Funny: Most Difficult Recipe you ever encountered ??

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sweetshreya, May 23, 2013.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

You must have seen many dishes which you loved when you ate it for the first time and enthusiastically asked/searched for its recipe. But the moment you come to know how its made, you feel like a balloon that has been pricked with a needle. All your energy drain out at the mere description of the process it takes to make it and you feel like doing :bowdown:bowdown to the one who has prepared it for you.

Some of my list:
    1. Roomali Roti: I saw the thread here and happily went to the link someone has posted..... :bowdown

2. Its also very funny that people have entirely different perceptions of whats called easy and hard based on their backgrounds.

One of my friend from Himachal Pradesh had made instant rawa idlis when I visited her. And she was like saying "those south Indian idlis are so good and soft. I don't know why I cannot make them so". So I told her the usual process of overnight soaking, grinding, etc. She was like :eek:mg: I never knew idli-dosa are made after so much 'mehnat (hard work)' They make it look like a very simple thing. She was :bowdownthe whole evening and I was :rotfl

3. Its not only about the background. I'm a Maharashtrian and I'm yet to try Puran Poli. :hide: I find it so intimidating ..... I know I cannot escape it forever. But I'm sure it will take me another 3-4 years to gather courage for making it :) (I'm sure most of you are feeling :bonkabout this confession)

Today I wondered does everyone has some recipes that make them
    :shaking:Are there any dishes that you have never tried simply from the fear of skills and efforts it takes? Lets see what others feel about them.....

8 people like this.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

You are so right shreya:)
    One dish I have never made after I married is saag and makki ki roti. I hear when u say being a Maharashtrian you still can't make pooran poli :)
    I am Punjabi n I find the whole ritual of cleaning mustard leaves, spinach, methi bathua etc for swag too tiresome and :bowdown to people who do that. Real saag needs through cleaning then cooking on slow flame for hours then grinding by hand using tradional wooden blender and adding makki ka ata and finally tadka . people take short cuts but then the taste is not good. Every time my mom makes it I m amazed at her effort.
    Saag still I can plan some day but I can't make makki roti by hand using water.I tried learning it but alas! I can make by using chakla but not by hand.

6 people like this.
  3. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Mine is the traditional fish curry made with mustard famous in Bengal and Orissa. I love eating it prepared by my Mom but I learnt the simple 10min fish curry from my MIL after marriage, and don't have patience for the mustard style one. But I love it and will take some time to make it well and also feed to DH. :)

4 people like this.
  4. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Despite being from Kerala, I make terrible idli, dosa and rasam strangely though I make very good parathas and even my north Indian friends like my parathas better. My husband constantly grumbles that he married me because he thought that I would make good south Indian food and calls me a "diluted South Indian" because I cannot make Rasam.

Strangely, because I grew up in Bombay I can close my eyes and make poha, sheera, or any such item but let's not talk about rasam, dosa and idli. Another thing that I manage to make a mess of is maggi noodles - for some reason I always get the water quantity wrong and it is too gooey!

9 people like this.
  5. sweetshreya

@Cutemonster: I make saag & makkai roti regularly. Shows my complete ignorance to finesses and details, when I directly blend it in the blender. :rotfl And roti, I make like regular chapati with 'chakla-belan'...... :bonk

In that way, we make jowar rotis called 'Bhakri', by slapping the dough with hands. I don't think I can EVER make one.... :-(

5 people like this.
  6. sweetshreya

Thats the spirit, FreeSpirit :) I too love Bengali Fish curry. But I'm somehow sooo scared of fish bones sticking in the throat that I take hours to finish even one small piece of fish. But that does not stop me from loving it :)

3 people like this.
  7. sweetshreya

I know this one.... I too can make punjabi dishes way better than maharashtrian ones. Can't make good poha to save my life. It always becomes one big sticky ball. And I don't even have the valid excuse of growing up somewhere else..... :rotfl

4 people like this.
  8. cutemonster

At least you make it na, I am just scared how will I clean all the greens and that stops me:)

2 people like this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Sweetshreya
    Let me start with my list...
    I can make a chicken biryani(i am a veggie..but hubby and baby are non vegs ). But i cant make a simple fried rice...the texture goes wrong or the rice gets sticky or the veggies get over cooked...this despite the fact that i can taste it.
    I can make fish curry(again a non vegetarian item) but i cant get my simple potato stews right...aaahhhh :bonk:

I can make paranthas but my poha goes wrong...:-(

Ufffff...somebody with tips on those items plssss help me :drowning:

2 people like this.
  10. cutemonster

4 people like this.