1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

fussy in taking medicines...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by achu, Oct 13, 2007.

1. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Re: Giving medicines to a toddler - ideas please

HI vanathi..

hope aadhu gets well soon...

this is wht i did for my daughter... here along with the antibiotic medicine we get something like syringe... (imagine a syringe without needle).. that was very easy to give antibiotics... try it...

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

If this is a tablet and not in liquid form, maybe you can try powdering and mixing with ghee and sugar. I tried that with the anti-malarial tablet for my son (but did not work)!.

If you are upto it, what may also work is have your husband hold both arms, make him close his eyes and open his mouth, tilt his head, put the piece of tablet and swoosh it down with some water before he realizes what is going on - that was what worked with the anti-malarial which is very bitter! (bit of brute force usage, though!)

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thank you all!

Mangai- you are so lucky Sakthi likes these things!

Latha/Janani - I'm keeping the sweet stuff as a last resort. I actually tried adding it to a little milk in the sipper but he refused that point blank!

Vahee - Unfortunately we dont get the syringe here

Pavarun - This is a liquid not a tablet or I would have done the powdering thing.

Amitha - Your restraining method worked great - used it twice today and it went in with very little fuss and spilling. He seemed to realize that he couldnt get away from it and just drank it without crying much. Thank you once again!

Update - he seems better today and both fever and cough have reduced a little. Thanks for the concern everyone - you dont know how touched I am that so many people care. These are the times when IL is like family....

Vanathi.

4. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Vanathi

My 3.5 year old now understands that if he throws tantrums I will somehow give medicine this way. So he doesn't say no to the medicines now.

I am very happy that I was of help to you.

Amitha

5. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

By the way I wanted to tell you this. Once Sunscreen lotion got into my elder LO's eye. When we called up Poison Control Department, they asked us to make him like a Mummy with a big blanket and clean his eye with luke warm water. But couldn't get blanket around him inspite of DH holding him. And this method worked Big Laugh.

6. mkclg

mkclg New IL'ite

How to give medicines to a toddler

Dear All,

Micky (13.5 months) is cutting his lower teeth.Hes really not ready eat anything.Dr has asked me to give him 1 ayurvedic prep to stimulate his Apetite & calcium syrup(both 5 ml bd).He used to take Ca syrup easily bt these days he s jst nt ready to open his mouth.Yesterday I gave him forcefully ,he cried alot bt still I was happy bt after 5 mins ,he vomited his last feed of milk which was given 1.5 hrs before.I have tried giving them empty stomach also bt nothing is working out.

Pls help me,

Monica

7. shefali75

shefali75 New IL'ite

Re: How to give medicines to a toddler

hi Monica,

have tried giving in syringe ?
    Another thing is my mom send me one spoon from India like a small bowl with pointed you just pour it in his mouth and it's not much trouble. i dont know what it's called.

i know it break our heart when they don't eat on regular basis but when they get ill it makes it more worst .

keep on hinging there.

shefali

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: How to give medicines to a toddler

Monica - I'm merging this with an existing thread on the topic. Please check the Index in Infants and Toddlers before starting a new thread so we can keep info in one place and prevent duplication. Thanks!

Vanathi.

9. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

Giving medicine ....BIG PROBLEM...

dear mommies,
    please help me.....my younger one is giving me real hard time when i give her medicine. she collects it in her mouth and does like asif she is gargling, then spits out accompained with a huge vomit. im tired...Rantof this. ive tried droppers, medicine glass, syringes.....but nothing seems to work. i never faced this problem with elder one. and younger one the moment she sees the medicine bottle in my hand she screams and yells and starts crying.
    is there a easy way, wherein at least she will not vomit and the medcine will atleast be consumed. how will she become alright if the medcine doesnt go beyond her throat.

please help...Drowning

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Giving medicine ....BIG PROBLEM...

Zeenat - I'm merging your thread with an existing thread on the same topic. Hope you find some suggestions here - or maybe our moms will contribute something new...hope your DD gets well soon...

Vanathi.