Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The reviews will have to wait. Right now it's work work work. I use every bit of spare time I can scrounge to fit in my daily goals, just so I can stay sane. Reading time has become severely curtailed. I had hoped I'd have at least six months to settle into this new role but looks like they conveniently forgot I just started. : ) All of a sudden it's like we needed to have this done yesterday. I gotta deliver big time this year. At this level you get silently written off if you don't start living up to the promise right away. :grimacing:

Kohvachn likes this.
  2. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I understand. I'm sure you are doing a fine job managing family, work, and personal goals. Do take care of your health, annnnd remember to breathe! :boxing: Hugs.
    Congratulations on the promotion. This year will be great, best wishes always. :beer-toast1:
    On a different note, I was struggling to finish books (no surprises there, yeah) so a friend (sailing on the same boat as me) suggested we try short stories and quick reads probably instead. The habit hasn't become a regular, everyday thing yet but I'm trying. #WIP, no eye rolls okay? :lol::facepalm: Lol. (A recent read that I enjoyed: Big Thrull and the Askin’ Man - Uncanny Magazine). Sweet!)

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Gauri03

That's the magic of her songs. I was trying to think of songs and so many latent memories resurfaced. I was a brooding unhappy teenager and this song was briefly my anthem when I was studying for the entrance exams. I did have a flair for the melodramatic. :blush:

This one from the first flush of teenage! : )

And this lullaby that I sang for both my kids 100s of times. Even added my own words for my son. : )

These aren't just great songs, they are woven into the most precious memories of my life. It is hard to put into words how priceless they are.

Kohvachn likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Oh I've heard of Uncanny Magazine. Isn't it a paid subscription? Short stories are the way to go if you're trying to cultivate a reading habit. Make sure you pick them well. Ursula Le Guin and Philip Dick have some of the best collections if you're specifically looking for Science Fiction.

Kohvachn likes this.
  5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Of course! Made my growing up years too! :hearteyes: Guess it would become endless chatter here, saving the stories for another day! :sweatsmile:
    Ain't forgetting this song! The one you shared a recorded audio bit some years ago isn't? ;):p Lol. Lovely singing, I'm glad you could get back to that passion again! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

#randomthought

I was just watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai songs on YT and a thought occurred to me. I don't know if you've seen the movie but Shahrukh and Kajol are bffs. She falls in love with him and he falls in love with Rani. He marries Rani, has a kid. Kajol is heartbroken, sort of mends her heart and 8 years later is about to get married again when she meets Shahrukh again. The meeting is engineered by his 8 year old daughter, blah blah and they get married in the end. The movie was a blockbuster obviously. I wondered how it would have been received if the roles were reversed. If Kajol were the widow with the kid and Shahrukh engaged to someone else? It seems pretty normal to us now but it's been 25 (?) years since the movie was released. This was pre-Internet India. The idea of a man with a kid pursuing a long lost love raised zero eyebrows. Would it have been the same with a woman?

I asked my DH this question and he was like don't give that Karan Johar any more ideas. :grinning:

Kohvachn likes this.
  7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I know you are a hard fan of both and wouldn't miss recommending them! :wink: Yeah, I do read them, here and there - some some whenever. :relaxed: I don't have the patience to pick the titles, just randomly going with the weekly list shared by other like-minded peers. So far nothing that sucks bad. I think I have developed a (harmless) crush on the community moderator if I may say it out loud. :tongueclosed::grin::sweatsmile: Lol.

Anyways, speaking of Science Fiction: watching Archive-81. I'm mid-way through the season where it has finally picked up some pace and gets interesting. Now I get why you suggested it. :shocked::sconf:

Gauri03 likes this.
  8. Gauri03

It had a great premise but the ending was quite unexpected, and not in a good way. The show was brooding and mysterious and then it got absurd. I started listening to the podcast on which the show was based. The podcast makes the absurdity the highlight of the story and somehow I found that much more enjoyable.

Any desi stuff you saw worth trying? I tried Decoupled but it is such a sad rehashing of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' that I couldn't get through it. Even Madhavan couldn't save that cringefest.

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Hi thanks. Nostalgic.

Kohvachn likes this.
  10. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I can think of a few good Tamil movies along this storyline made by celebrated cult directors from the 60s-80s era, considered "revolutionary" for that period of cinema as well as for society. Nothing breezy rom-com sorts, more like feminist voices for social changes: the contrast you are referring to I suppose. Brings to mind a question I saw on an SM this week: if it is possible to release a movie like Rang De Basanti in the present day given the current trends, people being super snowflakey about trivial issues too (...trolling for offering respect and prayers at a funeral?). :buenrollo:
    KJ movies that had moved me back then, today feels absurd or cringe much. I even wonder how I sat through it all! :facepalm: Annnnd, I agree with your DH, don't give KJ ideas. I don't wish to see another #lost-in-time movie like the Meenakshi Sundareshwar from his production house. Please save us the trouble! :nono: :icon_pc: :lol:

PS: I watched PUSHPA. :shocked::scream::shakehead: