1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

From Ramp to......

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Navpreet, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I thouht of sharing a story written by me with all of you.Here's the story,read it and don't forget to give me reviews for improvements(critics are welcome as they are a writer's best friends).Waiting for your response.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007

2. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Ultimately, after hectic journey of 8 days, Geetanjali reached city of her dreams, Mumbai. Filled with enthusiasm and zeal to achieve her goal. She stepped out of railway station carrying loads of emotions, some joyful and other pinching.
    “Taxi!”
    “Where?” taxi driver asked her where to go.
    “Hmmmm!”
    After thinking a while, she answered “Sun n’ Sand hotel.”
    “Why hotel? Why not to your aunt?” her mind questioned.
    “Why should I take someone’s help? Remember! How Papa scolded me and threatened to disinherit me. Even mom hadn’t supported me.”
    “I hadn’t said anything wrong?”
    “I had expressed my wish to be a fashion model, instead of, marrying that stupid Navy Officer, papa had recommended for me.”
    “Why they hadn’t understood such a simple thing that I just want to fulfill my dreams.”
    A tear was about to fall from her eye but she withheld it.
    “I’ll prove that I wasn’t wrong in following my dreams.”
    “I’ll be a super model! I promise you mom & dad. And you will proudly say that Geetanjali is our daughter. I promise!”
    “Memsaab! (Madam)”
    Taxi driver’s voice broke off her series of thoughts.
    “Ya” She replied half-consciously.
    “We had reached the hotel.”
    Geetanjali paid him off and entered the hotel leaving not a little room for doubt in anyone’s mind that she is stranger to city. A helpless stranger! On entering her room, she felt need for sleep as 8 days journey had shown impact on her body and soul.
    “But! Before sleeping, you have to plan your next step. You are having only Rs.35000 and you can’t survive on Rs.35000 for many days in city like Mumbai.” A voice came from inside.

“First of all, find a low cost accomodation.Then, a job for supporting your living cost. Preferably, a call centre job in night shift.”

“Good Idea!”
    Fatigue showed its effect and she felt fast asleep, while thinking all this.
    Geetanjali, 5’8” slim and beautiful, younger daughter of a Navy officer, had always dreamt of glamour world and won many beauty peagents in her college. When she announced her decision to be a Fashion model to her family, they opposed the idea b’coz they want her to marry a Navy Officer. Nevertheless, Geetanjali had fixed her target and that was glamorous world of fashion, instead of, marriage. Therefore, she revolted against her family and left her home for her dreams.

Next day, she started her search for low cost accommodation but it was not as easy as she had thought. Nothing matches up her expectation. After two days of continuous search, she got a room in working women hostel. Interestingly, her roommate was also an aspiring actress, Shweta. Then she started giving interviews for job but it was again a big challenge. After three weeks of hard struggle, she got a job in a call centre with starting salary of Rs.10000.
    Now life seems somehow easy. One month passed away, Geetanjali and Shweta had developed a strong bond of friendship. Moreover, now Mumbai seems somehow familar to Geetanjali but she missed her family and her home city,Delhi.She always dial their number and hear their voices to assure that they are fine but didn’t dare to talk. During this month, she got a call from a model agency for meeting. She reached the venue at appointed time. But soon realized that she had fallen prey to casting couch and escaped from there by hitting that person hard. She ran away as fast as she can. After that incident, she realized why her parents were against her decision. She did not tell it to Shweta but that day onwards, she was more alert. It was hard to maintain day & night schedule of work but Geetanjali was determined to achieve her target so she worked day & night for sake of her future. One more month passed away, but she hadn’t climbed first step of her career.Sometimes, she feel depressed but Shweta always support her and motivate her. In third month, she got a call from a model co-coordinator for a meeting.Geetanjali’s heart was beating with double pace as she stepped in the co-coordinator’s office. Many thoughts were arising in her mind, one after another and she was unable to stop them. Ultimately, she found herself seated in front of Mr.Hemant Mishra.He offered her a modeling assignment for a small fashion show.Geetanjali having no other option accepted his offer for Rs.5000.She was extremely happy that at least she got an assignment. Co-incident or mere fact, whatever you may call it; Shweta also got an offer for a music album. It was a good chance for exposure on television. After that show, Geetanjali did not have any further offer. Shweta was lucky in this case, she got many offers for music albums, and teleserials.Shweta got plenty of work and money so she bought an apartment for her and shifted there, she offered Geetanjali to accompany her, but she refused. In sixth month, she saw an advertisement of a model agency hiring models for a beauty product. After facing a tough competition, Geetanjali succeeded in impressing judges with her soft speaking skills and confidence. She was flooded with offers after that assignment. Therefore, she left her call centre job, bought a new house and car. Within a year, she was among top-line models of country with high-class society leaving her past and Shweta behind. She had worked with top designers across world. In spite of her fame, her family hadn’t contacted her. She once tried but her mother refused to talk with her. Her sister had married a Navy officer but they hadn’t invited her. Therefore, she decided to visit her family with a thought that now they will accept her. She was feeling a sense of excitement as she was coming close to her home. She pressed the doorbell, hesitantly. “What are you doing here?” Her mother asked ruthlessly as she saw her.
    “Mama! I came to meet you.”

“But, I don’t want to meet you.” she tried to close the door.

“Please mama, let me in.” She requested” I will go after meeting papa.”

“Papa!” Her mother started crying, “You had killed your father, and now you want to meet him.”

“Kill!” Geetanjali shrieked with fear “What happened to papa? Tell me, mama.”

“He died of heart attack, six month after you left us. Geetanjali… this was last word from his mouth.” “Go away. I don’t want to see your face. You had killed my husband. Go away” she slammed door on her face.

“Mama! Please open the door. You are alone. Come with me. Please mama. Please!”

“Go away. I don’t want to see your face.” Only these words came from other side of the door. Geetanjali waited for half an hour but no reply came for her request. Therefore, she returned, unwillingly. “You had killed your father!” these words were revolving in her mind. She left Delhi, immediately. That whole night, she cried for her father, her loving father! After that day, she involved herself neck-deep in work “But for whom I am doing all this? What do you want to prove Geetanjali?” her inner self always questioned her and a feeling of guilt roused in her mind. During a fashion show, she met Vineet.He came close to her and introduced her to cocaine as a way to reduce stress. Geetanjali trying to forget herself got addicted to drugs. Her expenses started outshining her income. Some of her close friends admitted her to deaddiction centre, where she met Dr.Deven, who gave her emotional support and Geetanjali got her life and career back.
    After two years, Deven and Geetanjali married. She felt her world complete after her son’s birth. However, her mother’s memories still made her feel guilty. She got offer for modeling and again was neck deep busy in her work. Her decision leads to crash in her married life. Deven don’t want her to work as their child was suffering but Geetanjali want her high society lifestyle back that Deven could not afford. Ultimately, after four years of their marriage, they parted away. Deven got legal custody of their son on ground that Geetanjali is a careless mother .He moved away to Germany with his son. Geetanjali was again alone in lights of glamour world and darkness of her life. She got back in clutches of drugs. Her career started vanishing. She lost her mental balance and disappeared. Nobody bothered where she had gone. After fifteen years of her disappearance, a news channel found her begging on the roads of Delhi. Nobody had taken her responsibility, not even her mother and sister. When her closed friends were asked about her, they hardly remember ‘A girl named Geetanjali!’

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Hope you are not referring to the case of the Model who was found begging in Delhi....

Yes, in real life lot of people lose their family and friends in search of fame and money... If you get into drugs or alchohal, your life is finished... Addiction will kill your family life...

Nice one... But tragic ending.... I dont like tragedy stories... Sorry...

4. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Thx for your review.You are right it's story of a Model who was find begging but i had mixed her circumstances with sum fiction.Once again thx for your review.

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Navpreet
    nice way with words though v can guess that story is from the? famous model found bagging in Delhi. Tragic end but was unavoidable.
    Bye Jaishree