1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Four Dangerous Additives in Processed Foods

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by coolblues, Dec 19, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

142.jpg
    Processed foods can be convenience, comfort or delicious foods that tickle the tongue but can harm you in the long run. The ingredients used in packaged and processed foods can be hazardous for your health. Here are five such dangerous additives that you much watch out while you shop for your groceries.

1. Food Coloring: Most foods that attract children have blue, green, red and yellow color have food coloring. Consumption of such foods shows links to children being hyperactive and can cause ADHD. These are generally found in cookies, icing, cereal, snacks and candies. Do check the labels and stick to wholesome foods.

2. Phthalates: This is a synthetic hormone found in canned foods. Studies show exposure to phthalates can cause endocrine disruption in animals and humans. This can produce disorders in developmental, reproductive, neurological and immune system. This hormone may also be present in personal care products. Eat fresh foods and completely avoid canned foods as much as possible.

3. Exictotoxins: These amino acids function as neurotransmitters in the brain. Large exposure to this toxin can excite the brain that can destroy the nerve cells. These are commonly found in salads, diet soda, processed vegetarian and non-vegetarian foods. MSG (Mono Sodium Gluatmate) and Aspartate are two forms of exictotoxins. Damage in nerve cells can result in learning, emotional and behavioral difficulties. Instant soups, flavored potato chips, dry food mix, burgers, dips, salad dressings are some foods that contain MSG. Aspartate is mainly used as artificial sweetener in ice creams, soft drinks and so on. Aspartame is known to cause panic attacks, blackouts, mood swings and dizziness.

4. BHA and BHT : Foods such as butter, cereals, chips contain Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) and Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT). These are used to prevent the formation of yeast and thereby give a longer shelf life for the processed food. Ingestion of BHA and BHT is linked to result in liver damage, unhealthy weight loss, fetal abnormalities and growth retardation.

This list can be never-ending. Studies are increasingly showing various additives that are hazardous for human health. Children are the worst affected. Therefore, keep an eye for these ingredients and reduce the percentage in the use of processed and packaged foods to lead a healthy life.

Do you know of any other additives that can be dangerous to health?

6 people like this.

2. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

MSG(MONO-SODIUM GLUTAMATE)
    -MSG is a flavor-enhancer and preservative that is added to many packaged and canned foods. In fact, it is found in most packaged foods, from potato chips to soups to canned meats, but it is not always listed as MSG. It can also be disguised on the label as "natural flavoring" or "glutamic acid." According to a report on MSG by the Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine, MSG promotes the growth, and spread, of cancer cells within the body, and can also be linked to "sudden cardiac death." In a study in the February-March, 2008 issue of the "Journal of Autoimmunity," researchers state that MSG is linked with obesity and inflammation within the body, particularly the liver. The researchers also call for it to be re-evaluated as a food additive, and suggested removing it from the food chain.

Thanks for your valuable info coolblues.

How about the artificial sweeteners?Are they dangerous?

3. coolblues

"Aspartate is mainly used as artificial sweetener in ice creams, soft drinks and so on. Aspartame is known to cause panic attacks, blackouts, mood swings and dizziness."

However, this is not the only artificial sweetener that causes harm -
    Aceslulfame-K, Sucralose, Saccharin, Neotame are some of the other dangerous artificial sweeteners that cause havoc to the body. Here is a sampler on the number of disorders that it can cause -

• Headaches or migraines
    • Nausea
    • Aggression
    • Shortness of breath
    • Menstrual changes
    • Thinning or loss of hair
    • Recent high blood pressure
    • Numbness of limbs
    • Phobias
    • Irritability
    • Depression
    • Epileptic seizures
    • Insomnia
    • Severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    • Tinnitus
    • Tunnel vision or decreased night vision
    • Blindness in one or both eyes
    • Skin irritations or hives
    • Bloating
    • Wheezing or coughing
    • Chest pains
    • Palpitations
    • Mood swings
    • Breathing difficulties
    • Muscle dis-function
    • Mental confusion
    • Visual disturbances
    • Cancer
    Stick to natural sweeteners such as honey, fruit extract, jaggery and maple syrup.

Take Care

3 people like this.
  4. gayathri1981

gayathri1981 Senior IL'ite

Very nicely written article.. in the US, almost all processed foods have MSG, carageenan, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). MSG is a generic term. it has 21 other names like maltodextrin,soy lecithin etc..,.its impossible for anyone to remember all 21 names. also,avoid any product that has a term NATURAL FLAVOR/FLAVORS. its a senseless term, who knows what flavor is it. i read once,they crush beetle bugs and add its juice to give that bright red color in kids products..so of course, beetle bug is natural, so natural flavor means something like that.

so the best solution is STOP BUYING ANY PACKAGED FOOD. or in case, we have to buy, it should have only max. 5 ingredients, and we must be able to spell, pronounce, and know the meaning,and source of those ingredients at least. a normal bread pack in the US has about 40 ingredients, to have longer shelf life, not to make it taste good. so i just buy bread from my local bakery that bakes bread everyday,of course i pay a dollar or two extra..and its okay !!!

its better to give whole foods to kids as early as they are little. if they are never introduced to junk foods, french fries and instant noodles, they would never crave for it when they grow. instead its best to offer them, veggies, fruits,or home made snacks like murukku,home made muffins,..preferably made with whole grains.

iam so sad to know evertime, a product that's sold in the US,makes its way in India.when this Walmart issue is being debated now, i wish and pray that it never comes to India. its a one stop shop to ruin one's health. even if you spend hours in that kinda store, you get zero health food, or whole food (with the exception of fresh produce, though I never shop any of my fresh produce in walmart)!!!seriously, its not needed in India.

5 people like this.
  5. coolblues

Excellent and well-said Gayathri! If not Walmart, there are so many other stores that are lining up with numerous products that have almost zero nutrition. Awareness and avoiding such products is up to all of us.

Good day!

1 person likes this.
  6. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

i was surprised to see "cereal" in coolblues' list at the end as containing BHA/BHT. We usually give cornflakes for the morning breakfast thinking its good for health!

7. sridharvijji

sridharvijji Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the information.

8. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

I am puzzled to see Cereal in the list , containing BHA /BHT.
    can some one please clarify this. My children's breakfast from almost more than two years is cereal .but different types of cereals. They don't like to eat chapatti, idli dosa in the morning and that too breakfast at 6 , 7 so habituated like this. And sometimes bread with butter or cheese . Now i am confused too, please someone share me ur experience or how to handle this.

thanks in advance

9. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

@Gayathri, very well said.

@Tavishi, my kids breakfast is banana and drops of Honey. I feed them every 2 and half hours like morning banana or oats or omlett. then any fruit or bread sandwich for mid day snack and then lunch all home made. No frozen foods in my home. No junks, no juice. my younger one ask for juice so I just peel the apple and grind it and give him. Also idli, different variety dosai,upmas are also in the list. Its ok not to eat variety of foods but eating healthy is my main focus. I dont do any deep fries at home. No puris only chapathis. I stopped using butter and ghee. I remember in one tamil TV show, we have avoid 5 white food items like maida,rice,milk,sugar, ..I dont remember that other item. Some how we are still using them.
    I make payasams, sweets for all festivals but make sure that does not involve too much process even at home. So we have think before we buy any pakaged food. My next goal is to avoid jam for the bread.

Nuts are also in the snack list mainly mixture of almonds,walnuts and raisins. Forget to add cooked peanuts

@cool blues, what to spread on bread with peanut butter?? I use to have nutella but that also has preservative so stopped it ....

1 person likes this.
  10. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

I am so surprised that how FDA approve these dangerous items in the food and approve it in the market?? All commercial and making moneyand we people are the sufferers and spending money on these foods and also spending money for hospitals. Its all chain links from FDA to doctors. Very sad:(