Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Hmm, 'wider market share' and 'mainstream audience'...how different are these scenarios? Comes close and is why I would question the makers' motives and sincerity...! :hmmm:
    Have you checked the forbidden AltBalaji space ever? :biggrin: They do make series on off topics but I'm not sure about the quality of the contents. Never tried. For what it's worth YT has plenty of Desi web series available - of all sorts and you gotta lose yourself in the rabbit hole to find the good stuff from independent studios/artists. I do have some hard found favs there, better than what's on regular TV/movies. :wink1:
    While we are on the topic:
    The Dinner Party That’s Nourished a Trans Community for Decades #feelgoodstoriesfromRL

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Remember Yahoo/Hotmail/Web IRC days? :grinning:

Back then I was in college and had an online pen pal acquainted via some chat forum. We grew close buddies and switched to handwritten letters from emails. Once a month he would write to me but damn pages lonnng! At first, when the Airmails started arriving, the mere thickness of it made my friends, and folks on the hostel floor super curious (and buggy buggy much)! Later on, it had become regular and anyone from the floor who first spotted the letter would just scream the news of its arrival from the letterbox corner on the floor to the other end where my room was - with so much josh as if they have got one themselves! Sweet. I would share some general content of the letters with them, it will be the group topic for a day. Internet chat was only in its toddler phase then and to have an online friend who would write letters to someone far off was a cool thing I guess. :blush:

PS: I replied to him on scented pink papers! :smile::tonguewink: Lol, interesting times that was all. Anyways, why wait? I'm ready. Are you interested? :wink::grin: hehe!

:lol:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Gauri03 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Man, IRC seems like a lifetime ago! I was a (self-proclaimed) queen of IRC. :partyhat: I moderated a couple of channels. Kicking trouble-makers off the channels was my absolute favorite bit. :tonguewink: There were some desi movie channels where people uploaded ripped DVDs of the latest movies. This was way before torrents and the streaming era. Finding Indian movies and series was a quest those days. Setting up the download, then waiting for it to show 100% used to be one of the highlights of the weekend. Finding it stalled halfway was a tragedy. Lol.

Sure I could write you letters. If you don't mind receiving two and half letters a year. :smile:

ROFL @ that Alien clip. The baseball glove on the face was perfect!

Kohvachn and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I know. :sweatsmile: You have been the same you here too, ain't forgetting the Modji! :grin::tonguewink: Lol.
    I remember. Sucked but simple days those were. Our heads are all like tiny "archive.org" servers each, our memories are the "webpages saved over time". Why the idea of the Wayback-Machine project works I guess. : ) #randomthought

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Duuuuude...don't remind me! What a nightmare!:expressionless:

6. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

(removed)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Indian media is finally picking up the news along these lines: The Print | Geostrategic knot around the Black Sea (video). Crimea, (Georgia), Ukraine... In Ukraine invasion, Russia targets control of Black Sea to further threaten the West. Geopolitics is in the details!

8. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

#Meanwhile...
    Some hot discussions happening where am - on why the once close allies of the US in the Middle East have abstained from voting in the security council, not favouring the wests' call for unanimous sanctions. Well, the politics kinda goes deeper beyond the much obvious 'Gas and Energy' reasons. Useful insights if interested: Middle East Take Sides.

Some questions at the end of the video to ponder on future global ties and twists in the geopolitics if there will be, post this crisis.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

#WordlyMatters

//Expressing the hope that Moscow’s Western partners would change their “overly emotional” position, President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman pledged that Russia would make an “appropriate” response to the “economic banditry.”//

The usage of "Economic Banditry" in the Russian political space catches my fancy. "Economic Warfare" by world nations on Russia with all the sanctions feels like an appropriate term to be used in the news headlines and reports given the severity of the conflict but Russians choose "Banditry" instead? The pot calling the kettle black? I wonder.

//Given the horrific and still-unfolding events of Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and the West’s collective response to it, one can’t help but wonder whether we are on the cusp of an economic singularity in which the laws and bedrock beliefs that formed the foundation of international economic order for decades break down.//

Also came across: "Economic Singularity". A long read there about what could be the worldly impact of the sanctions. Singularity has been so associated with Technology and AI, it felt new to see the usage to imply an "Economic Crisis" situation.

Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Most unsettling news of the day, rising some concerns in my head:

Screenshot_2022-03-08-12-35-28-848_com.android.chrome~01.png

Well... it's true and has only turned out ugly for either sides over the years with no end in sight. The G¢¢ governments here probably wouldn't let the wheat crisis (if it were to happen) escalate as another @rab $pr|ng 2.0 (and may go to any extent even if it means engaging in proxy w@rs with neighboring nations, just to keep their cr0wns safe!). Still, anything could happen, what do we know! Should I flee already? :/ #StopW@rs : (

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    Gauri03 and Thyagarajan like this.