Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Bummer. No like when I invest the time in a series and the end turns out disappointing. Witcher is another. I waited a freakin' year and they give me what, a filler season? :neutral: 'Saul and Ozark have returned, waiting to catch up with the new episodes when I can.
    Decoupled... I watched just three episodes or something. Internet society seems to revere the dark humor and quirkiness of the series but I felt kinda forced much. Didn't bother to get back to the rest of it. With new OTT players in the market, Desi web series space is super crowded. I'm still stuck with Netflix and Prime. :blush: Aranyak on Netflix is watchable. Mirzapur, Paatal Lok, Panchayat are my recommendations on Prime if you haven't watched them already.

I hear Rocket Boys and Breathe into the Shadows are good (not sure which OTTs). I liked Grahan (which I streamed online). Check this link maybe: Webisoda. Like the ReelGood App is for English, this is for Desi series. Something on the long list there might interest you. :wink1:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Kohvachn,

I noticed that wef February 14th, it is enough if the passengers upload only the vaccination data into the Air Suvidha portal instead of PCR Test results. Still, I may be one of the 2% random selected passenger for test at the destination.

Kohvachn likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That really made me think. Would today's India have place for a Bhagat Singh? He was a communist and an outspoken atheist; he didn't hesitate to speak his mind about religion. I suppose he wouldn't be patriotic enough for them.

I haven't seen Meenakshi Sundareshwar yet. Heard a lot of strong opinions about that one. Karan Johar movies in general are all fluff and no substance. I remember watching Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Ghum in the theater and sleeping through half of it! The family lives in a freakin' castle. :buenrollo: I get such little time for TV that I have to consciously choose stuff I know I will enjoy. Right now my weekly indulgence is 'The Gilded Age' on HBO Max. Loving it so far!

I have no idea who or what PUSHPA is and I intend to keep it that way! :grinning:

4. Gauri03

Oh Witcher! What a let down. I waited and waited for that show, more so for, ahem..Henry Cavil :hearteyes::hearteyes:! He was flawless of course :wink:, but the season was so forgettable. Why can't they make one good fantasy series that doesn't turn rubbish after a couple of seasons.

Now Amazon is teasing me with 'The Rings of Power'! I am so afraid of a let down that I can't even get myself to watch the teaser trailers. A miserable GOT, WOT, Witcher I can live with, but DON'T MESS WITH TOLKIEN! :grinning-smiley-048: The movies were an LOTR fan's dream come true. I couldn't bear it if Amazon tried to get 'creative' with it. I am NOT watching it until all the reviews are in, especially those of the folks on the LOTR fan forums. Theirs are the only opinions I will trust.

Kohvachn likes this.
  5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Yeah, recent developments I hear. Good thing, one less headache. Do check the TN Epass website as well for any requirement changes.

6. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Hmmm probably tagged as woke, librtard, urban naxal, or whatever the jargon is these days. Guess, those traits of him that you point out have been conveniently put aside to make him fit well within the agenda as a true 'nationalist' (and maybe is why he isn't yet trolled or hated much). I wouldn't be surprised if someday there'll be a biopic about him where he might be portrayed with a Saffron hat. : )
    Remember Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna? :tearsofjoy: Last year he celebrated its 15th anniv I think, getting sentimental about how it's very special for him and what inspired the movie. Lol, yeah, okay! :grinning: Btw, what's this fan culture celebrating movie release anniversaries? It started with just blockbusters but now it's about every damn movie of their heroes! :sleeping:
    HBO Max not available here. Annnnd how many OTT should I subscribe to! :neutral: Can I go back to the days when TV was simple with just DD? :sweat: Sigh.

7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Does he age at all? :grinning:
    I loved 'Xena' as a kid and a few years back the 'Legend of the Seeker' (was heartbroken much when both the series were dropped!) Lol. No teasing okay? :grinning: It was pre-OTT times and that's all I got to watch. Would say no fantasy series have replaced them for me even to this day. :relaxed:
    Not super fan as you are, I did enjoy the movies. I'm looking forward to Amazon's version with a blank mind and no expectations (having not finished the books). :innocent:

Meanwhile: remember this? :tonguewink:
    :lol::facepalm:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  8. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

You know, both these series had subtext content going on which LGBTQ fans didn't miss to pick up and shipped as their OTPs but despite huge fan demands the showrunners couldn't give in for more (if I remember right). Fast forward to the late 2000s, times had evolved and two popular head cannons were made into cannons by the team listening to the fans (even if it meant going against the channels): POI :wink: and Korra! It did upset the general audience but the queer community was super delighted. Speaking of which I had an OTP shipping here on IL and damnnn the ship got nowhere. :smirk: RIP. :cry::relieved::grinning: Lol.

9. Gauri03

POI did it right. The relationship didn't define the characters. Their sexual orientation was the least interesting thing about them and in being so normalized their relationship. In contrast the plethora of LGBTQIA+ movies being churned out in India are so heavy handed that they undermine the very causes they claim to support. I saw Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui some time back. Such a missed opportunity. They paid lip-service to the character's childhood struggles and showed a 2-minute animated clip about the process of transitioning with no mention of the years of hormonal, psychological therapy that goes into it. The rest of movie was the usual Bolly-drama with Ayushmann Khurrana hamming it to the hilt. And what was the point of making him a Chandigarh bro -- all brawn, no brains? A movie trying to dispel one stereotype, unironically uses another one to make the story funny. o_O They could have used the story to drive home the pain and anguish trans folks suffer as they battle their dueling identities and come to terms with who they are. The movie should have been about the courage it takes to accept yourself amid the hate and rejection. And what to say of the fact that they couldn't cast an actual trans-woman to play the lead role. I suppose that's asking too much from Bollywood.

[​IMG]

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Gauri03

Xena is a cult classic. No shame in being an uber fan of that! :number_one: Mercifully Amazon's The Rings of Power (TROP) is not a remake of the LOTR story. LOTR takes place in the Third Age of Middle Earth. TROP is set in the Second Age of Middle Earth, the time when the rings of power were forged. It will focus on how the One Ring and the nine rings of power were forged, and how Sauron gained control of them and turned their wearers into the Nazgul. The series will be a prequel of sorts. At least Amazon were wise enough not to touch the LOTR movies. Those should never be remade, ever!:nono:

Lol! Never seen that before. :roflmao:

Kohvachn likes this.