1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foster Mother- serial story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

After some scientific fictions, a comedy I venture into witting a tragic story. To tell you honestly, I could not write continuously as I was engulfed with sorrow for the heroin of this story. At the end of the story if you shed a drop of tear for her, I would be consoled.

Disclaimer: The characters in this story does not refer to any one living or dead. All characters, situations are fictional and I stand to be corrected for any commissions and omissions .

Episode 1:

Hi, this is my story. I am Jeya, a soft ware engineer working in a multi-national company in Mumbai. Along with me is Malligai my friend since childhood and next door neighbour in my home town Madurai. I should have said Malligai is my 'Udan pirava sakothari'. Malligai's uncle is in Dharavi, asia's biggest slum in Mumbai. Initially, I was worried to stay in Dharavi. But, after moving in there along with Malligai, I find it as a vibrant place especially for people from Tamil nadu. Malligai's uncle Murugan is an influential person and he had warned all the local lads saying,' these two girls have come to stay in my house. If I find any of you ogling at them, giving cat calls, passing snide remarks etc., I will send them to Sion Hospital right across the railway tracks to Dharavi'. It is amusing to see the lads putting down their lungis, throwing away their cigaretts etc. whenever we go crossing them. Speaking of Dharavi, here people are simple, lead a near contended life and if someone is in need every one comes to help. You can watch the latest Tamil movies and even movies yet to be released in Chennai can be seen here. Malligai's uncle travels daily to V.T some 25 Kms. away by cab. Earlier it was ordinary cab and nowadays he travels by cool cab which costs Rs. 300-Rs. 400 per trip. What business he does to have such a luxury I do not know. If Dharavi is noisy, dirty, always crowded, Nariman Point where my office is totally different. Initially, coming from a relatively small town of Madurai, I used to feel 'kannile katti kaattile vitta maathiri'. Getting down at Victoria Terminus and taking a bus to reach office is an ordeal which I am getting to like it. I am interested in meeting during the journey different types of people speaking different languages and with different mannerisms. It makes me forget the pressures of work and most importantly, my dreadful past at Madurai.

Murugan's wife Shenbagam is a very nice and remarkable lady. Apart from looking after the household chores, helping children with their home works etc. she has enough energy to churn the milk for butter in a traditional way and to pound the masala powder with her hands. She is a very affectioante lady. If we return home late one day, we will find her waiting for us with a worried face. She prepares breakfast, lunch box on working days and dinner. If we are at home, she will be serving us coffee, tea etc. periodically. Although Murugan's family are non-vegetarians, since I am from an orthodox brahmin family, they have given up cooking non-veg and go to restaurants if they want to eat. In many ways Shenbakam reminds me of Kuruvammal, Malligai's mother and who I regard as my foster mother.

You may ask if Kuruvammal is your foster mother, what happened to your natural mother. Yes, I have my mother living at Madurai and somehow she does not evoke any passion for her in me and it has been bothering me very much. I am born as the fourth daughter to my parents after two elder sisters and one elder brother. I consider myself unfortunate to have born as the last daughter since after performing the marriages of my two elder sisters spending all the resources like the provident fund and other retirement benefits of my father, I am a burden to them. Here, I would have been blessed if my elder brother is educated, has a regular job or income to support the family which is not. My mother used to scold me openly as 'kadaisi kalathile kazhutharukka vantha saniyan'. My father used to console me in those times. But, as my luck would have it he passed away when I was in school before I attained puberty. I am sorry, let me continue later as I have broken into uncontrollable sobs thinking of that day.

To be continued.....

2. rekhaprahalad

rekhaprahalad New IL'ite

TDU sir,
    U r gr8. I am new to this community. I enjoy solving ur brainstromers. Today, while surfing this site I was lucky to read this stroy and am eagerly waiting for the next episode. :)

:thankyou2:

3. Tamildownunder

Thanks a lot rekha for reading the story and appreciating it.

4. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

TDU sir,
    I do not know how I missed reading this story. I thought it is yet to come. I am sorry.

Story is not only interesting but also informative (about places). I have never been to Mumbai. Getting to know all the places:-D .

I am looking forward for the second part. Don't make it too sad, sir.

Thanks again!

5. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

TDU sir,

As Sindhuja said even i missed this post and thought that it is yet to come.

Nice start to the story and looking forward for the next episode.

Thanks Sindhuja for your post, in that way i got to see this :)

6. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

TDU sir,

Good start for this serial. Looking forward to the next one.:2thumbsup:

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear rama,
    when will it continue..sunkan

8. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

TDU Sir,

I had missed this story too. But I am glad I got around to this place.

Interesting so far.....works in a plush SW company in Nariman Point and lives in Dharavi.....that is the extremes of luxury! But these Dharavi folks sure have a kind heart.

Will wait for the next part!

9. rekhaprahalad

rekhaprahalad New IL'ite

the waiting is almost killing me:wink:

10. Tamildownunder

Dear rekhaprahlad,

I am sorry to have kept you waiting. As you know, I was busy with my Brain Teasers game and in between started a new comedy story also. Thanks for your interest in the story and please see the next episode posted in this forum.

I would like to bring to your notice and that of others who have been reading my stories that I have posted two requests to the administrator regarding the positioning of these threads. I am hurt by her indifference so far and it had diffused my enthusiasm to write stories. But, after seeing your post, I am starting again hoping that good senses will prevail on the administrator.

Regards,

TDU