1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

fussy in taking medicines...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by achu, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

Re: Giving medicine ....BIG PROBLEM...

hi vanathi,
    as said by jananikrithsan, can i mix honey with the syrup like SINECOD and FLUKIT.

2. sweet_jindagi

sweet_jindagi New IL'ite

i'm having the same problem with my 3 year old son when i had to give him antibiotics... but my problem got resolved soon as he likes chocolate very much... so i bribed him to take medicine and tht worked... and sometimes when couldn't gave chocolate sugar works too...

3. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

i know bribing might work....but my LO is one yr old, she doesnt even know whats chocolate. actually i just cant get her under control during medicine time. she becomes stiff, kicks, throws her head backwards....whereas otherwise she never does all these things.....

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Zeenat - if she is over 1 then honey should be ok. Personally I found Amitha's method worked best for me at that age. Nowadays though I just bribe him - not with food but with either a book/story or computer time.

V.

5. sweet_jindagi

sweet_jindagi New IL'ite

i also tried amitha's method when my son was 1 year old but after giving him medicine he always used to vomit all food and medicine as soon as he gets up ... then i started imitating like i'm also taking medicine along with him and slowly he understood and never messed up until now...

6. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi vanathi,
    ive tried that also. problem is that she doesnt swallow immediately. she keeps it in her mouth. then its obvious she will get the bitter taste. ive also tried closing her nose so that she just gulps it down but no use she prefers being breathless rather than gulping. since two days im mixing her medicine in little honey. she doest truoble much she gulps it. my question is; mixing honey in the medicine will it alter in the therapeutic use of that particular medicine. hope it just acts as a swetener rather than making any other effect to the actual medicine. im from a pharceutical backgroung, but only in the analysis not in the preparation. yet ive my doubts and thats why im taking your help. for your child you just feel you want to be have more knowlege and know more and dont want to take chances.

so shud i continue mixing little honey ?? she didnt vomit it out in 2days.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Zeenat - I understand your concerns. I tend to think of it like this - the absorption of most drugs (except a few) is decreased in the presence of food, so yes, it may decrease absorption from the gut. But if its a choice between no medicine going in and possible sub-optimal dosage I would go with the latter. I havent read anything about honey specifically interacting with any drugs so I guess it isnt significant. Dont worry :)

V.

8. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hey vanathi,
    [​IMG] your reply has really cleared my doubts and fears. and yes something is always better than nothing. you are a life saver....:bowdown

9. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I too used to follow amitha's method to give medicines when my daughter was very young. Now , i tell her that if she takes ( have been giving nutritional supplement daily twice) she will become brave & strong like lion & elephant and also that Barney has told so ( she loves barney character). She takes it without a fuss.

Abt taking medicines with juice, honey etc i really dont know much. But , i think i had read it somewhere that it is always best to take tablets with plain water.

Zeenath,

Try giving the medicine(syrup/tonic) with a filler from the side of her tounge and close to the throat, that way it slids into immediately.

Revathi

10. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Zeenat.. filler really helps.. there are fillers that hold upto 10 ml or more. just place the filler into her mouth from the side of her lips so that the tip of the filler is placed on the tougue (not the tip of the tougue where she will get the taste of the medicine) and directly eject the medicine down the throat so it just slides inside - she will not know the taste of the medicine.. you can keep talking to her with funny expressions on your face while you do this..

I suppose you give her medicine while she is in lying flat (maybe in your lap)..keep her in the same position for 2 or 3 mins to make sure medicine has gone beyond her food pipe.. keep talking to her or singing her fav song so she forget what really went inside..

My son used to have the same problem earlier.. he used to bring everything out if I hurry up in giving medicine.. now I have learnt to be patient so he doesnt throw up what he eat with so much fuss..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009