Freezable Indian-vegetarian meals for post pregnancy

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by crazymom, Mar 14, 2014.

1. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Ladies, I am not sure if I will have a big help after baby or not. I want to make meals ahead and freeze them so I can use it later on if I don't get any help during postpartum period.

Please suggest Indian meals that are easily freezable and also are good to eat during postpartum period.

Thank you.....

2. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I would check out " show me the curry" website, I am sure they have healthy freezable Indian meal ideas.

Cooks.

1 person likes this.
  3. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Most of the food stuff can be frozen..

Postpartum stuff - Use veggie curry with moong dhal, this can be frozen. After defrosting, just do a final tadka with ghee and cumin.

1 person likes this.
  4. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Thank you Cooks and Preethi.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

You could cook a big batches of dals; use single / double portion aluminium foil take away contains to freeze them as individual portions. You can defrost it in a normal oven or empty contents into a pan and heat is slowly.

Make me a big batch of curry base sauce - with ginger garlic onion tomato spices well cooked till mashed(or just whiz it in the mixie), and freeze it in portions. You can defrost that for making any curry quickly.
    - add milk and cooked whole urad + whole mung and butter to make dal makhani;
    - yoghurt and cashew paste to it could help you make a shahi curry;
    - chop aubergine into small bits (grill it first if you like that) and cook till it is mashed with the sauce and you will have a baingan bhartha
    - kasoori methi changes the flavour rather quickly for more variety
    - coconut milk also quickly will transform it.
    - you can even steam veggies in the microwave, mix with this sauce, layer and make a biriyani of sorts

Make thick coriander chutney - heat oil, add half spoon mustard seeds, 3 tbsp urad dal, red chillies as per taste and hint. Once the mustard has spluttered and dal has become light brown, add a roughly-chopped bunch of coriander. Let it remain on the heat for just a min. Add salt and a tiny bit of tamarind. Grind to a thick paste. Then make it into ping long sized balls and freeze. You can defrost a ball and either mix it with rice or add water and make a chutney.

Rotis freeze well. Paratas too. Dosa batter freezes well. Veg rices, biriyanis freeze well. except big lumps of potatoes, everything is brilliant out of the freezer, including namkeen.

2 people like this.
  6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Guesshoo,

Fantastic freezer ideas.. Guess I can use some tips even now after one year postdelivery to save time .. Thanks for sharing them

1 person likes this.
  7. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

awesome tips

1 person likes this.
  8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Great tips, guesshoo. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. DH can make chapati so I will ask him to make it. I can definitely make dals, lentils, and some vegetable subjis.

Thank you very much, your post was very informative.