1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiving

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vaidehi,

In fact, it is overwhelming response and support I get for my snippets that excites me. I can't thank you enough for your kind appreciation.

I am in total agreement with you that it is not easy to forgive and forget the resentment we feel emotionally because of the actions or words of others. But once I understand I hurt myself more from the resentment than hurting that particular person, I begin the process of forgiving. Like you, I have experienced similar resentments in life that were severe. But life taught me that resentment doesn't fix the person who caused it but it hurts my own spiritual growth and development.

Forgiving doesn't mean that we are doing a favor to someone who hurt us badly but we are doing it for our own benefit. In fact, there is no need to convey our forgiving act to that person. There is nothing who can help us achieve peace of mind than ourselves and our attitude.

We all go through tough times in life but why should we allow someone to destroy our growth and development? We should be the boss. Moreover, if we delve in the resentment so much, we deliver an indirect victory to the person who hurt us as their purpose is to hurt our growth and development.

Viswa

2. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Every time, I read your snippet and response to my snippet, I get richer in knowledge. The content of your posts reviews the subject both at worldly level as well as subtle level. It is a very hard subject to understand leave alone writing about it. It is much more complex than what we could comprehend.

There is no doubt in my mind that intensity of hurtful actions vary from a very simple verbal remark about skin color, behavior, appearance, marriage, spouse or children to major issues like rape, acid attack, murder, character assassination, etc. It is true the person who is facing resentment needs a lot of time and effort to heal him/herself. Forgiving and forgetting is an intense effort and it takes time. That is why I mentioned that 85% of our time is spent in reaction than receipt and response.

I agree with you that forgiving doesn't mean trusting that person again nor there is a need to even communicate the forgiveness to the person concerned. It is about our own personal growth and development. If the resentment is going to deeply hurt our own growth and development, why should we linger in that thought for a life time?

Actually forgiveness is not for judging whether a person is good or bad and it is for making the heart lighter inside and achieve peace. By giving up on forgiving, we deliberately make the person who caused the hurt to succeed. Healing can take time but it should be accomplished for our own self good. In fact, we have noticed Sonia Gandhi visiting her husband's killer to find out some answers and closure in her mind, but in my opinion it is enough if she could forgive them and move on without allowing that emotion to hinder her growth and development. Even in the US, recently 9 black people were killed by a young man because of the color of the skin and when the court met for the first time to indict him, family members of all victims spoke in the court forgiving the person who hurt their nearest and dearest. It doesn't have to be rushed but it definitely brings a great sense of relief to the people affected. There should be no pressure on the people affected to forgive and it should be voluntary. In my view, forgiveness is not to give comfort to those who hurt us but to comfort ourselves from the resentment. Seeking someone to be released from the crime is not forgiving. Forgiving should be to find peace in our heart so that such act doesn't hinder our growth. The law will have to take its own course and that is a right thing we need to do for those victims.

In the US, there are several studies carried out in jails by psychologists as the US has most prisoners in the world than any other country. They all came to the uniform conclusion that a major step towards making it into a correctional facility is not only to enforce the punishment but also make them aware that once they face the punishment, they can consider themselves relieved out of their sinful act. Teaching them to forgive themselves is the great step as most of the prisoners suffer from pricking of their own conscience. There are a few exceptions who never regret their actions.

Forgiving should include forgiving ourselves and forgiving others as well. It should be to establish peace in our heart more than exonerating the one who created that resentment in us.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Sri,

Thank you for your response and appreciation. In my view, the best way for us to defeat the will of those who are trying to hurt us is to show that we are unaffected by their hurtful act. But it is difficult for someone honest to act that way unless they really forgive them internally. Once we understand forgiving is not for the benefit of others and it is for our own good and to achieve peace inside of us, it becomes easier.

Viswa

4. Viswamitra

Dear Joyoflife,

Thank you for your response and appreciation. I feel better after knowing what I am suffering from. At least now, my pain is justified by the physicians. I am on a prolonged medical treatment in the form of medication and if necessary, a Laser treatment later as a last resort.

Don't be too hard on yourself as many of us are not forgiving quickly either at young age. I am so happy to hear that your daughter brought some pleasant feeling in you to forgive others quickly.

My theory is very similar to what you have nicely articulated. We can't control what others can say or do and all we can control is our reaction to it. I am against carrying resentment in my heart because it hurts me more than hurting the person who caused it. It doesn't mean I eliminate it right away. It has to go through a due process inside of me to achieve peace. My bad reactions cause more conflicts in my mind than before. Forgiving helps me achieve peace inside of me whether I communicate it with the person concerned or not.

We get humbled everyday from the trouble and tribulations we face in day to day life. The ill behavior of others is part of this. I am not here to judge them but to make myself comfortable in whatever environment I am given to work with. My growth and development stands a priority over my need to communicate others' fault. I can say it once for benefiting them and if they don't listen, then, it is their journey and not mine. Even if I make a mistake, I should repent and seek forgiveness but after that I should be able to forgive myself and move on in life.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

It is the other way round. IL is the best thing that has ever happened in my life. I meet so many knowledgeable people who can make the difference in my life. More than writing my post, I enjoy reading the responses I get from ILites. They bring so many different angles to the problem. I feel it is like cutting the diamond into so many shapes and finally having a look through the main face of the diamond and see that it glitters. Smt. Jayasala is the greatest gift that has happened to IL and her snippets and responses complete what is left unsaid in IL. Moreover, the amount of encouragement I get to write here is truly overwhelming.

I couldn't agree more with you on what you said about forgiving should not be considered as a weakness and encouragement to do it again and say sorry afterwards. Resistance should be built not to make ourselves vulnerable. I look at forgiving as an internal exercise to put our mind at rest as our reaction to the hurtful words or actions impacts us the most. It is most likely that others do such harmful actions out of jealousy to suck the energy out of us to create a huddle for our growth and development. By yielding to that, we may indirectly feed success in their heart to try it out more. Frankly, being unaffected by the pain caused to us is the best way to show the door to those who act in a harmful way. The worst thing that could happen to us is an implosion that resentment could cause internally depriving us from our self-confidence and enthusiasm.

Thank you for sharing the poem.

Viswa

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

My DH is a great fan of Dr.Dyer and when he passed on, he literally felt the void. He has often gone to various seminars and workshops of Dr.Dyer. I have read some of his books but my most favorite is the "Wisdom of the ages" Even though I haven't read all the commentary that he makes, the book touches me in more ways than one.

I often think about forget and forgive too and somehow I cannot help feel it is attached to our sense of self, our sense of right and wrong, agreed not all the time but still...It has helped me a lot when I remind myself that everyone is in the process of working their karma out, I can feel empathy however hurtful what the person has done may be and I seem to make my peace with it. It is work in progress and you are absolutely right about it being hard to forgive the ones that matter the most to us. It shouldn't be but...

Though you spoke about Dr.Dyer and wrote this as a tribute to him, your post drew me back to Richard Bach and all I could think of was this

“Amazing. You were so attached to it, and it still disappeared for you."
    “Attached! I was whocking that cloud with everything I had! Fireballs, laser beams, vacuum cleaner a block high...”
    “Negative attachments, Richard. If you really want to remove a cloud from your life, you do not make a big production out of it, you just relax and remove it from your thinking. That’s all there is to it.”

I do wish it were that easy!

We all have our messiahs, don't we?

1 person likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa sir, thanks for your unbiased response and I consider this snippet along with all the valuable FB as a light in my path. After reading the responses it felt a great relief that I had No grudges, no hatred, no reaction or no response inspite of my personal loss. If life demands to serve that person I would still do that with due respect but not sure if I can do that with love. It will be a long work in progress but one day I will be there. Thank you.

2 people like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Thank you for your wonderful reply.There is no second thought to the fact that forgiving is the best healer and gives lot of solace and guidance in spiritual growth.We have read so many articles written by lawyers, sociologists,psychologists and many other intellectuals when Nirbhaya case shook the nation in 2012.We got all the news papers and read almost all the articles verbatim to analyse the case in various angles.

In Tamil there is a saying" kutta kutta kunibavan muttaal.
    kuniya kuniya kuttik konde iruppavan atahivida periya muttaal'I think this relates to forgiving.
    Forgiving does good to the forgiver upto a certain point.If he is taken advantage of and hurt very often,patience reaches the saturation point.
    I am reminded of what Ramakrishna advised the snake"I advised you to desist from biting. But I never asked you to remain calm without hissing'.

There is a dire necessity to show the protest so that we are not branded dull headed and incapacitated and humiliated on and often.Article 21 of the constitution talks about 'right to live' and let others live a life of dignity.
    Giving punishment is one aspect.Every one knows that punishment cannot be a deterrent always.Many criminals from jail return as criminals only.In the same way many juveniles escape from the reform schools and indulge in atrocities against the same person or many others.
    It is true that we should ignore insults and get along, simultaneously realise our follies and go smooth.
    If everyone does this, there is no problem at all. There is no need for laws and penal codes.
    A small insulting word from a washerman made Shri Rama banish Sita the entire life.Even the blemishless Sita Suffered because Rama wanted to save Raja Dharma.
    This incident may be viewed in both the angles.

Had Rama been strict with people with wallowing tongues he would not have punished
    Sita .
    Or had Rama been satisfied with Agni Pareeksha already done, Sita would not have been punished second time for the same mistake, if at all she was considered guilty.
    Forgetting and forgiving may be solution for individuals.
    But it is never a solution in administration, judiciary and defence particularly.
    They have to keep a proper record of pattern of attacks, behaviour of terrorists, systematically analyse them ,keep a vigil and protect the nation.
    This revising the history itself cannot happen if we follow the strict principle of 'forgive and forget'.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Great peopel can forgive, ordinary mortals like me find it hard.
    See if A has done me injustice and harm, how can i forgive him? But if he is repentant, and asks for forgiveness, yes then i should forgive him and move on.

But if no forgivenss is asked, it is difficult to forgive or forget, but we can put it aside, stop meeting that person, stop thinking of that person, for he is a pain in the u know what.

i just get that person out of my mind, and i tell god, u will give me justice, i know u will make him pay in compund interest, and beleive me vishwa, god has punished those who have hurt me, and has given them good and proper. So when i have god with me, i dont bother about revenge, he is there, to do it for me, and that toof or free.i just forget that person, as though he never existed for me.

i am a human being, i forgive if the other asks for it, if i do wrong, i ask for forgiveness, if he does not forgfive me, that is his proble, oi have made my peace with myself.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Thank you for your response. I am delighted to know that your DH is a great fan of Dr.Dyer and at least we have already identified one common subject we can talk about if we get to meet each other. I haven't read all of his books but did get a chance to read a few of his books. He has the ability to elevate people through his books. He talks passionately about joining the super highway of energy that already exists in this world by our effort and the rest will take care of itself.

I agree forgiving is some what connected with our sense of self and what we believe as righteousness, but forgiving most importantly tied with peace. In my view, the idea of forgiving has nothing to do with exonerating the harm committed by someone but to arrest the resentment in us that could hurt our self-confidence and enthusiasm in life. The resentment is an emotional reaction to what has happened and doesn't go away even if we settle score with that person. It will go away not by an external effort but our own internal effort. Even though forgiving our close friends and family is difficult but it is very important to do so.

Thank you for sharing Richard Bach's quote. It might be hard to remove negative attachments but when we think of harm it could cause to us in the long run, we can understand the importance of that effort. It is a thought created by our own reactive emotion after all and with control of mind, we can eliminate it.

We learn so much from the teachings of these stalwarts and what is heartening to know is that we all read them because there is some sense of righteousness in us to conduct a meaningful life. It doesn't matter who the messiah is but the interest to learn their teachings and the habit to assimilate and practice them makes a big difference in our lives.

Viswa