1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Forgotten Sweetener

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by SupriyaDinesh, Oct 16, 2007.

1. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    Iron is important in everystage - childhood,Teen,Motherhood,Post-pregnancy,Old age.we find it difficult to include iron-rich foods- esply for toddlers.Jaggery is a good source of iron.Lots of dishes can be prepared with it.I would like to give a recipe which has this as main ingredient.

Jaggery(black) coffee

This is similiar to the decotion coffee.Except that instead of sugar we add jaggery water.I'll just explain to make the sweet water

Select jaggery which is hard and black in colour.Not the soft brown one.Break it into pieces.Boil 1 cup of water ,add 1 big piece of jaggery,let dissove then add coffee powder(not instant) according to taste.Stir and let cool.Strain it.

Take half glass of the sweet water,add milk and drink.
    Note: Dont add hot milk and hot sweet water

Please contribute recipes with jaggery.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Great drink with jaggery. As my husband is having only tea, he is telling me that he is going to try it on that.

sriniketan

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Thats great Sriniketan.This coffee is consumed in my in-laws side.It used to be a traditional drink in sourastrian community which is slowly forgotten cause its preparationis time consuming.BTW the sweet water came be refrigerated for 1 day.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi supriya,sriniketan,

Recently, with bru there was this coffee sugar made cane sugar+molasses...aka pana vellam...(brand-demerara??) which was good. coffee tasted the same.....

My granny used to make coffee the way you have described supriya, and with freshly made jaggery straight from the fields............(Those were the days!!!!)