Frequency of thyroid Tests during pregnancies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Priya123, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Priya123

Priya123 New IL'ite

Hi All To be Mommies,

All are fine?I just wanted to know during pregnancy how frequently do thyroid test would be done? I have thyroid since a year now and under medication. And doctor have done test in the month of Feb and all is normal. So when shall doctor do next thyroid test??

Thanks,
    Priya

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

2. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

It depends on you where you are during pregnancy. For the first 12 to 13 weeks of pregnancy, baby is dependent on mom's thyroid for hormone, after that, baby has it's own thyroid. It is critical not to be hypothyroid during first trimester as the hormone is very important for appropriate brain development. Therefore, doctors like to test it every 4 weeks during first three months. Too much of hormone (hyperthyroid) is also risky and may not sustain pregnancy.

If you are hypo or hyper thryoid before getting pregnant, then I guess they would likely test you more frequently. Otherwise, they test you once when you go for first scan and first bloodwork during pregnancy.

Good luck and have a safe pregnancy,
    nidhi

1 person likes this.
  3. samyuktha05

samyuktha05 Junior IL'ite

Hi Priya,
    Congrats on your pregnancy.I too have thyroid problem and Iam 31 weeks pregnant now.Here my OB/GYN suggested me to do thyroid test for every 1 r 2 months and she also recommended me to consult a radiologist.They did thyroid test in last month and the levels are normal then,So Dr told no need to go for another thyroid test during this pregnancy.Ask your dr to do the thyroid test in the next visit,because throid levels will change during pregnancy,so that they can increase/decrease the dosage you are taking.Take care.Have safe and healthy pregnancy.

Samyuktha.

4. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Hi Samyuktha,

congrats for completing 31 weeks :) can you please tell me why your OB suggested you to consult radiologist?? I am asking because I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid just before I got pregnant because my physician thought it might be enlarged. I never followed up after that because my thyroid levels were normal (1.5 to 2), and I got pregnant soon after. I would take up this issue after delivery.

Thanks!
    Nidhi

5. samyuktha05

samyuktha05 Junior IL'ite

Hi Nidhi,
    My OB recommended radiologist for anamoly scan not for thyroid problem.But the radiologist prescribed growth scan for every 6 weeks due to my thyroid problem, beacuse sometimes hypothyroidism will effect the growth of the baby.Iam not scaring you,but that is the reason my radiologist told to me.Wish you a safe and healthy pregnancy.

6. Priya123

Priya123 New IL'ite

Thank you all for such quick and clear response. I am 23 weeks preganant. last time when i tested in the month of feb i had normal result(2.4). So i called up gyno and asked. she said she will do it next in the month of may. But i had read that during pregnancy as baby grows thyroid tablets intake will also increase and hence tests should be done every 6-8 weeks. So was tensed and thought of asking ladies opinion. . M now under 87.5 mg thyronorm.
    During pregnancy i hope most of the women would be tensed for even silly things. atleast during their first pregnancy.

ONE more question: During my first trimester(around 6th week) my thyroid was 10.6. then she increased dosage and then during 12th weeks it came to normal. I am done with anomaly scan and triple test. Everything is normal . so no need to worry right?

Thanks,
    Priya.

7. Sairoopha

Sairoopha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya123,
    Iam also having thyroid now i am 7weeks, before pregnancy my thyroid level was 0.01(normal range 0.38-5.00) when i crossed my dates doctor again checked my thyroid level it was 0.08 still low so the doctor decreased the dosage as 75mcg from 100mcg, The doctor said Every month have to check the thyroid level!

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Even without earlier thyroid troubles/history i am asked to take blood test every month! Thyroid and Sugar levels are combo tests for me every month!