1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening 2018

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by HappyBunny, Apr 27, 2018.

1. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Hello, gardeners!

What are you growing this year?

It will be great if everyone can share tips, pics, reflections, hopes and heartaches here as the year progresses.

2. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

I have been procrastinating big time. I have started a few seeds and need to start a lot more. Our basement is too cold for the seeds and they are not happy campers. Some have grudgingly germinated while the others are making me keep my eyes peeled.
    What's happening in your gardens?

kaniths likes this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Good morning. Just watered my balcony garden pots and sat down to browse IL, and saw this thread - a topic after my heart! Thank u. We used to share a lot of gardening news in another thread by @satchitananda . So, here are a few of my pics. Not much flowers today apart from jasmine, which is flowering nicely. I love my pudina too, which is always fresh , and springs back even after plucking away regularly:) I harvested most of the tomatoes, which we got in plenty, only a few green ones , left. For tomatoes, I just squeezed a ripe big tomato into five pots, and had a bunch of plants in each which i transplanted later into different pots.
    I am trying to upload the pics.

4. krishamma

krishamma Bronze IL'ite

Hi @joylokhi Could you plz share the link to that thread?

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Great initiative! I've planted a bunch of stuff this year, both flowers and vegetables. I have 4 4x4 sq ft raised vegetable beds and a few containers. Some of the perennials have started flowering but the rest of the garden is still sleepy. I'll post updates and pictures once things take off. How is your community patch coming along?

HappyBunny, kaniths and joylokhi like this.
  6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I'm just cleaning up and prepping the beds and containers for now. It's still too cold to plant most things outside. All my plant orders will arrive in the next 2 weeks so I want to be ready to go by then.

HappyBunny, kaniths and joylokhi like this.
  8. friscomom

friscomom New IL'ite

I am also using raised beds and a few containers for my vegetable / flower gardening this year.
    I have planted peppers, radishes, tomatoes, okra, gongura, chard, spinach, guar beans and a few herbs so far. We have been having fluctuating weather here, so not all my seeds have germinated yet. I still have to plant some long beans and cucumbers, which will go in once summer starts in earnest here in North Texas.
    I have been having some issues with rabbits and snails, so will have to find some solutions!

HappyBunny, Gauri03, Amica and 2 others like this.
  9. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Your memory is good! The patch itself is ready for planting but the night temperatures are still too cold, we will have to wait 2 more weeks to plant.

10. HappyBunny

HappyBunny Silver IL'ite

Today, I planted a lot more seeds. Most of them are flowers.
    My husband keeps asking me where I plan to plant them, and I tell him that most of them are not going to germinate anyway, so we will have only 1-2 plants per variety. That was what happened last year :expressionless: so I am being truthful.

Veggies - I started Okra and Malabar spinach seeds. I am not sure Okra is such a good idea for small spaces, but wanted to try homegrown. I planted Malabar spinach last year and liked it, so planting again.

How do you guys decide to plant a certain vegetable or variety? It will be interesting to know the decision process.

kaniths likes this.