1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forcing to pierce baby boy ears from In-laws relatives on DH

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Reesha, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I am going to get new problem in next month. as part of traditional function, we need to cut hair of my 9th month baby boy. I don’t have any problem with that. But we have process of piercing baby ears too even it is boy. I hate this process.

Even it is very pain full to baby, we are staying in India. So if it is baby girl, I don’t have option to oppose piercing. But in Andhra, we no need to wear rings for baby boy. So just to satisfy traditions & to satisfy relatives I need to make my little boy cry. After that he need to bare pain of it for few days or months( I also L ). I don’t like it. Strictly I am opposing piercing to my baby from 3 months onwards. I am not getting force from my FIL & MIL too much because their first grandchild baby boy also not pierced. The are OK with my decision. We (ME & PIL) are staying in city. So we are not caring traditions that much. we are conducting this function at native place with help of FIL’s brother. FIL brother’s family are villagers. In that function other baby girl also going to pierce her ears. so they are forcing my DH to pierce my baby boy ears too. My DH didn’t say NO to my decision from 3 months onwards. But from 1 week onwards, after their(FIL’s brothers) pressure, he also opposing my decision. DH also saying, it will be good for boy. No one understand my pain & my baby pain after piercing thing happened.

Dear ILites,
    Please suggest me how to oppose/ handle piercing to my baby in smooth way with relatives if the do pressure on me in function?

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If you feel strongly about it...put your foot down. Tell in laws to have the function at their place ...or tell them to make sure this does not happen.Tell husband you will make a scene if this happens during the ceremony.Usually...that scares people.

2 people like this.
  3. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

to do it or not should be ur's and ur H call... it shud not be influenced by others,..

tell ur H that u dont like this and as such cannot participate in the function...

4. shruti1487

shruti1487 Bronze IL'ite

Is your husband's ears pierced? If no, tell him to first pierce his ears. If yes, tell your PIL to fetch photos of your husband's ceremony's and show it to him, how much he cried. Show him a youtube video of baby crying when ears are pierced and drop few tears infront of him.
    example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuZ7nBfN48

5. scale

scale Silver IL'ite

First of all, I can understand you love and care towards your 9 month baby.You don't want your baby to go through any pain. That's fine.

As someone suggested, if you create a scene out of this it will spoil your relationship with family members going forward. Please don't do it.

Following traditional value is not a bad idea. Ear Piercing is a common tradition that is still being followed by so many people. As we get modernized we feel that some of the traditions are useless and awkward . Our culture and family values are still alive because most of the people still following traditional things like this. Every tradition we follow has some meaningful facts behind but we might not be aware of it.

While piercing, the baby will go through pain for just few minutes after that it becomes normal. Don't worry much about the pain. In my point of view, one of the beautiful photo a kid can ever have is the one taken during ear piercing function. It may bring tears of pain during the piercing but when you look at this photo after so many years it may bring tears of happiness.

Just shared my view on this. :)

3 people like this.
  6. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

If at all you have to go with piercing option , try to get a gunshot done. Its pain free atleast the baby will not be uncomfortable.

1 person likes this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I read this in a blog
    "
    Please note that not piercing the ear does not have any serious ramifications. As a hindu ritual it helps, and is also now revered by the Chinese in the name of Acupunture. The meridian points in the ear lobes connect to the left and the right hemisphere of human brain, and the piercing has the activation impact. Similar effect of brain activation may achieved by doing the ‘Thoppukuranam’ or sit-ups. -

See more at: http://blog.ishtadevata.com/the-science-behind-ear-piercing.html#sthash.wRXGljmy.dpuf"

Not agreeing, just adding info :)

3 people like this.
  8. scale

scale Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this info:)

9. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

It is good to follow family traditions, but that does not mean that others have control over our bodies or our bodily functions.

Tell them you respect their traditions and customs, but you do not wish the ear piercing to be practiced on your son. Period.

No need for further clarification. Even if somebody probs you to give the reason, no need to give any specific reason or justification. Just say you have made the decision based on various reasons.

2 people like this.
  10. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Very nice post hrastro!

At my workplace, I am the only Indian/Hindu, and I am subjected to various kinds of 'questions' on my traditions and religion.

I try not to retort back, but once I told them that all our practices and customs have a scientific basis, like the benefit of cow's milk, which scientists have now linked to the special structure of the cow's spinal cord, and so many such examples.

I asked a co worker, if there is any scientific reason for her traditions like eating animals which have slit hooves like cows and not eating the meat of animals with joint hooves like horses...............and as I expected she had no answer.

1 person likes this.