1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

From TOI - "Child dies after being given neem oil"

Discussion in 'Infants' started by radhee, Mar 20, 2010.

1. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

1 person likes this.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

What a sad thing for the family. Oh God! I wish people will just stop following what grandmothers did blindly.
    In ancient times - that people keep quoting whenever they talk about the benefits of natural medicine - children weaned anywhere between 4 and 7 years. Anthropological studies have indicated weaning started when the first permanent teeth erupted. Obviously, that is not going to be happening in the present time and age. But why cannot people gently wean, be responsive to the child's need and instead of forcing a child to stop something that provides comfort to them. And then when the child turns an adult and behaves just as un-responsive as they were with the child, parents get all bristly.
    People think that plants are good, beneficial and natural.But plants need to survive through and have their own protection mechanisms that include neurotoxins. p.s. strychnine was first extracted from plants even if it is synthesised now.
    What a sad waste of life, what a sad loss for the family.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

this is so so so sad! seriously disheartening...
    radhee thanks for sharing, this makes me all the more firm about the decision to let my daughter wean off on her own.... of whatever time she spends with me :)

4. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Sad news..

big loss for the family...

5. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Very good point Krithika about the age of weaning then and now....The problem with our elders is that they don't analyse or reason...The just want to do whatever their parents/grandmoms did...Just yesterday a cousin of mine was fuming over how her MIL gave her 2-mo baby vaazhaithandu juice (plantain stem?) against the wishes of the baby's parents. People like her just want to show that "they know a lot that the younger generation does not know." Agreed that they know a lot through experience, but they don't realize/appreciate that we parents also take well-informed decisions...I hope this incident is an eyeopener to everyone...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  6. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite

hi

i think the neem oil wont be pure. nowadays everything is not pure.

lakshmi

7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

That news was shocking Radhee...thanks for sharing it here because we have been discussing neem oil for weaning many times on many threads.