1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friendship With Lies

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Anusha2917, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you! This is the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Apart from confronting which I'm not comfortable doing and totally ignoring, giving a suggestion of counselling seems to be a good idea .
    I'll consider this suggestion.
    Regarding IL, guess that's also a good option. As one can be anonymous here she can use it for venting.
    Let me give it a try when I get the right opportunity .

Angela123 and deepthyanoop like this.
  2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

She seems to be depressed.
    She could be having serious problems with her husband. Invite her to your house, have a talk with her.
    Regarding the hotel thing, the guy could just be a friend. Nothing creepy.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Anusha,
    I find it a very disturbing that she left her child and went without letting anyone know. This really needs to be addressed, this is not acceptable behavior from a parent.
    No one needs to leave their child abruptly at a party to talk to a friend. This kind of behavior should not be enabled or encouraged. We like to brush things under the carpet because it is uncomfortable but addressing this might also help her come out with her issues.
    A friendship without trust is not a true friendship at all.

4. Anusha2917

No not comfortable yet to do that.
    I would happily introduce the friend (as I mentioned in the post it's not clear whether it was male or female) to the bigger group and ask him/her to join us for the party!

5. sandhya2020

sandhya2020 Silver IL'ite

Maybe she is having very serious problems with her husband and she has no where to vent. You can tell her that
    she should not bash her husband in front of all- if she needs emotional support she can talk with her closest friends but not in front of everyone. Regarding her health, not all of us can have control over diet - it's not a reason to break friendship.

It was one incident , and again it's not a reason to break friendship. But you can ask her to clarify what happened and you find it rude for her to disappear like that in between her birthday treat. Is she in any real trouble- ask her. If you feel her troubles may spill into your life, then avoid her.Not comfortable with the idea of isolating someone or all this group dynamics. Anyway, if you feel personally wronged by her, have a talk with her or avoid her . It's not your duty to take everyone's troubles on your head. You can maintain distance from her, but don't make it a group thing.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    sarvantaryamini and Anusha2917 like this.
  6. Anusha2917

I have a lot of observations(just plain observations and no judgements) regarding her parenting but that's the last thing I get into. When I have zero experience in parenting I would be the last person to judge or talk anything regarding that.
    True words.

7. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

If I were in your place, I would just tell her in private that she needs to watch her words since she is putting herself in trouble. If you want to really help her, ask her what is bothering her, do not judge her. I do not understand why should a woman be castigated if she is trying to vent.

I would be really concerned about her behavior at the restaurant though. If it was me, I would go straight to her, excuse myself and tell her she has been out for a considerable amount of time. Why should she think that someone was spying on her? Did she really expect that people won't notice her absence for a long time? I would tell her that I was concerned about her safety and not assume that she just left, especially when her kid is there behind.

Don't men go and vent to their friends? And whatever advice or stupid suggestions they get from friends, family and extended family they promptly put into action. Why women have to feel guilty about venting? Venting is not the issue, doing it all the time and everywhere is a problem and that should be told without making the woman feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. If possible try to help, if not, just let her know that her venting is not serving any purpose and she needs to address her problems whatever they might be, probably discuss it with someone really close and not when there are other men/women.

Finally, I do not understand why women refuse to sympathize with other women? Why we fail to see them as humans, that they might be facing their challenges, though they may not be the same for everyone? Venting is not good, but sometimes venting is crucial to release pressure. Have we not seen cases of people looking calm and happy, silent till one fine day we hear of sudden demise or suicide. If we as a society cannot commiserate with each other, then what is the use of a society?

Vaikuntha and Anusha2917 like this.
  8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes.
    The friend is a careless parent for sure. Its unsafe for the kid. She just left the kid in the party and didn't inform you guys.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  9. Anusha2917

Thank you all for inputs in this.
    I have considered a few points from here.

Right now it's a pause for any thought. She's in middle of some health crisis and we are just trying to help where we can.