1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gandhigiri - It's my turn now!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jenz, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Yes, he is here. Taken on the center stage and has been rocking my life. I do not know if I should call him a "Hero" just because he has caught all my attention & sits in a royal simhasanam occupying a major part of my mind or should I call him a "Villain" because he is affecting my everyday life very badly?!?!

It is his reigning days now and I should be smart enough to keep him at bay.

So what does he do to me that he should be fought against?!

1) First of all, he doesn't allow me to spend the way I want to. (Gosh! isn't that a big handicap for a woman?! );-)
    2) He thrashed most of the plans I had - be it buying a new car or or as simple as buying a new kitchen gadget!!!
    3) He makes me think twice even to move out of the house on a weekend. I am not allowed to go alone at times...but have to go along with someone!!!!!

And the list goes on........

There is a sudden change of my life due to his presence. Every little activity that I do I am forced to think about him. That's not just a bit of annoyance but a whole lot of frustration at times.

Yes, I cannot fight him out straight against. I am too weak for that. All I can do is be smart, sane and follow Gandhigiri and resist him.

Guess you found out whom am talking about....!
    He is none other than our "Inflation" who is having a roller coaster ride in our lives!!!!

Two key areas where this inflation "touched" our lives is in the Kitchen & Petrol. So here are few ways how I decided to fight inflation:

1) Make effective use of the Home Delivery schemes wherever available & applicable. For example, if there is a shop which says they home deliver at no extra cost - Grab the opportunity but be sensible to check prices of product are same as elsewhere or less.

It does save me bit of fuel by not going to a supermarket but getting it delivered at home through phone or mail order.

2) I have both LPG and Microwave at home - so I split my cooking in both. Even if you prefer cooking in LPG, do reheating in Microwave.

3) If you have only LPG at home and want to put it some best use. For example, avoid making coffee for each person separately. Try to make coffee for all at one time. (whenever possible). Sure this does save some however little it is.

3) Walk or cycle to all places near my home and cut down fuel consumption. For example, going to temples, dropping kids at school etc. Sure it improves health factor too !:)

4) I have started to plan my monthly purchases. Since I avoid visiting super markets, my impulsive shopping has come down (saving money) and because I plan and order through phone, I buy only what I want. [No more buying 2 or 3 items or as & when needed approach....at least not till I fight prices]

5) Vehicle pooling wherever and whenever possible.

6) One of my favourite way is to avoid "Chennai rulers - our auto guys!!!" as much as possible.

7) And finding out for more ways........

So joining me in the Gandhigiri with your share of ideas?!?!

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Jenz..very good ones..Apt for the present scenario..

3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

It is a valid topic for the present times, and a 'green' one at that.Well done.Might come up with something...soon.

4. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

YEs, good ideas.. and could be done too. When I resist using the AC , I think of hte global effect and feel good. So water cooler it is now in summer.. It does give satisfaction. And no acid wash for sinks and b bath rooms.. a bit of eco friendly.. No using phenyl. Instead use some other fragrance (natural).. fun and economy.. And eat at home most fo the time. petrol is saved and the bills are less..:)

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

jenz,

A topic of the hour.
    The villain can be tamed down...with a little effort and management.

1.I wash clothes only when there is a full load.(save water and electricity.)
    2.Rent books instead of buying (you are eco friendly)
    3.some people may think stingy:hide:. but i just remove a bunch of beans, 1 carrot, or whatever veggies and make a stew or veg avial/veg biriyani on one day towards the end of the week. the one carrot less on that day is not going to be noticed since we are going to buy sufficient quantity.
    4.always take stock of my supplies and then make a list and give it to the local provision. that way i am not tempted to buy what i see. (i still request for the brands i need)
    5.never waste food,
    6. Walk the distances to the veg/fruit vendor, if walkable.my kids use their cycles.
    7. If i need to go shopping out of my area, i try to do everything together at one go. ..like if i need to attend bank, library, other shopping all at one go.
    8.Never go for spur of the moment shopping, because you end up spending more.
    9.control your credit cards..if possible don't have one..(i dont have any credit cards. i have a debit card which i use very sparingly.)
    10. when you buy sooji,vermicelli,and all, always roast and store them that way it is easier while cooking and also they don't spoil.
    Ok guys my list may looks long..but it helps.....

6. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi SupriyaDinesh / Kaluputti / Jayalakshmiraj / shanvy,

thanks for your FB. That's quite a list of ideas you guys have put forth. Thanks for sharing them. Let me see what I can adopt (for sure the credit card one would be verrrrrrrry difficult ) :)

Cheers
    Jenz