1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friendship With Lies

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Anusha2917, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Need inputs for below.

Recently when we got possession of new apartment I made a lot of friends there. It's a very huge complex and one thing I wanted to make sure is when I am away from my work I'll utilise my time doing what I like to do. So made a lot or friends and in that we a gang of 6 became very close like besties. All different age group and very decent ladies with work and their family as their priority. No complaints about anyone and all are nice and we gel very well with each other. We meet once in a while, celebrate birthdays, go for dinner and take each others help when needed.
    But one in that seems a little eccentric.

Everytime when there's a talk about spouse she puts down her husband very badly in front of everyone. From what I understood is her relationship with her husband is not very great . Both physical and emotional relationship. Not sure they fight but it's kind of not great as per her words. Few incidents which made me think.
    1) There was a birthday party of one the friend's kid. We all attended the party with our spouses. When all were at the dinner table some conversation came about spouses and she immediately started putting down her husband (he wasn't present at the party) . This was in front of our spouses. She went non stop until one of us changed the topic deliberately as it was making everyone at the table uncomfortable. This made my husband ask me that night, what kind of a friend you made? Who will talk about their husband Like that ? Indirectly he said me to stay away from her.
    My question is next time she talks about her husband like that should me or anyone in the group tell her not to do that? I generally don't like to advice anyone volunteerily.
    2) January and February saw three birthdays in the group and since I was busy with my exam they waited until I get free to celebrate the birthday. She was one among the three and we decided to celebrate it at a cafe nearby. She joined us at the cafe Vv late. She sat for sometime and then got a phone call rushed outside without telling anyone anything. Thinking she will come back we continued with our chit chat. After about an hour we realised she hadn't come back and her kid was very much with us playing with other kids . And all the food we had ordered we all had finished it. She had eaten 3 spoons in her main course. After we finished the desert he got the bill and since it was her birthday treat we wanted her to have a look at the bill and also it was getting late in the night. She didn't turn up and wasn't picking up our calls. Everyone were getting impatient. One friend said she will go n look for her and went down searching her. She came back n said there are a lot of guys outside and she couldn't find her. (yes it was a cafe come pub and huge gangs of guys were out there smoking) . I accompanied her again and both went down searching her. We walked on the roads looking for her and there was an empty land after 2 3 buildings of this cafe and we saw her there with an other person(male female we couldn't make out as it was pitch dark but her light color top was very much visible for us). It was very shocking. The worst thing happened ,she saw us walking that way and not knowing what to do we walked back. But it was super embarrassing as I felt she would start feeling we were kind of spying her. We both silently came near the cafe entrance and were preparing our lies. We thought we would tell her that I was feeling pukish ,hence we came down. We went upstairs in the next 5 mins and shocked to notice her at the table. I asked her when did u come she said long time back in monotone with other friend who said she came just now. It was very surprising because we were very much near the entrance and not sure how we missed seeing her enter the cafe. She left immediately inspite of us requesting her to take pics with us.
    I could sense her tension . She didn't want any sort of questions from me n other friend and said she's in some trouble n left hurriedly.
    We went near the entrance and started taking pics . Even though it was getting late my husband was on the way to pick me and others said they'll wait until my husband reaches n then they will leave. They all had come together in one friend's car. After 15 mins that female comes back and continues to click pictures with us . Before anyone asked her anything she said there was some problem going on and it's solved now and she is ready to stay back for pics.
    Don't know if any of us should confront her any of these things. I thought leaving it as is better but I'm 100% not convinced. Should I confront and ask her what she was up-to at a dark n doddgy place like that?
    Not sure very confused. Still somewhere I feel we chould have asked her there itself when we saw her at a dark place like that.
    3) Her health issues : She always complains about her husband, parents etc. She is in early 30s and says she's having sugar.
    Recently she said she went for health check up and she has high cholesterol. No matter what we advice she doesn't stop eating junk outside. Starving and only drinking coffee ,taking aerated drinks always. Depending on domino's pizza and burgers everyday. Today she sent a pic of her from hospital with iv fluids and complained how she's all alone and neither her mom nor her hubby were there to help her. Everyone squeezed sometime in between their schedule and visited her at the hospital to notice that her mom and husband were very much next to her taking care of her. Don't know why she had to lie.
    These are just a few lies of her. But there are so many which we have seen in these 6 months with her. I have started major ones only.
    Not sure how to handle her and her lies.
    Not able to totally ignore her nor tolerate her lies.

The others in the group feel we all will sit with her n talk to her. My take is she's an adult and very well aware of the consequences of her lies . Confronting her will make her cook more stories and it's going to be lies over lies . Yes for me she looks like a serial lier especially after the cafe incident. I'm better off minding my business and not interfere in her life.

What is your take on this? Is it the right thing I'm doing by ignoring her or helping her in anyway will be a good solution.?

2. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

You are judged by the friends you have. The reason is whether it is positive or negative energy we absorb that energy from the people whom we interact closely. This lady looks very creepy, negative and bad news.

Stay away from her. But its hard to stay away from someone who is part of a bigger group. But discuss with the others and talk to her about how she needs to align with the group dynamics or find a different group. Looks like she is the odd one out.

We had a lady who never controls her spoiled son and he used to hit other kids. She would just ignore it and say "thats how kids are" (only her kid hit other kids, other kids mostly didnt initiate it). All moms got together and talked to her and she herself stopped coming to parties and slowly phased out and joined some other group.

You have to keep your first circle of close friends and family aligned to your values or else its unnecessary stress and anxiety for you.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  3. Anusha2917

Yes you are right. Off late I have started Getting negative vibes being around her .
    Guess it'll take some more time to slowly convey to her that her behavior is not suiting the group dynamics. Directly conveying is very difficult at this point of time .

senorita2019 likes this.
  4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    If you unfriend her and stick to the same group, and others keep seeing her, it will be difficult for you. Make it a collective decision. Meanwhile give that particular friend a benefit of doubt. Give her a chance to explain. Sitting an talking is a good idea, but do not give in if you feel she is fooling you again instead of telling the truth. Tell her if you are not convinced or you feel she is not truthful. It is upto her what she does with her personal life, but she shouldn't leave you all hanging especially like the situation in the restaurant. Also, I think it is better to be honestly talk with her on the situation when you guys found her with another person (tell her the truth that you went looking for her and found her). For me it is awkward to find my friend like this and if she is a friend that I care, I will definitely ask her what she is upto. Especially when she left her kid with you all. If she refuse to explain anything at all, it your clue that you should leave the relationship and do not bother to connect with her in future.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Anusha2917 and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Dynamite

Dynamite Senior IL'ite

I see two issues here and I am gonna play devil’s advocate here

1. Putting down her husband/mom : Maybe she is having some problems at home and you guys might not be aware of it .this is making her bitter and she is taking every opportunity to demean her husband .i am not supporting her behavior but trying to see what makes her behave this way .Maybe you and other friends can try discouraging or ignoring her whenever she speaks of her family members .If she is sensitive then she will definitely pick the signals and there might be change in her behavior.if this doesn’t work then maybe you guys can talk to her and explain how it’s spoiling the environment because of her whining .

2. Shady area : To be honest , from your description I did not find anything shady about the incident .if you and your friends were dining with kids then I am assuming it must be a family place in a safe neighborhood. Talking to someone few blocks away from the restaurant is definitely not something wrong .Maybe she having some genuine problem and did not feel comfortable sharing it with you guys . I think you guys need to talk to her and get more information before judging her or questioning her character. It’s a different thing if there are other incident which forces you to think that something is not right with her

If your are not comfortable around her then irrespective of how other feels you should start distancing yourself .Limit your interactions with her

6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Just the first paragraph stopped me in my tracks.
    Aren't some of us worried about one among this gang of 6?
    Who is studying for the exams ?
    Ignore the husband-smacker, and everybody else as well.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    sbonigala and Anusha2917 like this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I don't see any need for confrontation here. Looks like she is depressed. As group you can provide support for her by listening but other than that don't believe in isolating someone based on complains and lies.

8. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Pretty saddened by replies of taking a collective action against a so-called friend in group.
    This kind of mentality is Class A -mean girls' approved bullying tactics.

Why is your husband offended by her talking about her own husband? If it was uncomfortable, you could have changed the topic, which you guys already did. If she does it again- change the topic again, till she gets the message.

No need to sit her down and talk about anything, when she says mean about her mom/mil/husband- just say something like "if I had a penny for each time someone hated their husband- I will be so rich"
    follow by "yaar, we get such small time away from our work/families, lets not talk about husbands" or "sorry Rekha, husband topic is offlimit"

Does her husband not join in your outings, ask her one time why? If rest of group is uncomfortable by her solo appearances, it is tough. Many groups do not accept solo ladies. Same dynamics in India and US. Singles hang out with singles and couples hang out with couples.

In group dynamic, the group always wants to talk about someone. They want some fodder, and in doing so make/find one that is 'odd one out'. Group dynamics is always like that. They then go on to drop that guy/grl and adopt another one. But again go on to find someone else who is odd one out. Sad situation. If you guys have to drop her, at least don't gang up on her.

Make a rule that no one is responsible for another person's kids. Text that one parent has to stay with child, at all times.

sandhya2020, Dynamite and Anusha2917 like this.
  9. Anusha2917

Yes this definitely is true and we can sense there is something troubling her at home. Honestly just us the whining is absolutely fine. It only got awkward when that happened in the larger group with spouses which she could have avoided.
    It's not mentioned as shady area. It was a dark and isolated empty piece of land.
    Yes genuinely there is a problem and there's no question of character etc. She is a close friend after all. But the confrontation part is a tricky one .

10. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

The lady seems to have major issues in life. However, non stop complain about the husband that too in a birthday party can be frustrating for many. The people present there were not just her friends. Their spouses and kids were there. It maybe too much to ask everybody should understand her problems that too in a party. Whatever problems she has, she needs to deal it in a matured way.
    Are you very close to her? If yes, you can try understanding what's her issues. Chances are she may be depressed in life or other serious issues she didn't talk about yet. You can tell her maybe she can try couple counselling or talk to a close family member. You can give her a hint that not everyone appreciate the public bitching of family members. It is different from talking with close friends. Maybe you can suggest IL if she feels to vent :)Tell her whatever be the problems,there will be a solution and she can handle it gracefully. Hope your friend is happy soon:). Good luck!

Anusha2917 likes this.