From India to Yokohama

Discussion in 'Indians in Japan' started by kvds, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sem_karan

sem_karan New IL'ite

hi divya,
    this is seema from japan. i actually live in yokohama. u need not worry about the place. when are u coming to japan?this is infact a good place to live. the language here is japanese. but u need not worry it will take a week or so for u to adjust with this environment.for everything u can use the map. no need to depend on others.regarding indian stores.yes. we do have so many stores through direct buying n online buying. there are lot of idian families in yokohama. we are ofcourse there to help u.the cost of living is little high n nothing is free in japan.
    take positive n have a good stay in japan u ill feel comfortable in all ways.
    bye. looking forward for ur reply.
    seema.:cheers

2. victorsarathy

victorsarathy New IL'ite

hi Divya,
    Fine and I hope you reached Yokohama here.. Actually I am staying in Matsudo. Sometimes I am staying in Yokohama,my cousine's house. So I dont know more idea about Indian store in Yokohama area. I think One shop called INDOBAZAAR is in Kamata,near of Yokokama.. But I always buying in Shin-Okuba near of Shinjuku. take care..Hope you enjoy here..

3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

hello Divya/Seema
    I live about 30 min Minato-Mirai line train ride from Yokohama. I go to Kamata grocery store. I would actually recommend going to Kamata Sunrise Shopping street for vegetables. They are fresh, sold by the growers and cheaper than what you find in stores. If you buy six or more items, you would probably recover the cost of train ride. You should also consider the shopping as an entertaining ttrip to watch the natives as well as an immersion experience in learning the culture via window shopping or browsing.
    After a year in Japan, I am now able to speak a little. Indians should be able to identify with this idea; after all, I know telugus and tamils who move north and after the begin with a few stock phrases they go on to learn more and more as each day goes on.
    Watch a lot of TV when ever time permits and GO OUT and see/hear real people in the street.
    best wishes,
    Krishnan
    P.S. It would be good if you can post here after you arrive.

4. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Hi Seema,
    Are there any organized groups that get together in Yokohama ? I am in Tamagawa area -- about 25 min from Yokohama by Toyoko-sen. I would be very interested in meeting some desis.
    best wishes
    Hopi

5. kareng

kareng New IL'ite

Greetings to you all!!

My husband and I may be relocating to Yokohama by Aug 09, and we just have no idea of what to make of Yokohama. But reading your posts, it does seem like a nice place with n pretty sizeable Indian community. From many website it seem that most foreigners are settled in the vicinity of the Motomachin-Chukagai area, is this correct ?

Could some one let me know :
    - what are the costs of an apartment (max 100m2) in that area or there abouts ? I would like to like in the vicinity of the expat community, so to speak.
    - what will my monthly outgoings be like; its just my husband and I, both non-veggies :)

I do look forward to your replies

Thanks in advance

Cheers :)

Karen:cheers

6. Urja

Urja New IL'ite

Hi Divya,
    I`m Urja, currently living in Yokohama.
    I m looking forward to see u in Yokohama.

Cheers,
    Urja

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  7. khushiP

khushiP New IL'ite

Hi divya,

This is Meena from Bangalore.

My husband just got a job in Yokohoma and we will be moving to Yokohoma shortly in October.

Please i would like u to give some information on any Hospital(s) especially for Gynaceology and other general requirements in or around Yokohoma. Also do i need to have a medical Insurance or can i pay in cash... Any idea of Medical expenses or Links would be really helpful?

I understand there is a Language problem so how are u all coping?

Hope to get a feedback as soon as possible so that we can plan ahead.

Thanks

8. khushiP

khushiP New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

This is Meena from Bangalore.

My husband just got a job in Yokohoma and we will be moving to Yokohoma shortly in October.

Please i would like u to give some information on any Hospital(s) especially for Gynaceology and other general requirements in or around Yokohoma. Also do i need to have a medical Insurance or can i pay in cash... Any idea of Medical expenses or Links would be really helpful?

I understand there is a Language problem so how are u all coping?

Hope to get a feedback as soon as possible so that we can plan ahead.

Thanks

9. suriya87

suriya87 Junior IL'ite

hi im suriya from chennai..my husband got job in yokohama..we are planing move in dec and i had 1yr baby with me..if it is safe to live there..then any tamilians there plz rply me pa..

10. manobhi

manobhi New IL'ite

hi geetha ru in japan now