1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Future/past discussion with my DS

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

It's been sometime since I posted in this forum. However, I have been posting off and on about kids in the parenting forum. The last time I did was about my then 5yr old http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/28645-my-sons-view-point.html and today I am back here again with another interesting thought and conversation process with my son who is now 7.

Oflate, he has been quite curious about past and future. One time he asked me how can we know about the future. I tried and explained in simple terms that how we lead our present is what defines future for eg., if you study today (present) you will do in your test tomorrow (present). He was satisfied, however he wanted to know what will happen in the next hour, two etc. To divert his attention, I said, well I know what will happen in the next two seconds and when he said what, I replied, I am going to kiss you! So it's been kind of a play with us my DS, DD and myself and has gone into various terriotories like "I am going to bump into you, I am going to say hell to you - in the future" etc. Well, thinking about past, he has ofcourse been thinking about evolution, how man came into existence etc and today wished he had a time machine to go back and look into the past. Ofocurse he seriously believes it is "man" who came first and not "woman". When I challenged him with a counter question as to 'where do babies come from', he said mom ofcourse and when I pointed so woman must have been before man, he said well I was speaking about how man came from monkeys - in the literal sense when we refer to the 'first man'. I couldn't beat that logic.

Anyways, I was pretty confident that he will get back to me on the future thing. And it happened. I have spoken to him about the various art forms (I prefer to refer this way) in which people try to see future like psychics, astrologers etc. But that did not elicit much interest from him. So when he came back this evening and said now I know who might know future, I was amused and asked him to share his knowledge to which he very innocently and with a straight forward face said "my teacher knows the future because she knows what to teach for the whole year and knows what we will know at the end of my first grade".

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srama
    That was such a sweet and innocent answer from your son...hahaha
    My teachers knows the future. At the age of 7 he is right only teacher knows what is she going to teach and how much her students will know by the end of the grade.