1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Frozen!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Aug 25, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Bhuvana assumed a tougher stance and talked to her only boy Arun. "See dear! You should not play with those children from streets. Do you understand?".

Seven year old Arun nodded, to please her. he would go and play again with them that evening after she left for work. She knew that too, but did not have a heart to punish him further. He was the apple of the eye to her and was born after a few 'long' years. And he seemed to have a poor immune system. Whatever infection first comes to city, he would be the first victim. When treating him, his paediatrician would joke - "Ah! Its the flu! So, the season has already started. Thanks Arun. I will be prepared!". He had advised Bhuvana not to give too much of any chocolates / ice-creams / candies and many other things.

Arun loved ice-creams and did not really care about whether it is branded or not. Having some pocket money [his dad had spoilt him - Bhuvana's words], he would rush to the ice-cream vendor - an old man who came in the evening. His care-taker would complain to Bhuvana and she would start scolding him. But he did not seem to stop. And his father did not stop giving him pocket money too. As he went out that evening to play, he was expecting the ice-cream vendor eagerly. But to his surprise, Muthu, one of the local boys, came moving the ice-cream cart. "Hey Muthu! How come you are here? What happened to that old man?", Arun asked.

"He is my grandpa. He is not well today, so I came!", Muthu said. As Arun was extending his hand for the ice-cream, Bhuvana intervened and said, "Can't you ever correct yourself? Come! I will give you the imported ice-cream that we have, now!". Both the boys felt sad and Arun mumbled, "Thats never yummy like this!". Bhuvana felt a bit for Muthu too and said, "Come here little one! I will give you some ice-cream too!".

Soon, both the boys had the ice-cream. Muthu was too happy and did not say anyting till he finished it. "Tell me little one! How do you feel now?", Bhuvana asked.

She froze when she heard him say, "Say you what? This is the first time I taste an ice-cream!".

2. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Good one RGS..The little one never even had a chance to taste an icecream...I too have had the same feelings once, when I saw a small kid selling coloring books at a traffic signal..I bought one for my kid and when i asked him if he likes to color, he just smiled and said he never had a color pencil...I felt that at a tender age when they should be holding pencils and crayons, they are trained to count money...sad plight of poor children...

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much for such a nice feedback Shobna. -rgs

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai RGS,

So many children does not have food to ear. If they get a chance surely they will answer like this only. This is the first time i am tasting it. Very good reply which froze me too.
    Poor children longing for good clothes, fond of qualifying themselves in the school very pathetic RGS. Good one

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much Sreema, for your touching feedback. -rgs

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is indeed a sad plight and it makes me sad that when we are concerned about infections, local stuff, and want to give the best things that money can buy for our children, there are those who have hardly anything to eat.

Poverty is such... a man selling ice-cream cannot even afford to give one ice cream to his own grandchild!!

A good one rgs... though it makes me said :-(

7. rgsrinivasan

Alas! Thats the state of many, Akila. Thanks for your nice feedback. Besides, I am planning to use these same 3 characters for 2 more short stories. Lets see. -rgs

8. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

aww... i dont want such a sad story :(

9. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Rgs,

Its a very touching blog.. There are some many children without food...its a very sad to see.

Shanti

10. rgsrinivasan

Is that so? Fine. Lets have something else next Tuffyshri. Thanks for your feedback. -rgs