Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

Yeah, it's him. Good guess there. He does sing some words weirdly but most of his Tamil songs are hits, including a Vijay mass intro song! :biggrin: Maybe people don't care anymore?...! :grazy:

Btw... Happy Anniversary. Ahem. @IL. :p
    Cheers! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

There are two types of people in tasting food. One who can smell aroma (like Chef Bhatt) and determine the taste of the food (including non-veg) and others who don't care about smell but focus only on taste. I belong to the first category. Unfortunately, I didn't like the smell of it for a long time :facepalm: and when I ignored and tasted it, I realized that it is a great pickle to eat with Thayirsadam. Therefore I joined the Magalikizhangu taster group. :grinning:

Note: I didn't realize Nannari sharbat is made out of the same material. We have a bottle sitting in our fridge always.

Kohvachn, Gauri03 and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. Viswamitra

I bought it in the local Indian store called "Taaza Mart".

Kohvachn and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Viswamitra

@Gauri03 & @Kohvachn,

Other item that I would strongly recommend is Deepavali Leghiyam which is easy to make. But it takes a lot of Ghee to make it. During Deepavali festival, we need this medicine to digest the sweets we consume. I feel we can make it anytime when we have irregular diets, acidity and digestive issues. Unfortunately, some ingredients are available only in India. Here is the receipe.

Deepavali Legiyam (Deepavali Marundhu) Recipe – Awesome Cuisine

Unfortunately, the lady in the video is speaking in Tamil but the ingredients and making method is described in English.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    Kohvachn, Gauri03 and Anusha2917 like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Does this have any relation to chyawanprash? It looks a lot like the Dabur chyawanprash my mom used to make us eat. Surprisingly I have all but one of the ingredients. Long pepper root is the only missing ingredient. I’m going to try to make this. Thanks for the suggestion Viswa!

Viswamitra and Kohvachn like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you! I’d forgotten all about it. It was November 2nd to be precise. 12 years of hot and cold! It’s been a ride!:smile:

Kohvachn likes this.
  7. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

I hear from my DH that the peels of the Magalikizhangu aren't let go waste either, instead, his grandmother would make a "Thovaiyal" out of it (just like we may usually do with the peels of Chow-Chow, etc. ). To join the MK club as you tasters it's gonna take me more time and taste trials but please do put a handkerchief for seat reservation nearby, will get there someday pucca! :sweatsmile::grinning:

Of course. Brings back some sweet nostalgic summer memories for me, been a really long time since the last time I had it. Making an authentic Nannari Sarbat at home from scratch looks like a tedious job, maybe I will just get an instant mix or something and prepare one for the next summer. :innocent:

One of the many classic recipes (and traditions) that's been kept alive for generations even today. Being outside again had missed out on that very often. Thankfully with the internet, such rare/unique/age-old/traditional/regional recipes are documented and available for gen-next anytime. Your post is a subtle reminder for me to learn, make, cherish, preserve, and pass on the heritage when it would be my turn some years later. :grinning::blush:

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

yeah yeah I was late for both, I get it. :yum:
    I know. Lonnnng years and some valuable lessons along the way I hope. Write more, write often. :beer-toast1:

Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Chyawanprash appears to be made out of different ingredients to improve the immune system and mostly most parents gave this to their children. It is particularly known as the best Ayurvedic medicine and Kottakal Arya Vaidyasala used to manufacture and sell it. But Deepavali Laghyam is a look like with different ingredients especially to cure acidity, and improve digesting system. Generally, we buy Arisi thippili and Kandan thippili from a shop in Mylapore, Chennai. Now it is my turn to ask you where did you get it in the US?

Gauri03 likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Congratulations on completing dozen years! Heating and cooling is part of the process. 5 years is a milestone where the basic understanding is established and when it crosses 10 years, a strong bond is established if both members of the team work hard on it. This is when concretization happens after the curing period. Some ground rules are established with better understanding and give and take become a norm in life. Both begin to see the care behind every word exchanged. A couple enjoys the interdependence and every thought is rooted on good feeling about each other. The investment of time and effort made by both begin to materialize. It can happen only if both parties make considerable effort. My best wishes to your family.

Kohvachn and Gauri03 like this.