1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Front Loading Washers: Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Vandhana, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Anjana,
    Yes it is indeed a novel experiance washing clothes in the tub. Anyway, with regard to front loading machines:
    the Pros:
    the clothes come out cleaner, and softer.
    energy efficient. you get to save lots on your water and electric bills( since the spinning actions of the front load machine removes more water from the clothes and hence drying times are much shorter in the dryer. )
    wash bigger loads in the front loader than a top loading one.
    more compact than the top loading one.
    better technology and quiter than the top loaders
    cons:
    you have to have a solid flat base to install the machine.
    it has to be balanced properly so that the spinning actions does not make the machine move and make loud noises.
    Thats all i could gather. maybe Kamla and Sihi can share their experiences.

Vandhana

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Kamla and Sihi,

One more question for you. Do you use the HE detergents that is the low sudsing ones that is recomended for front loaders? or the regular ones? :idontgetit: Heard the HE detergents cost a bunch more than the regular ones.

I went and bought the washer today. I settled for the later model of LG. Kamla, I looked at GE too , but i was getting too good a deal on the LG and could not pass that up, almost 300 bucks in rebates, from HomeDepot for the LG machine. So i should have my washer installed next week .:yes:

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Vandhana,
    same pinch and don't pinch me back. I too got a new WM on 9th and celebrated it by making besan payasam. Chitvish was pulling my leg for that.
    She couldn't understand why I was celebrating the arrival of a washing machine, of all things. I guess she had not come to this thread.

I had a IFB for the last 10 years and it was very useful. Just from last year it started giving trouble on and off. Of course, we had the AMC with the company and so no major expenses. Then we decided to exchange it and so contacted the IFB itself. The service people themselves take orders and this way we are rid of the dealer price.
    When we asked around, we were told a price of Rs.19000. But from the service people, we got it for Rs.18000 with a 30 piece dinner set in glass and also a travel voucher free. Along with this, the company also offered free warranty of 2 years plus additional 2 years warranty for Rs.1200. I feel it is a good bargain.
    And this new model is more sleek and has some more options.

I know this is not going to be useful to you, but wanted to share the joy and also congratulate you on getting a new one.
    By the way, Vidya24 suggested that we can wash a recron filled pillow in the machine ad dry it along with a tennis ball in the tub to make it fluffy. She does like that. Wht is your experience? I want to wash my pillows well, so thought I might ask you. Anybody tried this?
    What about dish washers? Do they meet the requirements of washing our kadaais and dosa makers?

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

Yes it will be good to have the washing machine . About pillows, i really do not know. I have never tried washing them. We just keep buying new pillows and give the old ones to Salvation Army or some such.

About dishwashers, I do not have any idea about the ones in India, but here the washers are excellent. I can put a really greasy kadai in and it will come out squeeky clean. I clean the dosai kal by hand only. It is good for washing all stainless steel stuff too.

Vandhana

5. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Congrats on your new machine Vandhana...seems like you have got a good deal...how much did you get it for?
    Sorry for not replying earlier about the detergents - I use the regular Tide liquid detergent with no problems. However I was thinking of switching to powder detegents because with LG we can use the pre-wash cycle only when we use the powder...esp. for my toddler's clothes that cycle would help.

Anjana, as Vandhana has already pointed out the pros and cons of a front loader, I would like to add about the spinning cycle. It surely needs a solid flat base and should be installed correctly. The machine comes with four screws in the base which can be adjusted to minimize the loud noise and vibrations during the final spin cycle. In our home, the laundry room is in the second floor, so it was really important to get the machine installed correctly with less vibrations. As a precaution I also use the medium spin (instead of high spin speed) speed always. Another important thing with front loaders is - we have to load the clothes properly or else they all get clumped up during washing and the machine would make a big thump noise in the spinning cycle.

Regards,
    Sihi

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sihi,
    Thanks for all your help. I bought the 3.75 cubic ft, LG 2077cw model. It retails for about 899, and after all the rebates, it was 600 bucks.

They had other LG models with more options like steam cleaning and sanitary cycle for baby's nappies etc... which retails for 1400 bucks, I settled for this, don't have much use for the sanitary cycle now. !!

My only doubt is whether my king size comforter can be washed in this. I will have to try .

Oh and one other tip ladies, if the color of the machine does not matter, please always go for white, it is atleast 100 bucks cheaper than the other colors or stainless steel ones. :goodidea:

Vandhana

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Vandhana on your new washing machine:) So, you must be really washing and washing these days haan??:)
    Yes Vandhana, I use only the HE detergent for the front loader. I have no idea what happens if you use the regular ones. Why tempt the providence and invite trouble? I get my HE detergents from Target and sometimes they do have a good offer and at such times, I buy more and reserve.
    I feel that at a certain price level, all the machines are more or less of similar quality. So what brand should not matter too much.
    Front loaders are any day better than the top loaders. I cannot understand as to why they have been introduced to the US market so late. Europe generally has front loaders only and I was most unhappy with my washing machine when I came here till I got the front loader.

L, Kamla

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear vandhana,

By the time I came back after my modem problems you have finished buying your washing machine.

I also heard from the Bombay dyeing people that their pillows can be washed in the washing machine, but i have not till now. Anyway Vidya's idea of puttin a tennis ball with that seems a nice idea. Let me also try.

I also might have to start looking at new machines, but the IFB personnel are asking me not to go for the new one, just to change the body and keep quiet.
    So, when the repairing cost is cheap m my Hubby is also for that. Anyway, I have to do something as the body has started rusting and chipping

Latha :wave

9. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Anjana,

In the top loaders you can open inbetween and add clothes. But in the front loaders you cannot do this.

Latha :wave

10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Latha,
    I just exchange my IFB with a new model . If you buy with at the service itself, you get a discount of Rs.4500 on the MRP, a 30 piece dinner set and also a scratch card. Mine cost Rs.18000 + the gifts. I feel it is a good bargain, the AMC is 1500 annually. Ask your service people.

1 person likes this.