1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

frequent spitting up

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by minnu2006, Jul 30, 2009.

1. minnu2006

minnu2006 New IL'ite

1.5 Month old spits up very frequently. sometime a little during burping after feeding. trouble is she spits up during
    sleep
    and seeMs to belch painfully as well. gaining weight well though. any suggestions to reduce the spit ups?

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Spitting up during sleep can be dangerous if the spit up is inhaled. I would suggest you talk to your paed ASAP about reflux. Physically, this is what helped us: having the kid feed upright, frequent burps, keeping her upright for up to 30 minutes after feeds - DS ended up sleeping a lot on top of me in the initial months. Have your child sleep as much as you can and as she can, on her *left* side. The upper opening of the stomach is on a higher plane when the child is sleeping on the left and it reduces the amount of food refluxed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

try feeding more often but smaller amounts and also burping after every ounce or so. worked for my son.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My friend's baby was always spitting up and to me it seemed excessive compared to other babies. We took her over to see the paed and it turned out it was due to overfeeding by a devoted mom. I suggest you check with your paed...it might be as simple as this. Also try some of the positional tips mentioned by other posters.