted by people in memory of their loved ones and the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Fragrant</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Garden</st1:placeType></st1:place> which has shrubs and trees with scented flowers.