1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forced to pierce the nose!!!Anybody else???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shakambari, Sep 5, 2009.

1. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

seems like independence can be on different levels... the independency from societies judgement or families expectations is due to emotional reasons muchh harder to gain then academic and economic one i guess... thanks for sharing ur friends story and your thoughts about it, its applicable to many women i guess

2. Msoma86

Msoma86 Junior IL'ite

Nothing wrong in doing this, even mine was done by my MIL - its our custom

3. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

While I think it looks very attractive, especially on brides, models and actresses, I never fancied having my nose pierced. I always assumed that most of them were wearing artificial nose rings that didn't require piercings. Reading this thread shook my bubble a bit, because I didn't know would-be brides were forced to have their noses pierced by their in-laws in this day and age. I have many friends who have had their noses pierced, but they all did it out of their own choice long before marriage. The only odd case I know of was when a friend, who was only 19 at the time, got married. Her husband had bought her a diamond nose-ring and requested her to get her nose pierced. As infatuated as she was, she happily agreed telling me "his wish is my command".

4. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

Just ridiculous...

I pity her situation,where her parents didn't even help her... how can some one let others subject their child to go thru this.. no matter how desperate they are for getting the daughter this is not the right way....

what kind of relation ship is that...

hope she can get out of that marriage,,,

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Wow! Such a big deal about the nosering.

In our community it is common for married women to have a nosering. My mother and all her sisters had their nose pierced before marriage. The first thing my father asked my mother to do was get rid of it. She has not worn one since then.

When I got engaged, my MIL sent a message through my husband that I needed to pierce my nose. He posed it as a question
    "amma wants to know if you would like to pierce your nose"
    I politely replied (all this via chat...not even on phone) that I could still remember the pain of getting my ears pierced (at a little over a year old....and its the honest truth...that picture is still so vivid in my mind) and hence NOPE, I wouldn't want another needle making a hole someplace on my body.

To this day I am the only woman in my inlaws side without a pierced nose. She still tells me
    "you are the only daughter in law in this whole family who does not wear a nosering"
    And my response has always been
    "amma....so nice right? That your daughter in law is different from everybody else"

I say this with a smile and she has no option but to just agree with me.

4 people like this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Customs like these forced on women are equivalent to cattle being taken for branding.

Why would any woman- educated or uneducated, young or old, financially independent or not, 1st marriage or 5th would subject themselves to it, is beyond me.

Thank God, I live in a world where I never even heard of this forced custom until today.

4 people like this.
  7. Msoma86

Msoma86 Junior IL'ite

I think for indian girls its good - i am enjoying though i was insisted to get it pierced - Soma

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

How about the next time a lady is asked to pierce her nose before marriage, she turns to her fiance and says 'after you, hon'!laugh1smiley

5 people like this.
  9. ragapriyaa

ragapriyaa Silver IL'ite

Sad to see an ilite making the issue personal. Let's discuss the issue and not each other.

10. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

I wonder why forcing people to get their bodies pierced according to another's whim does not get counted as battery. notdonesmiley

2 people like this.