Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

@Gauri03

Some random thoughts from discussions elsewhere... Somewhere along the way felt lost and unconvinced so thought to ask you. :relaxed:

What do you think of nature's designs (say the ecosystem) vs anything man-made? Is our design thinking mostly linear and perhaps one dimensional as opposed to nature's complex, multitudinous ideas? Why our designs exhibit orderliness all the time while nature allows chaos and messy interactions within its design?

And, nature's approach is decentralized?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Sweety2016, Gauri03 and Afresh like this.
  2. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:thumbup::thumbup: Beautiful isn't it? This thought!!!
    I know not asking me... but will post still ;)

Nature's design and mastermind is truly multi dimensional, infact infinitely dimensional as opposed to anything Man-made; We discover one small aspect and then it opens up so many other facets to explore! !
    :thinking::thinking:
    I think is so complex, that when we look at it, we can only consume/assimilate/absorb the decentralised approach!

It definitely has to arise from a centralised core which lets add ons latch on !
    I would love to read further in sights on this !

Gauri03 and kaniths like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Aren't these contradictory?? :sconf:

Say, human body system. Complex design but do we have a central core? Even if the nervous system fails, 'Brain dead' is the term and not technically declared dead, isn't? Not? :grazy:

Me too! I only have more confusing questions and no clarity yet! :facepalm:

4. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

No
    Let me think of an example;
    Like there is an old tree with many branches; Each branch in itself has many sub-branches .
    Now supposing we were to look and study a particular branch and its progeny, this may form enough of a complex system in itself in terms of its sustenance and operation. These aspects are decentralised;

However, for some characteristics/aspects like determining the height to which the branches may finally rise come from a central core ( the tree). This will depend on where that branch has been placed by the central system.

How apt it is to quote @Viswamitra Sir's response here . This is called timing :D

kaniths likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @kaniths,

not even close to answering what you have asked @Gauri03 but I remembered this from "Sapiens" and I paraphrase, somewhat - as for nature's designs, there is no intelligent designer sitting up there deciding on any designs. It is evolution taking course and shaping itself. Perhaps our intelligent design does not allow for 'evolution'? Just a thought!

Thank you ladies!

Gauri03, kaniths and Afresh like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Okay, more "random" thoughts! :laughing: :facepalm:

Is the cell(s) conscious of the fact that they are a part of a complex system in turn? Does this lack of knowledge make the cell(s) to exist and function independently, unaware of its environments or as you say, decentralized? As opposed to human-made designs where we are aware of the larger, final system to build and start to work on our ideas towards that? A top-down approach if we take goals as the central core. Does this approach also limit our designs to strictly linear forms?

For all the decentralization of control, nature freely allows both irregular patterns and perfect symmetrical shapes in its design. Why haven't we been able to emulate the same? Why our designs tend to follow some order all the time? Everything comes down to perfect lines and squares isn't? :icon_writing:

7. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

But doesn't the universe demonstrate that the 'nature designer' has further capabilities/abilities to even design evolution ... and take stuff further; eg now humans have embarked on projects of cloning etc, but the complex systems of reproduction and natural resources show that nature has its own ways of coping with such 'overloads' too!
    Nature's fury

As an aside

I have read Sapiens..but not end to end..
    The most sticky takeaway from the chapter I read was ,the explanation of the concept of Gossip and how it is the binding factor for sapiens ;)

8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I think so
    Do you really think , that us with our so-anointed linear approach are aware of the larger / final system to build?
    with every innovation, say plastic for instance, within a few years we realise and start searching for the systems which would make it bearable for it to continue on this planet with the same efficiency as earlier envisaged.
    Ditto for use of natural resurces, which we factored in when innovating/conceiving man made automobiles for our convenience.
    Nature on its own , seems to have an answer within its code for all such activities.. may be also for Global warming.

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Evolution makes perfect sense to me with regard to nature's designs.

More thoughts in my head now. :oops:

Early man were hunter-gatherers for a long time. They had developed hunting tools, later on, the techniques of BBQ meat, etc. and eventually agriculture. (Sometimes I wonder why they stuck on to agriculture? Because it was a lot easier than going out hunting to far off places that they thought it's time to grow locally? And grow more to save food for the future?) Either way, human thinking was starting to evolve. We have come a long way since then but all along has our thinking evolved multidimensionally?
    Oh, it wasn't meant to? :(

Srama and Afresh like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Plastics is the product and pollution is the consequence? My context of wonderings is with respect to the product and the design thinking/principles involved. Nevertheless a good point. If you ask me, I had blame the greed but that's political. So...

Afresh likes this.