Future Of It Support Jobs

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Sweetygals, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Sweetygals

Sweetygals Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I used to work in IT company as Java developer. It was not a easy job for me. Found difficult to manage work as im not fond of coding so much. Some how i managed there for 3.5 yrs.
    Now after my maternity break (1 year) i joined to different project as Support person. Not much technical in this job. Same routine work. Since i have kids of 1 year , 4.5 yr old. Im ok for this kind of job. But i dont know what i will do in my future. If i look for a job change what will my chances of getting one?

Now i got a job offer in other company as java developer with high pay. My husband is saying go for it.
    This support job no scope for future.
    I feel this job is good for me as im more relaxed. But what will i do for future. I want to work for some years.

Is support jobs have future scope
    What should i do?

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I know many people who worked in support jobs...pros are that you dont have much coding and only support and enhancement work to do.. you ll have to work on incidents, change requests, tickets, customer issues, bug fixes etc..but main issue is working hours like if you have to work in shifts or take calls at odd hours or provide round the clock support..if u apply for job in other company they'll ask your technical skills and technical upgaraftoon won't be much of u do support role so take care about this..if u work as developer the role is good for career growth but u have to work very hard to develop the product and achieve target and update yourself a lot and be very strong with coding part..and if issue is there in code be ready to stay back and stretch to fix it..developers need to be very technically sound and very knowledgable and accountable to many teams..no fixed working hours..you need to check which role is better for you..

Sweety2019 likes this.
  3. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I know a friend who started out in support and really stuck to the job..
    While others left thinking it is a low profile position.. he stayed back and eventually got promoted higher and higher. Now he is country head in his business unit. This is just 15 yrs of his career.

Another friend moved into product manager role after 5-6 yrs in support role. Another one into program management..

The opportunities are many.. just dont stick to support role forever. Aim for promotion. Once you are in manager role, you have many choices to steer ur career.

Needtobestrong likes this.