1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fruity Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 7, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

I grew up in a house that had considerable area around for us children to play…The compound of the house had many fruit yielding trees. Other than the quintessential coconut trees, we had jackfruit, papaya, mangoes, bananas and gooseberries of two varieties… These trees would kindly bear fruit during the summer holidays making our vacation a pleasurable phase.

Yet, my memories of having consumed fruits are sporadic. Of course, the ultimate pleasure of eating a ripe mango including the skin, juice dripping down the elbow, slurping and cleaning out all traces of the fruit from the kernel are all treasured memories stowed in the cherished corner of the heart…We used to chant a raunchy taunt to a sibling, squirrel or a crow to accompany the kernel and lob it as far away as possible…

Bananas, once ripe, would be carefully severed from the shrub and carried to the cool dark interiors of the ‘store room’ where it would be hung and covered by a cloth to let it ripen… We children would maraud on the bunch while the elders enjoyed afternoon siesta… Volunteers would be aplenty to pare and seed the smelly jackfruit as no one would stop you from popping one or two pieces into your mouth while you are on the chore… There will be plenty for your mom to turn into chakkavaratti, the ‘naadan’ jam that tastes heavenly…
    My paternal grand-uncle, would send baskets of oranges from <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Hyderabad</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY>…which we would relish as a rare treat those days… <ST1:CITY><ST1:pLACE>Oranges</ST1:pLACE></ST1:CITY>, available only near hospitals, became common in Kerala much later…

We, as children, used to poach in a neighbour’s garden for cashew apples and burn our lips and corners of the mouth with its pungent juice, uncaring about the discomfort… the only worry used to be getting the moolah out without being caught!

Yet, eating fruits was not a ritual as it is in my sasuraal! I was, initially, amazed by the amount and variety of fruits consumed by my husband’s family. I hadn’t, till my marriage, even seen litchis… Water melons were familiar but rare…as were musk melons, chickoos… It was not the newness of the fruits which astounded me. It was the very method of eating fruits… As with everything else eating fruits also was a methodical activity…

Amma would carefully pare, peel, dice and serve fruits to everyone after dinner everyday. Eating fruits after dinner is a religious exercise. Bananas are a must. The ones called “elakki bale” are the favourite of Appa. He’d go to any lengths to keep the supply on. Apples would be cored and cut with an apple cutter; grapes washed separated and equally distributed…pomegranates, halved deseeded and served… pineapples, skinned, sliced and sprinkled with sugar…

All was fine…except for the mango experience. No more, the pleasure of devouring a full mango… Mangoes, during the three months referred to as ‘season’ would be served after lunch and dinner. 5 to 6 mangoes would be washed, and cut into three pieces, two sides and the central part with kernel. For convenience, the two sides would be halved further… You are supposed to eat it after you finish your main course!

I used to feel very rebellious…That was not doing justice to mangoes…and there were all varieties…Appa spares no cost or pain, when it comes to getting mangoes.
    I used to long to indulge in my childhood habit of ‘bite, tear, slurp’ routine…but I was not a girl anymore…I was a married woman and I had to adjust to my new milieu… and adjust I have…

Once we moved to Bhadravathi, my sons started enjoying these ‘fruitful’ experiences. The family genes are generously distributed in them and they give their grandfather a run for his money when it comes to eating fruits…
    Appa is a quick eater and he’d finish much before all others at the table ( and, that was something else…meal times were strictly family time…there is an unwritten rule that all meals are taken by all members of the family at the dining table… I truly appreciate that! None of us are allowed to take the plate to the drawing room to watch TV while eating…so all have proper eating habits!)…Like I was saying, Appa eats fast and then helps himself to mangoes. Once one of the twins (who takes after his grandfather in his fondness for mangoes) watched as Appa helped himself to several mango pieces and commented loudly, “ My God…so many pieces for one person!” Appa burst out laughing and told us to cut a few more for the kids…

Seeing my twins’ fondness for fruits, I am a strict believer in the power of genes and DNAs… The guys just freak out when they come here. They shop for fruits and sometimes bring home monstrosities like Rambuttans and Mangosteens besides litchis, chickoos, strawberries, peaches and plums… In fact, my house is a mini fruit stall while they are here. We generally just feast on apples, grapes, pears and oranges… they even love partially ripe dates…
    Not a bad addiction, I suppose. Appa has planted so many fruit trees in our compound. We have regular pomegranate, chickoo, custard apple, mango, banana and papaya yields at home… Though I have become a more graceful eater of fruit…I am yet to take over from the matriarch of the family, the role and duty of distributing cleaned and cut fruits to the family after dinner…Guess I need to ripen more!

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Viju,

Nice experience. Actually I went to my own memories. Yes we even had competition as to who will finish the most number of mangoes in the given time (burying ourselves in bed with stomach ache due to consumption of large number of mangoes was a different story).

Before marriage in our house we all are supposed to have a banana in the night. But my husband's family is not such a great fruit eaters. But I am influencing my kids to eat lots of friends.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi twinsmom,

That was a nostalgic journey through memory lane.but i am not great fruit eater. I eat mangoes and guava when they are raw. and gooseberries,blackberries.. hubby used to say all nadu's taste..somehow though i eat apples,peaches,nectarines preference is always to ber, gooseberries and blackbeeries..

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear TM,

That was great, taking me back to my childhood days.....

My Grandfathers house had a big garden.... 5 types of Guava trees... Each one will have different taste, Gorukalikkai Tree (Sorry I dont know the English name), permogranite, jack fruit, mango, neem, lemon of differnt varieties....

Me my brother/sisters/cousins all put together 8 children really enjoyed ourselves..... My Grandmother used to mix the rice and serve in the hands and we used to fight for turns each complaining the other got more.......

It was all fun.........

Veda

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Pls forgive me for any spelling mistakes..... My wife called all the way from chennai gave a piece of her mind regarding spellings....

In my enthu sometimes i write inbetween my work......Forget that i am writing a english theory paper and use the spellings which comes faster....:2thumbsup: like i do in chatting with my wife......

Thanx...........

Veda

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi All...........
    Please don't mind...........don't you people feel sick of eating fruits........
    I can't tolerate one apple even for a day.....and I remember when I was with my parents, my mom made me to hate fruits as she will serve me a big banana each day as soon as will be back from school/college...I would have enjoyed if I could get once or twice a week but not daily..........
    I slowly started hating fruits as a whole except grapes of berries.........whole fruits are so clumsy to eat.........
    But to my misfortune all my in-laws (Hubby included) are gr8 lover of fruits........they really have razor sharp teeth and even can cut coconut from its shell........
    And these people will have at least one apple/orange/and peach a day.....its a must..........And for me I can have a 1/12 part of apple if somebody will cut it/deskinned it and serve it with all the decorations.........
    Everybody staires at me whenever I use to do this kind of preparation to have a bite or two of a particular fruit.........
    Sometimes, its good for health point of view as you won't get any kind of worm along with your fav. fruit..........
    Even I used to chop strwberries and pour some ice-cream or melted chocolate and eat it.........
    Don't you people think that these beautiful creatures (fruits) deserve a well decor for their presentation...........gosh, I am the only one in this category probably.................I still don't mind..........
    Take care you all................

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hahaha Meeta,

Accepted! Not everyone NEEDS to be a fruit eater... To each, his (her) own...! So go ahead and munch all those chocolates...
    And the the reference to 'worm'reminds me of a joke...
    What is worse than finding a worm in the apple you are eating....?
    Finding HALF A WORM! Hahahahaha!

8. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

For me both the family are food lovers...and as Meeta said these beautiful creatures need a good decor too...so i normally prepare the fruit platter and keep it in the fridge (as my hubby likes his fruit icy) and they keep munching on it right from the bfast time till bed time.

Roopa.

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

fruity memories...

I fall into the category for non-fruit eaters....but in case i had to have some fruits, i prefer apples with peanut butter....but not anymore...grapes is ok and if oranges are sweet and if somebody peels it for me then it is ok..but fruit juice is ok for me anytime..

Maybe my genes are with my children, they had to be compelled to eat the fruits and they give me as an excuse of not eating them...even my husband told me to eat them so that they would all eat...
    My hubby, he loves fruits---bananas is a must everyday.
    He will buy lot of fruits and make us eat...

fruits in a processed form like banana bread, blueberry muffins, strawberry cake and the like is a favourite for me..

sriniketan

10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Nice thread....
    I love fruits... I used to eat as many fruits as..... I eat as part of my diet plan :))))

Regards.